Home Selling in Brooklyn>Question Details

Nikki, Home Seller in 11214

Our inherited coop has a wall splitting the livingroom in half and creating a 2nd "bedroom". Should we take down the wall before selling?

Asked by Nikki, 11214 Thu Sep 27, 2012

We want to sell, but I am worried about the wall the previous owner put up. The living room is tiny and windowless, and the second bedroom doesn't have a closet. The wall does look fine enough, and there isn't electricity or pipes going through it, and it sits on top of the wood flooring- so demolition should be easy- but I don't want to remove it if we don't have to.

Answers

8
Kevin’s answer
I would wait for the Buyer to put in their 2 cents. A Buyer might want the wall there creating a "2 bedroom" situation, now whether it is a "legal" 2 bed depends on the square footage of the room (~70 square feet being the minimum) and needs to have a window with a view (not beach view) that is anything other than the wall of the building next door. Being that it is windowless it won't be a legal 2 bedroom but will be listed as a 1 bedroom with a small private room "perfect for Uncle Tom that had a little fight with the Misses and needs a place to stay for the night" :))

If a Buyer says remove it and they will buy, remove it or reduce the price a little bit to cover the cost of getting it done (get a free repair estimate or offer to do it yourself if you are familiar with this kind of work) The Buyer gets a discount on the price (may do it themselves or higher someone to do it for less) and you're happy you sold the property without worrying about "The Wall".

All the Best!
Hello, it only makes sense to remove the wall if it makes sense to the layout. If the room looks awkward and makes the living room way to small and or the bedroom is too small. If you would like me to come and take a look I would gladly give you a professional opinion.
Maybe. Would have to see it, but it does not sound that great based on your description.
Web Reference: http://www.bverealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
I would suggest you put the house AS IS on the market for the next 90 days. If there is no buyer in the next 90 days, then you can re-evaluate the idea. If possible, paint the unit and sand the floors.

If you would like to work with a realtor contact me anytime at 914-299-0420
Hi Nikki
Not necessarily because a couple with a child may want it just the way it is. I would also like
the opportunity to visit with you and see the apartment as I may have a buyer for it. Give me
a call and we can set up a convenient appointment.
madelinepadovano@fillmore.com
7183328800 -
Nikki, It is illegal to put up a wall dividing a room into 2 without approval from NYC. In NY a bedroom must have a closet and a window. You need to take down the illegal wall before listing it. No real estate attorney I know would let their clients buy an illegal 2.
How would we find out if the wall was put up legally? Unfortunately, the previous owner was not particularly good at keeping records.
Flag Fri Sep 28, 2012
First question you should ask yourself: " How much am I looking to get out of this coop and what would it cost? You want to make your coop "show ready" to get the best price possible, but sometimes it's just not worth all the hassle. I have been in real estate for over 15 years, if you would like, you can call me anytime and i will come and take a look at it... At no obligation to you.

Here is my cell # : 212 300 3919

Luke Constantino
Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate
325 Court Street
C: (212) 300-3919
O: (718) 935-6135
F: (917) 369-2690
lukeconstantino@elliman.com
Hi Nikki,

As a Brooklyn coop expert, I'd like to give you some sound advice about your unit. What I'd like to do is make an appointment to see the space and meet with you to hear about your ideas. It may not be necessary to make any changes to your space in order to sell.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Jeanette Colegrove
Fillmore Real Estate
646-258-8198