Home Selling in Sandpoint>Question Details

ashley, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

Owner decides to sell the house 2 months after I move in..

Asked by ashley, Los Angeles, CA Wed Mar 6, 2013

I moved in this house November 1st after signing a 1 year lease agreement, two months later I receive an email saying that the owner wants to sell the house and the day after they did the first showing. Since then it has been non stop people in and out of the house. I work from home and have a dog which means I have to leave the house every time they come. They even came 2 times on Sundays and last week stayed 2 hours with 5 or 6 people for an inspection while I was working and left the house with dirt everywhere knowing the cleaning lady was there the day before. Now they ask me to leave the house for an hour on a week day to do an appraisal. What can I do? can I ask a discount for the disturbance? I told them I was looking for a long term place since I moved my office in the house, etc. Now I don't know what's going to happen if I will have to move out or not.. I stopped furnishing the house and I live in a half empty house I might be kicked out of.. Need advices.. THKS

Answers

3
Your situation will definitely require review of your actual written lease. Typically, the lease will state what type of access the owner will have during the lease, what type of notice is required, and for what specific purpose they are allowed access. The legal term for this is "quiet enjoyment".

Typically, a new owner would buy the home "subject to" your lease since your agreement would pre-date theirs to buy it. There might be a cancellation clause that would need to be reviewed as well.

There are landlord tenant laws that need to be adhered to in your case.

It may be that the owner is not aware of them either. If after you read the lease carefully, visit the issue with the seller to see if you can come to an agreement. If not, hire yourself a decent attorney that deals with this part of the law.

Best of luck!
In Idaho, the landlord has the right to sell the home, however, the new owner may be required to honor the terms of the lease.

You should start by making sure you have a clear understanding of the terms of that lease. It may be worth it to have an attorney review and give you some advice. You may want to call the state's attorney general for some clarification on your rights as a tenant.

In most cases, a landlord is required to give a 24 hour notice prior to accessing the home (check to see how it is stated in your lease, if it's not addressed then it would default to state law). You do have the right to quiet enjoyment of the property, however, you don't want to violate your landlords rights as well.

It doesn't sound like a pleasant situation and the money paid for legal counsel would probably be well spent in your case.
Hello Ashley, First I must ask what the sellers have said to you regarding your one year lease. If you are having an inspection on the house, it sounds like there is an accepted offer. If there are not any terms in the lease addressing any cancellation,. you should be able to stay there until that lease runs out. Read the lease very carefully. The seller may have to buy out the lease and offer you money to move out before the yr. is over. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of further help.