Matt, Home Buyer in Finn

REMOVING A WEBSITE LISTING AFTER PURCHASE OF A HOME - HOW LONG IS CUSTOMARY?

Asked by Matt, Finn Wed Oct 17, 2007

I purchased a home through the seller's agent approximately 1 month ago. My home is still on their website and referenced as "sold". Do I have any rights to require them to remove my home at this point? I feel that 1 month is long enough to show the house as "sold".

Many thanks,
Matt

Answers

7
The agent and broker may keep the sold status on their website for as long as they like. Property transfer data is public record, so therefore you can't mandate that they remove it. The same data appears on several other places. While there may be some drawbacks to this, it is the public access and transparancy that protects consumers and aids them in evaluating purchase and sale decisions. In other countries that do not have info avaiable to the public, it is much harder and much riskier to make purchase and sale decisions. As a recent buyer, you gained benefit from the open access to property information. Since it is public information, the agent(s) who sold the property may keep that data on their website, as long as it is accurate.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Follow up: The realtor did remove his sign and remove the listing from his website. I'm happy about it.
It is perfectly ok for the Realtor to advertise the property as sold on their website. The listing belonged to the broker that had it listed.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Removing the sign from the house is cool. the fact that you left it on for longer than a day after you moved in is awesome. however, the fact remains that the agent did sell your house. Soemthing they did helped procure a cause and therefore most agents would agree - and future clients of this agent - that it is good to know that the agent you dealt with has a successful history selling homes. Besides his sites, there are several sites, like homethinking, that track sales and attach them to agents.

This is similar to many other professions that display letters, photos of sold items, photos of clients, testimonials etc on their site, or within their office. It is just a way to say - "hey, look I did it before, here are some examples"

That being said it is your house, and I would respect a clients wishes, they may be able to modify the detail and keep the price, neighborhood and date.
Thanks for your replies. I should also mention that I have allowed this realtor who represented the seller in the transaction to leave their sign which also says, "sold" on my lawn for the past month as well.
I just think that I've been gracious enough with allowing the sign to remain on my lawn and believe that along with the website photo should be done with by now. While it is a public record I don't believe I owe it to the agency to keep letting my home be an advertisement for them.
Hello Matt. I think this is not necessarily a matter of right. I would think that the agent would honor your request to remove the listing from the website. At least I would not insist on keeping a sold listing on my site if the new owner did not like it and it does not matter whether you were my client or not. I would just contact your agent and ask for the listing to be removed from the website. I am curious why it bothers you that it's still on the site. Did you have a bad experience with this agent?
Web Reference: http://www.theMLShub.com
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA
IHi, Matt,

t depends on the MLS system, but, usually it can stay there forever. It's a pubklic record.