Home Selling in Eden Prairie>Question Details

MN Shadow, Other/Just Looking in 55344

Our 6 month contract is up, is it ok to sign a new contract with a different realtor at this time?

Asked by MN Shadow, 55344 Thu Jan 22, 2009

Answers

10
Yes....make sure you interview 3+ agents as everyone is different.
Diane -

It looks like you got some great answers from the crew here. I would agree with all of them. It is important to interview a few different agents. When you pick a new agent, I would have them put everything that they are promising to do in writing. That can be done in your listing and representation contracts.

I have a couple that is looking to buy in Eden Prairie. If you get a chance, send me some info on your home. You never know, it might be a good fit!

Brad Fox - Realtor
Dwell Realty Partners
brad@dwellrealtypartners.com
612-685-3890
Diane-

Just a thought, but if you sign up with another agent, you might want to give your previous agent some feedback. Let them know what you liked and disliked about their marketing, follow up, etc, and also the main reason for going with someone else. We all like feedback, and I for one find that I can only improve myself and my business by knowing what I have done well and not so well. Good Luck!
Diane,

According to the realtors code of ethics a realtor must attempt to determine if a client is under contract with another agent. Be prepared for that question.

Review your contract and double check the expiration date. Remember that in MN, the MAR approved form has a hold over clause stating that you may owe the previous broker a commission if the house sells if a couple of things fall into place AND you don't hire a new agent in the mean time.

Good luck!!

Cameron Piper
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com
Yes, Diane, according the standard MN contracts, it would generally seem allowed. You would need to know the particulars of your individual contract, so read carefully.

As my esteemed colleague Aaron says here, we would be most pleased to inform you about our individual processes. Luckily, we are all unique enough that each style has a different appeal to buyers and sellers for different reasons.
You need to read the contract double check all terms and conditions. Undetermined if you are a buyer or seller, however if expired NO OTHER strings attached you should be able to work with another realtor.

NOW IF you looked at homes with 1st realtor they would be agent represent on purchase based on terms of executed agreement.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Most standard listing agreements would permit you to do so however since we are not privy to your contract language none of us can make a guarantee.

If the contract has indeed expired then you would be free to hire a new agent of your choice. Lots of us on here would be happy to sit down with you and discuss our capabilities... we all do things a little different!
Web Reference: http://www.AaronSOLD.com
It is okay as long as the contract has expired. My question to you is this: Why didn't the house sell?
As long as there is not a second longer contractual date, you may list with another agent. Some listing contracts call for a 15 day written notice after the 6 month date. Frances Ross, Coldwell Banker D'Ann Harper, Realtors, San Antonio, TX ,fross@cbharper.com
Web Reference: http://francesross.com
Diane,

Absolutely,

However, double check the dates on your agreement to be certain they as you think they are. It's would not be good to have to simultaneous contracts.