Home Selling in Richmond>Question Details

Richmondguy, Home Seller in Richmond, VA

Our realtor is slow to return calls and has done very little other than get on us on the MLS. We still have pictures on the website from February

Asked by Richmondguy, Richmond, VA Wed May 19, 2010

with deep snow! Is this typical and what should we do? 100 days on market with only six showings.

Answers

13
You are right in that this is NOT what you should expect from a Realtor. The Realtor should have weekly updates for you on what is happening with your listing and keep pictures updated so that your listing always looks fresh. Pictures are key to Buyers wanting to physically wanting to look at your home!!

You should also be able to reach your Realtor when you call, but again if they are keeping you updated weekly, you shouldn't have to call them. And, when you call, they should answer! That is one thing that my clients always say.......I answer my phone, I call them back, and I keep them posted on progress of their home.

Even if the home is vacant I call my clients when showings are going to occur and I keep them updated on how I am marketing their home.

You should have a discussion with your Realtor to explain your expectations and if they are not met, you need to move on to a Realtor who will meet your expectations!!
First, it starts with requesting a marketing plan that outlines the activities the agent will conduct to give exposure to your listing. Next, one of the best practices is to schedule is a regular feedback and follow up time with your listing agent - say, every Monday or Tuesday morning. This will give you the opportunity to ask questions and also hear the latest feedback from your agent. A critical look at the average marketing time in your area will yield appropriate expectations about the days on market that are normal for your neighborhood. If your price is in line with the average market, price then you should expect the marketing time to be average as well If your price is low, then you may reasonabley reduce your market time and if it is high, you should increase your time to obtaim a contract.

If your February photos are snowy or you have staged your home or made improvemennts since when it was listed, then, you should definitely request new photos - if nothing has changed then it may not give you any punch to add new photos.. Most agents will be happy to provide new photos.when requested.

Have a frank conversation with your agent to share your expectations. Most agents are eager to provide good service and will welcome straightforward instructions, guidance or requests from sellers.

You should call the realtors Broker! Your realtor should have taken new pictures in the spring and updated the MLS. Your realtor should be giving you feedback from the showings that you have had on the home. The feedback will provide you with information on what you might need to do to help you sell your home.
Hi Richmondguy,

Putting your home on the market is a stressful event, because you think that an offer can come in at any time. Every day you come home and look to see if there are any Realtor cards on the table reflecting a showing, and when you see none, it's frustrating. There are a lot of people that can feel your frustration.

I have a few comments to offer you.

1. I agree you should first disucss this with your agent. Give them an opporunity to correct the responsiveness. No excuse for that, even if there is no news, they should respond and tell you there is no news. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, I would follow the advise that you've heard in the other comments about speaking to the broker to either have the listing reassigned, or to break the listing agreement. At 100 days, I'm guessing you don't have much longer before your agreement expires anyway.

2. A refresh of the pictures is worthwhile. A snowy exterior reinforces that the home has been on the market for a while, and if no one else wants it, why would I.

3. Is the home in the right condition to sell? You're not the best judge of this, because most likely you've not been in other homes for sale to see what the competition looks like. Ask your agent to take you out to 3-5 homes in the area that are in your price range. See what other buyers are seeing, and decide whether there are any improvements needed on your home to make it more attractive. Listen to what your agent has to say, and ask them to be brutally honest. That way they'll know you're giving them permission to share their real feelings. Too many agents are too afraid of hurting your feelings with the truth. The trade off is the house sits unsold.

4. Price, condition and location are the other key aspects. You can't control location, but you can impact the other two factors. Only 6 showings in 100 days indicates to me that you have a problem with either location or price. Again, ask your agent for the unvarnished truth.

What about your agents marketing plan? How are they marketing the house? Are they doing open houses, have they done a brokers open? What type of person/family will buy your house? Where do they likely live now? Is your agent marketing there? Are they marketing on the internet? Forget about print advertising. No one looks there anymore.

Andy
Hello, Richmondguy,
I am very sorry to hear that you you are unhappy with how your listing is going. Selling a home is very stressful in and of itself, without having to be unhappy with how your Realtor is handling your listing. Have you talked to your Realtor? I would hope that in the 100 days you have been on the market you and your Realtor have had conversations. I know you indicate that the Realtor is slow to return calls, but when they do return the calls, have you expressed concern about the pictures that on MLS and other websites? Have you expressed concern about the fact that the Realtor is not returning your calls promptly? I would certainly try to work out your concerns with your agent first and, then, if no satisfaction, then get in touch with the agent's broker. You mentioned that in the 100 days on the market, you have only had 6 showings - have you questioned your Realtor about the reason why? Perhaps having a sit down meeting with your Realtor at their office will help to get things rolling in the right way for you. I would make a list of all the concerns you are having with your listing - from the Realtor being slow to return your calls to pictures still up on the website/MLS with snow on the ground to only having 6 showings in 100 days and see what solutions you and your Realtor can work out to turn the listing around. If no satisfaction with the Realtor, then definitely go to the next level, which is the managing broker for your agent's company. Good luck to you!

Barbara A. Reagan
Long & Foster Realtors
804-869-1191
Did you ask your Realtor their business plan to assist you? What is price of your home? Is it consider to be a luxury home in your market, higher price less showings due to less people can afford purchase a home .

Is your home located in a family community? What are the DOM ?

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
As my other fellow agents have said - you need to talk with your agent and express your concerns about the progress. I myself had several listings that were taken during the snow and I've gone back and taken new shots of the exterior now that Spring is here and as we all know homes show much better in the Spring Market due to the foilage/flowers. I'd be more than happy to talk with you if you decide to interview for a new agent to get your home back on the market. I do talk with all of my Sellers weekly, we do review market sales and conditions regularly and feedback is given after showings on the home within a day or two.
If I can be of further assistance to you please contact me and feel free to visit my website for testimonials from my Sellers.
No, this is not typical. An agent should be attentive and should return your calls in a timely matter. Call and tell them you're not satisfied with their performance and go from there.
If you are not satisfied with the services rendered, do discuss all issues with your agent--if all else fails, contact the broker owner of the realty company and ask to be assigned another agent for the duration of your listing agreement. In the meantime, it's possible your agent isn't prompt with returning calls, because he/she may not have anything to report--if you have been on the market for as long as stated with limited showings, do review comps--recently sold similar properties in the immediate area, see if the data suggests a price reduction, if so adjust accordingly, after all a property is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what the seller needs or potential buyer can afford to spend--pricing and marketing are paramount in today's market--review strategies with your agent and go from there.
We often find the seller's expectations are different from the agents and you may be asking the wrong questions. For example, I'm more concerned that you don't have offers than I am about having conversations. Are you in a declining market? Are you priced to sell? How many homes in your price range have sold in the last 14 days? Why wasn't yours one of those that sold? Rather than asking why you don't hear anything, ask what can be done to attract buyers...
This is a sad question to read. I am sorry you are having difficulties, but before you do as Michael suggested I hope that you will try and talk to the Realtor. Tell your Realtor why you are unhappy and what you expect tfrom them to change the situation. If, after giving them the opportunity to change you are still unhappy, then I would contact the broker. When you list a home you work with the Realtor, but you are actually listing the house with the broker. It is in the brokers best interest to make you happy.
Call their broker. Voice your displeasure. Ask to improve the working relationship. Give them a chance to fix the problem, if not ask for a termination of the listing contract and then find another agent who comes highly recommended from other people you know and trust!