Home Selling in Redwood City>Question Details

Stillshopping, Other/Just Looking in San Carlos, CA

Recommendations of Home Inspectors who are THOROUGH.

Asked by Stillshopping, San Carlos, CA Sat Jan 31, 2009

In my quest for a new home, I've read many a home inspection report. There seems to be a wide range of "quality" in these reports. I think I just read 20 pages of "typical for the area", "inaccessible", "not in the scope of this inspection", and "contact a qualified specialist"; there seemed to be very little substance. The property has a pool & spa, and there was no mention of it at all. There was a fireplace that wasn't mentioned at all. Etc.

Can anyone recommend some inspectors who are THOROUGH? (I'm looking in the San Carlos, CA to Los Altos, CA "mid-Peninsula" area.) Will most companies be willing to provide samples of their work?

I've seen some very thorough reports that include photos of any areas of concern, tests of appliances, electrical (lights, etc.), water pressure, heat & A/C systems, comments on things which are not up to current building codes, etc. So, I know they're out there!

Answers

4
Getting an inspection is one thing, understanding it is another. I use Paul Acklin with Inspectech because he has a unique way of explaining things to buyers. Communication you can understand. He does pools and spa's, and is also a former roofing contractor so you actually get a roof inspection without paying for one.

Another great thing about Paul is he is always available to go over your inspection if you have questions later. Whether it's a week later or 4-5 years later.

Paul's number is 800-285-3001, cell 650-520-5676.

Dave Tap Tapper
Cashin Comany
http://www.Davidtapper.com
650-403-6252
Web Reference: http://www.Teamtapper.com
Try JayDeWolf 650 348-9022.
I have worked with Jay for probably 15 years now.
I have him look at properties I buy and ones my clients buy.
I recommend him highly.

You can get as many inspections as you want
termite
home inspection
lead inspection
mold inspection
geologic inspection if on a hillside

Inspectors typically do not do destructive testing - like opening up walls - if you owned a home would you want a buyer to put holes in your walls? There are electrical wires and plumbing fixtures that run inside walls and there is no practical way to inspect each foot of wire or plumbing.

I think you also need to consider that most homes in our area are like 50 years old.
Maintaining a home is just part of owning a home.
If you buy a home and the hot water heater goes in two years, it does not mean it was a poor inspection.
It just means it was time for the hot water heater to go.
Even brand new homes sometimes have problems.

Good luck on your home search but I would suggest that your expectations be tempered by the reality of the typicals homes on the Peninsula.
Stillshopping, I have an inspector I work with exclusively. He mixes the classical property inspection with environmental testing. He's not the standard "2-hour/$200" inspection by any means. I have advised my clients to walk away from purchases many times due to what was uncovered via the environmental testing.

Here’s how an environmental inspection works:
A base air sample is taken on the outside of the home to get a reading of what allergens, fungus, molds, and bacteria are present. These are compared to interior air samples. “Red flags” show up in the lab results (i.e. a mold count significantly higher than outside). In addition, various "gadgets" are used to identify issues, such as moisture meters that provide the moisture content of different materials within the house. An environmental inspection takes the guesswork out of wondering what’s behind the walls using basic science.

If you want to learn more, contact me offline via email. You will be glad you did.

Best, Steve
Still,

Consider taking a look at the web resource http://www.linkedin.com it is a site used by professionals to publish and recommend the professional services of others.
We find it helpful in many ways.