Curt Morrison, Home Buyer in 45242

Ranch versus Two-Story

Asked by Curt Morrison, 45242 Tue Sep 29, 2009

Is it easier to sell a ranch or a two-story home on the east side of Cincinnati (i.e., 45245)? That is, which style is preferred by the greatest number of buyers? Assume same square footage and quality.

A two-story home costs less to build than a ranch with equal square feet, but does it sell for less?

Answers

13
Hi Curt,

Your question doesn't have a simple answer.

The level of interest goes beyond which sells better. Buyers have all different reasons for selecting either a ranch or a 2-story, ie. has bad knees - need a ranch or has a growing family - needs a 4 bedrm 2-story.

If you're trying to determine which style of home is better for resale in the future, with proper pricing and being in above average condition, you should be ok with either style.

If you're looking at a new(er) subdivision, where pricing is pretty comparable, keep an eye out for what home sale prices are doing.

Curt, you asked a very detailed question. If you'd like to discuss this more by email or phone, please contact me at dan@danweis.com or (513) 615-1890.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 29, 2009
With similar lots, area, size,etc., I feel a ranch will sell better here on the east side. There are many more two stories and not as many good quality ranches.

As the population gets older on average, there are more folks looking to downsize. With the slower economy, I have noticed several younger families wanting to downsize and looking for single floor living.

Overall there are more buyers looking for a 2 story home simply because they usually offer more square footage for the price.

I was curious about the number of days on the market for ranches vs 2 story homes so I ran a couple of searches for for homes sold in the past 6 months in Clermont County with at least 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. Here are the results

For ranches: 239 homes sold, Average Sale Price was $153,843, and the Average Days on the market was 74
For 2 stories: 401 homes sold, Average Sale Price was $234,527, and the average days on the market was 76.
Any home will sell if its priced competitively for the market. An Agent can let you know approx how much your home should sell for.
I don't think there is a "right" or wrong answer to your question. Both type homes are in demand..I do believe that the home needs to be priced right..in great condition ( staged correctly), and you do need a great Realtor to help you sell either type home. Anyone can put it in the MLS..you need a Realtor who has a great website or more, so that people who are looking for homes, and the last article I read from NAR said 87% of people looking for homes, start on the internet, will not only find you but be able to see thru pictures and maybe a virtual tour how nice your home is. I hope this helped..If I can be of any help..please don't hesitate to call me @ 513-315-9295. Have a great day!
Web Reference: http://www.sandybakst.com
I agree with the other posts here. In addition to the facts you were given I would also consider the fact that the aging population has created an increased demand for one story homes. The trend has gone from one story to two story back to one story homes again. Even starter families are starting to see the benefits of a one story home. Finished basements do help increase the square footage and expand the opportunities for familys to increase the living area. There is no hard and fast rule but I seem to sell more ranch homes as new construction homes than I do two story homes. Have a great day!
Derek Tye
513-478-3794
Curt I have found that a ranch with a good layout and a basement will sell quicker than most other properties in our area. There are people that want/need one level living and will only look at ranches. People that do not need to have everything on one floor will look at ranchs if there is enough room in them and they have the area or rooms that they need. A nice sized ranch in our area is going to get more showings in my experience. Price and condition will sell it.

By the way when are you going to partner up with an agent?
Web Reference: http://www.Find1Home.com
There are buyers for both... the BEST thing to look at is what is the NORM for the EXACT neighborhood you are looking in... NOT just the area but the specific neighborhood... you are usually better off being in the majority for the neighborhood... that being, beds, baths, fireplaces, style... anything...

If the square footage and quality is the same, it comes down to whatever the buyer prefers. Some people don't want steps, others don't mind. The both are pretty equal in the Cincinnati Market.
Web Reference: http://www.LRES.info
Hi Curt,

In my opinion, I believe you should consider the neighborhood. If the neighborhood is primarily 2 story homes, then the 2 story home is more likely to attract your greatest number of buyers at resale. If primarily the homes are ranch, then a ranch is more likely to attract your greatest numbers of buyers at resale.

In general though, a 2 story home is easier to sell than a ranch because it's the typical sell in our area. If I were making a purchase and resale were my concern, I'd lean toward a 2 story with basement, but if my plan is to make this my home for long time, I'd buy what I want and for me that means I leand toward a ranch with basement.

Good luck with your search for a home and don't hesitate to call or e-mail if you need help,

Ken Ferguson
There are buyers for both type homes so I am not sure there is a "right" answer. More important than the style of the home is the condition, price and choosing a good sellers agent. At least as far as the items you can control. A good article on choosing a good sellers agent is in the web reference below. I also have information on staging and pricing.

If you'd like to discuss this more, please contact me at 513-703-6523 or Jim@JimSellsHomes.com
The ease of sale is equal here. With more information from you I could give you a better assessment. Are you asking with regard to resale in the future? Do you currently have one to sell and want information about expected time on the market prior to sale? Please contact me and let's talk. I can help with your dilemna.
Hello Curt,

I am on the West Side, but wanted to say that both Dan & Karen had great answers.

Curt, it all comes down to what the comparison sales are in a community. It differs by location. Appraisers typically look at closest radius staying in the .5 mile radius (in same neighborhood) and comparable sales in the past 6 months.

Happy House Hunting or Selling!
Sheri Mapes the Cincy House Expert
(513) 253-7156
Size and style of home never matter as much as pricing, location and ammenities. Marketing is the key in either style of home as there are qualified buyers looking for both.