NURSEEJONES, Home Buyer in Concord, NC

Quiet Title? Money held at Closing

Asked by NURSEEJONES, Concord, NC Wed Jun 9, 2010

I sold a home that was inherited in 2005, I always thought the house was paid off. Well in the process of selling the settlement company found that my father took out a loan from a bank and the loan was not paid in full. Before I sold the house, I never received any bills and have no documentation regarding this matter. So the settlement company held almost $10,000. To this date they still have the money and never paid the company. I was told to file a Quiet title?? Is this true, can I file this on my own or would I need a lawyer?

Answers

3
Oy, why would you want to do this on your own? I find it interesting that people consider trying to handle complicated legal procedures on their own when they wouldn't dream of doing things like performing surgery on themselves.

At the very least, consult with an attorney and explain your situation. Consult with a couple of attorneys. They usually don't charge for an initial consultation. From there, you can decide if someone is willing to work for YOUR best interests and not charge you an arm or a leg. That way, you'll know it's being handled correctly so you can walk away with no worries about future repercussions.
Hi, is this in Minnesota or North Carolina?
For accurate advice, do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate and see exactly what options you may have.