David Schwar…, Other/Just Looking in 85254

Our home was on the market for sale and or lease. We had 0 visitiers looking to buy our house (80 days,

Asked by David Schwartz, 85254 Fri Dec 14, 2007

price was too high) We recently leased our home. Since we got a lease we took the house off the market. Ever since, we have been getting tons of calls from Realtors asking us if we wanted to relist with them in the future. The first question i ask them is how come they didnt bring any buyers to look at our house. Suprisingly, the majority who actually answered that question answered that they try to take buyers to their listings only. Is this normal practice? When I do relist, should i go with the realtor that does the most volume because of this?

David

Answers

37
agents who say, "i only show my own listings..." as they try to get your listing are LYING A$$HOLES... do not list with them. 85254 is a nice zip, but is under extreme price pressure. There are currently 70 foreclosed or short sale homes in that zip on the MLS today, up from 50 a few months ago. I like that zip, and may buy another home there, but right now, I would expect prices to continue falling.
No, pick a realtor who does a realistic market analysis of the homes competiting against you in your area and tells you the brutal truth. You can then decide on the course of action best for you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 18, 2008
You need to pick a Realtor who is committed to get the job done and use all this marketing tools to get your home exposed. If you hire a Realtor who is going to use your home to pick up New business - You have picked the wrong Realtor. You need a stong listing agent who does only that and that is to expose and guide you in the right direction to price and any advise to make your property more appealing.
As a listing agent- the job that I have is to make sure we are priced right. Make sure the home has no issue that will be a turn off to potential buyers and then use my negotiating skills to get my clients the most money possible. In this strong buyers market - Price is key and all the old addages of pricing to what the last home like yours sold for is out the window. Price and exposure need to be monitored on a weekly and even daily basis and adjustments need to be made to get folks looking at your property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2007
There are a lot of answers to your questions already. The only thing I might add is find and agent that will tell you the truth. It is amazing how a poor agent will fold like a chair when helping set a price for home. I have had prospective seller’s tell me “you just want my home price low so it will sell”. My answer to that is ‘you are right’. By the way most agents are commission based employees, so the higher that price for you the better financially it is for us. Plus I have met very, very few agents that wouldn’t say that they would love to see the top dollar paid for the home, for their client’s sake. Most of us love what we do and take great price in taking care of our clients.

So you see the one with high amounts of inventory (listings) is the agent that may or may not be for you. If they have a lot of inventory, ask them why? Inventory does not necessarily equate to sales. You need to sell your home not place it on the shelf as inventory.

Find an agent that will stand up for her/himself. One you trust will market the property well.
I would love to help but I work in and around Prescott.
Web Reference: http://bradbergamini.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2007
David,

The agents that answered that they only show their own listings is the wrong answer as agents we are bound by ethics to show any and all listings including FSBO's they may not even pay us! Taking on a listing after 80 days it's obvious you now have a slanted view on agents and you do need to question what they do. I have been a real estate broker for the last 13years and have sold over 500 homes since 2000. Your agent to be needs to do a ton of marketing in this buyers market. I liken it to fishing....how many lines can I toss in the water searching for a buyer?
As far as the agents you had asked about why they didnt bring a buyer is because they didnt have one that matched your home. Buyers are extremely few and far between right now. The secret is pricing your home competitively up front and have an extreme marketing package like I have in place.
Brian Bell
"The Real Estate Guy"
Web Reference: http://www.bellhomesaz.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2007
I totally agree with Cindi, and I will be extra careful with Realtor who said that they only show their own listings to the buyers only instead showing all homes that meet their buyers; needs. To me, those are the Realtors that have their own interest in mind instead of their client's interest in mind.

To the other extreme, if they have a house do they actually limit the marketing so they only show the listing to their own buyers so they can pocket commission from both sides?

Get some good referrals, interview a few Realtors, ask a lot of questions (marketing plan, experience, knowledge about local market, network, effort, commitment, etc); and find the one that works for you needs.

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
I'm surprised at the majority answer that you received: "majority who actually answered that question answered that they try to take buyers to their listings only."

I'm surprised for 2 reasons:

first, in this day and age with the multiple listing services and brokers having their listings on their web sites, it's easy for a buyer to be pro-active in their home search and not have to depend on the agent to show them houses. When my husband and I searched for our home. I scoured the internet. We drove around the neighborhoods we liked. We told our Realtor of listings, she listened and showed us houses that matched our needs and homes that we found ourselves. Not once did she say, "no, that's not my broker's listing and refuse to show it to you."

second, I (in my humble opinion) am troubled as a professional that an agent would take their buyers only to listings that were theirs. This tells me that that agent/broker is only interested in taking the whole commission and really isn't interested in their buyer's needs or their buyer's best interest.

When you do re-list, do what I would do. I would pick a Realtor that gets your house in front of as many buyers as possible, gets your house on the Internet sites that gets the most traffic, has open houses (broker's open house, open house for neighbors), guides you in pricing your home competitively , and is honest with you. You stated before that your home was priced too high. Why didn't your Realtor tell you that w/in the 80 days it was on the market? What a waste of time for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
Excellent question! First of all, if a home does not sell, it usually comes down to Price, Product (your home) or Pitch. (Marketing.) The good thing is, you were able to get it leased!

Realtors are calling you because you are a hot prospct fo future business. As to their answer to your question.....a good Realtor will assess their buyers' needs, then help them find an appropriate home based on those needs. As a Realtor, if I have a home that meets those needs, I certainly show it to them, but I do not limit them to seeing only the homes that I have listed.

Next time around, interview 3 Realtors. Explain what happened the first time around. ASk them how they would market your home differently to get your home sold. Listen carefully. ASk fo examples. ASk for references from other sellers.

Make sure you hire a Realtor...not just an agent...there is a difference!

Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
Cindi Hagley,…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
David,
Most of the time it comes down to price, but there are many other factors that enter into this as well. Curb appeal (the first thing a buyer sees when he arrives outside the property) It could also be the quality of photos taken and placed on the MLS, When was the last time the property was upgraded. The right price, the right staging and availability for showings are key components. You should always have a good line of communication with your Realtor and it should be open and honest.
Prior to listing you home the next time around, have your prospective realtor show you homes similar to yours and make a list of the pros and cons. Spend the time up front, it will pay dividends when buyers come through.
Looking forward to hearing from you 480-322-3411
David,
This question was posted Dec 14, 2007.
It is most likely David's issue has been resolved.
-
In 2007, this was NOT normal practice.
In 2013....you bet it is MUCH more common.....for many, many reasons.
Sounds like snakes to me. This happened to me when I listed my brothers house for sale. NO ONE CALLED IN to see it... and then he calls and tells me just hours after we pulled it from the market that agents were knocking on his door claiming to have buyers.

None of them did, they just wanted the listing.

Its a slimy world sometimes, but this is life.
Hi David,

You don't want an agent that takes buyers to their own listings only. This is not ethical real estate practice. Think of it from the buyer's point of view: he or she want to see ALL houses that might be suitable, not just the agent's own listings!

To answer the question of why the agents didn't take buyers to see your house, I don't usually take my clients to overpriced listings. I will if they insist, but usually an overpriced house doesn't look good compared with homes in the same price range that are well-priced, so the overpriced one gets sifted out before we even get in the car to go looking.

Correctly pricing the house is the most crucial thing you must do to get a sale. When you are selecting a new Realtor, see how much help you are going to get to make your home as saleable as possible, for the best price. I would be happy to speak with you and explain my marketing strategy, when you are ready to list again.

Ann Griffin, REALTOR, ABR, E-PRO, SRES
Coldwell Banker Trails and Paths
2913 N. Power Rd., Suite 101
Mesa, AZ 85215

480-789-9584
anngmesa@gmail.com
. When you accepted a lease, the sale listing probably showed up as "Cancelled". Many Realtors call the owners of "Cancelled" or "Expired" listings to get a listing.
The main reason a home does not sell is, unfortunately, price. But access, condition and exposure are also very important. Did you have a lockbox on the property? Sometimes if an appointment is needed, Realtors will show one with easier access instead.
The fact that you had no showings is bothersome. Did your agent hold a broker open house to introduce it to the Realtor community? An open house for the public is also a good idea, especially if the neighbors are invited. Were there lots of photos on the listing? The MLS allows lots of photos per listing. 15-20 is ideal, not only of the house and its amenities, but also of the neighborhood, etc.

Let me know if I can be of help to you.

Barbara McBain
Cambridge Properties
14602 North Tatum Boulevard
Phoenix, Arizona 85032
(602) 697-7258
barbaramcb@cambridgeproperties.com
this is old lol i just thought i'd say hello
I think if the properties in your neighborhood are selling and yours isn't it has to be the price! Even a dump will sell if it's priced right. As far as realtors only showing their office listings, that's crazy. Buyers are so pro active in the search for their homes I find it very hard to believe that if a buyer saw a home on the internet and asked their agent to show it to them and the agent refused.....The buyer would stop working with the agent and find a agent that would. Realtors should be providing good customer service, the buyers and sellers are our customers.
No. That's a silly response "I only take buyers to my listings" Please. This isn't 1957 - it's 2011, and if you are in real estate, you take your buyer to any viable listing they want to see - and they know - believe me - what they want to see, because of the advent of the world wide web. I'm guessing that's a pat answer promoted by one of these silly "real estate in a box" scripted trainers. The best way to find a real estate agent to list your home with is to search listings in your area, blogs and profiles of agents in your area right here on Trulia, or one of the similar sites. You want real answers....a history of helpful responses on an online forum to questions, a pattern of good, solid thinking that paints a picture that resonates with you. We're in an age of transparency...unbiased review sites...honest participation in open forums. Listen to what agents have to say when they aren't trying to sell you something or win your expired listing. Forget the vultures who descend upon you with scripted answers and closing techniques. That's so 1994! lol...and good luck to you!
David,
You home is over priced. I can see that from here. Talk to your agent make sure they understand your goals.
Sometimes when you tell an agent you will only take X price.. they believe you and keep the home listed at a high price thinking you will be happy to wait.
If your not getting showings your just too high.
Best of luck,
Brad
Actually, they just didn't want to tell you that you were asking too much for your home( for what the market could bear) A house on the market for 80 days with 0 visitors is priced too high. To answer your question, it is NOT normal practice for Realtors to take buyers to just their own listings. Good realtors take their buyers to homes that are the style, age and price range that their buyers are pre-qualified for and can afford.....and in neighborhoods that the buyers desire. It IS a foolish realtor who takes clients to just their listings. Interview Realtors and find one that you can connect with and will list your house @ a realistic price and not just at any price to "get the listing"
David

I noticed Rob got a helpful vote for his post on July the 15th. I am going to guess that came from you, so would it be safe for me to assume your delicate sensiblilities were not offended too much? When my agent dropped me, I also got calls of the nature you describe. For the most part, to me, they fit Rob's description quite well, but that just being guy to guy talk.

Hey Rob,

What makes you so sure it was Jeff that took the shot at you? lol I guess you can be a gentleman. BTW, you can ask Maria if your posts over here are honest enough for her. :)
Jeff here would be another type of agent to avoid:

Has no idea about the market, but feeels free to insult people who are honest with you. For years, agents like Jeff have survived hiding behind platittudes, and feigning education or special knowledge. In fact, Jeff doesn't seem to have bothered to read your actual question, hardly what you want from an agent.

Back to the ORIGINAL QUESTION. Why would agents claim that they 'have buyers waiting to buy your home" when they never brought said buyers by while your home was listed? the answer is obivious: they make such statments merely to try to get your listing, but of course they are lying. NOT the type of people you want listing your home.

With 4000+ foreclosures a month, dropping prices, and credit tightening, it is MUCH harder to sell a home today, then any time in the past.

An agent like Jeff, who claims his magic marketing approach will sell your home, is simply lying to you to get a listing.
Greetings David:

First let me apologize for Roberto Ribas non professional response. The real estate profession is no different that any other, be it an educator, doctor, lawyer, or a craftsperson working in their selected field of expertise. They all have their share of people that work in the realm of excellence and then you have the good, bad, and ugly. Any good agent that has their clients fiduciary interest in mind is going to show their clients homes that match their criteria. Given we have a lot of homes on the market today they have an opportunity to prioritize these homes that are the best match. Once that's done they'll take a look at the list of homes and see which ones are offering the most bang for the buck. Buyers today are looking for the best buy that meets their needs. Find a reputable agent that has your interest in mind, one that is honest and give you the best possible market information so you can make an inform decision. Pricing your home right is important any time and in todays market it is specially important. Talk to your friends who recently sold a home in this market and see if they felt good about the agent they partnered with to market their home. Take a look at their internet presence. That's extremely important today because almost 80 percent of the people start their search on the internet today. Take the agents name and type it into Google and see what kind of presence they have. Then type in something that a buyer might use if they were in Canada, Europe or California. It their looking for real estate in Scottsdale they might use that as a search or maybe Scottsdale Real Estate. Web sites are great but only if someone can find your site. Find someone that will market your home and not just place it on the Arizona MLS. Do those things and if your house is in show condition, has a good location and is priced right, you'll be one of those homes that will beat the days on market.

Jeff and Jane Daley
Keller Williams Arizona Realty - Scottsdale
480-595-6412
MailTo:Jeff@LuxuryValleyHomes.com
Hi David, I agree with JR - lack of showings in any market - any region, up or down market, is an indication that the price is too high. It is essential that when you list again that you learn from your prior experience and price it right.

As far as the agents who explained their absence by their unwillingness to show listings other than their own, I would recommend that you strike them from your list. If that mindset is part of their brokerage mindset, then I would avoid the firm as well.

Find a FULL TIME agent that knows the market well, is comfortable with the analytics and consistently engages in all marketing activities. Be sure that he/she includes internet marketing as a key element of their strategy. A firm or agent that wants to limit the view of your home to him/herself or just that firm, is too limiting. You want an agent who is always thinking - including outside the box - of ways to promote your home effectively to the most buyers possible.

You should intervew several agents from a number of firms. Ask them to present a specfiic marketing plan, and pricing analysis. Focus on qualities that matter to you - professionalism, standards of responsiveness, internet savvy, website presence..... Ask for references and be sure to talk with them. I would not recommend that you select the local big shot just because he/she has the name - take the time to find the agent that is right for you. As you well know, a listing period is a long time - you want to be engaged with someone you trust and are comfortable with.

Jeannie Feenick
Weichert Realtors
Search and connect at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
You answered your own question. They didn't bring buyers because your price was too high.

When you relist you should price it right.
Hello David,

That answer does not make sense. I don't know an agent out there that doesn't show the buyer other house besides their own. Are they saying that they would dump the buyer because they did not want to look at the agent listing only? I would show the buyer my listing if it was in the buyers criteria and other listing that fit the buyer's criteria. When you get ready again- Ask these questions-- How long has the agent been selling? What is their ratio to list price to sales price? What is their average time on the market? How many listing of theirs expired? How do they advertise? How many agents does their office have and what is their sales volume? Ask for a reference list of past clients. I hope this helps.
Try this free report: http://www.623HouseDidntSell.com

Donald
David,
No, most Realtors show properties that meet their clients criteria. Expired Listing calls are a standard practice in the Real Estate profession.
Interview Realtors and find a full-time, high producing Realtor. You can receive lists from the various large companies in Phoenix Metro area that list the highest producing agents. You can probably find one in your area.
For Realty Executives, call: (602) 957-0444, and they will refer you to an agent.

Kindest Regards,
Catherine Kolodin, GRI
EcoBroker International
Realty Executives
480.239.7447
ckolodin@gmail.com
There are many reasons a REALTOR® would want to contact you after your listing expires. Perhaps the previous agent was like many who simply want their name on a sign. Maybe they were inexperienced and didn't advise you properly on the right price. The reason they aren't bringing buyers to your listing is probably because the price wasn't right.

As a REALTOR® it's my responsibility to represent your interests as best as I can. Only showing buyers my listings would not be serving the best interest of the client.

When you relist, you should go with the REALTOR® who has your best interests in mind. This is our full time profession and we should treat it as such. I'd say that a REALTOR® with no volume who has integrity and is willing to serve your best interests is better than a REALTOR® who can show volume, because they will be willing to take the time to work with you one on one instead of shuffling you off to an assistant.
Web Reference: http://www.jongriffith.com
Hi Kent, your profile says Real Estate Pro. May I ask what area of real estate you are in, and why you consider agents who prospect expireds bottomfeeders?
Brokers that wait for a property to be withdrawn or expire are bottom feeders. They do not have any clients. Brokers with clients, in my experience, do not waste time cold calling owners of properties that that have become stagnant. In addition showing your clients only your listings would lead to you never having any clients on the buyer side. If I'm looking for a home in an area with 32 listings and none of them are listed by my broker, is he going to tell me there are no homes for sale in the area? First of all that would be a lie, secondly lying to a client could get a broker in all kinds of trouble, or out of a career.
You should list with the agent who can do a good job for you. A home only sells when the right price, right preparation (how the home shows), and presentation (how the home is marketed) come together. It is a bigger competition now for sellers than it has been for many years. The number one item on a buyer's list today is a "deal." You have to be a good value in comparison to the other homes being offered in your price range.
Taking buyers to only their listings is their choice. You can determine it that's ethical. Does that mean their alleged buyers have to wait until they list a home that fits their needs??? Probably not. Interview a few and go with your intuition and the best presentation of what they offer to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2007
I will take another spin on the "agents only take buyers to their listings". I don't work with buyers generally, I work with sellers. I market their homes and get them sold. The buyers I work with call on my listings and I show them my listings and other similar houses, then refer them to another agent I work with who enjoys working with buyers.

If your home was priced too high, no agents brought buyers because buyers don't want to see overpriced homes. It is usually a waste of both our time. If I show someone 5 homes and 4 are priced correctly and the 5th is way overpriced, the first thing they ask me is "why is that one more money than the bigger/cleaner/better location home we just saw?".
David, H

Here are 10 Questions (Areas) to Ask Your Realtor about Selling a House

Are you a full-time professional real estate agent? How long have you worked full time in real estate? How long have you been representing buyers? What professional designations do you have?
Knowing whether or not your agent practices full time can help you determine potential scheduling conflicts and his or her commitment to your transaction. As with any profession, the number of years a person has been in the business does not necessarily reflect the level of service you can expect, but it is a good starting point for your discussion. The same issue can apply to professional designations.
Do you have a personal assistant, team or staff to handle different parts of the purchase? What are their names and how will each of them help me in my transaction? How do I communicate with them?
It is not uncommon for agents who sell a lot of houses to hire people to work with them. As their businesses grow, they must be able to deliver the same or higher quality service to more people.
You may want to know who on the team will take part in your transaction, and what role each person will play. You may even want to meet the other team members before you decide to work with the team. If you have a question about fees on your closing statement, who would handle that? Who will show up to your closing?

Do you have a Website that will list my home? Can I have your URL address? Who responds to emails and how quickly? What's your email address?
Many buyers prefer to search online for homes because it's available 24 hours a day and can be done at home. So you want to make sure your home is listed online, either on the agent's Website or on their company's site. By searching your agent's Website you will get a clear picture of how much information is available online.

How will you keep in contact with me during the selling process, and how often?
Some agents may email, fax or call you daily to tell you that visitors have toured your home, while others will keep in touch weekly. Asking this question can help you to reconcile your needs with your agent's systems.

What do you do that other agents don't that ensures I'm getting top dollar for my home? What is your average market time versus other agents' average market time?
Marketing skills are learned, and sometimes a real estate professional's unique method of research and delivery make the difference between whether or not a home sells quickly. For example, an agent might research the demographics of your neighborhood and present you a target market list for direct marketing purposes.

Will you give me names of recent (1 to 3 months) past clients?
Interviewing an agent can be similar to interviewing someone to work in your office. Contacting references can be a reliable way for you to understand how he or she works, and whether or not this style is compatible with your own.

Do you have a performance guarantee? If I am not satisfied with your performance, can I terminate our listing agreement?
In the heavily regulated world of real estate, it can be difficult for an agent to offer a performance guarantee. If your agent does not have a guarantee, it does not mean they are not committed to high standards. Typically, he or she will verbally outline what you can expect from their performance. Keller Williams® Realty understands the importance of win-win business relationships: the agent does not benefit if the client does not also benefit.

How will you get paid? How are your fees structured? May I have that in writing?
In many areas, the seller pays all agent commissions. Sometimes, agents will have other small fees, such as administrative or special service fees, that are charged to clients, regardless of whether they are buying or selling. Be aware of the big picture before you sign any agreements. Ask for an estimate of costs from any agent you contemplate employing.

How would you develop pricing strategies for our home?
Although location and condition affect the selling process, price is the primary factor in determining if a home sells quickly, or at all. Access to current property information is essential, and sometimes a pre-appraisal will help. Ask your agent how they created the market analysis, and whether your agent included For Sale by Owner homes, foreclosed homes and bank-owned sales in that list.
What will you do to sell my home? Who determines where and when my home is marketed/ promoted? Who pays for your advertising?
Ask your real estate agent to present to you a clear plan of how marketing and advertising dollars will be spent. If there are other forms of marketing available but not specified in the plan ask who pays for those. Request samples or case studies of the types of marketing strategies that your agent proposes (such as Internet Websites, print magazines, open houses, and local publications).

(c) 2007 KW Realty
David,

I am a listing agent and 75% of my business comes from listings 25% from buyers. I get homes sold. When you asked "How come you didn't bring any buyers to see my home" it is because a listing agent's job is not to "bring a buyer to your home" unless they have a buyer that your home fits their specific needs.

Think of it this way - I am ONE professional REALTOR out of 95,000 + licensed agents. ONE of my jobs as a listing agent is to market and advertise your home to the 95,000+ agents, some of whom have buyers that your home fits their criteria and get them through your front door. Doesn't it make sense for me to market to the 3,800 to 5,000 buyers who plan on purchasing a home this month, rather than trying to find the 1 person who specifically will buy your home?

Let's talk CONDITION - Because there are so many choices on the market today, your home has to be in MODEL HOME CONDITION (a.k.a. staging) in order to have the best chance of selling. A buyer must 'fall in love with a home" emotional before the buyer will "buy a home" logically.

Let's talk PRICE - The National Association of REALTORS research shows that if you home has had either a) No showings in 10 days or b) No offers in 10 showings then you need to lower your price.

Let's talk ETHICS - REALTORS who are "only showing their own listings" are not doing their due diligence when it comes to CUSTOMERS COME FIRST. When I work with a buyer, I interview them and show them ANY HOME from ANY BROKER or ANY NEW HOME BUILDER that fits their needs. REALTORS who are only showing their own listings - DO THE RIGHT THING!

RELISTING - Your Agent Matters. Ask a friend or co-worker whom them have had an EXCELLENT real estate experience with. In my next answer you will find - 10 Questions to ask your REALTOR...
Web Reference: http://www.DonaldKeys.com
HOW HIGH WAS YOUR PRICE??? These days, buyers pretty much expect to pay a lot less so even if the list price is above their spending limit, they'd go see it anyway, UNLESS the pictures on the MLS really showed that your house was WAY too high for the condition. Sounds like that's what happend.

As for agents showing houses only from their brokerage, majority of the agents don't do that. They only get paid if they do a transaction and why would they limit their pool of potential homes just by showing within their own brokerage? Unless a particular brand lists majority of the homes in an area (hardly the case) as well as the extensive use of the internet for buyers to find homes,, it's just not practical.

Regarding top producers in an area, they have so many houses listed, sometimes multiple houses on the same street! They don't really care which ones sells, do they? Many of those have a big team and assistants and they are really the ones working on your listing and answering calls and I've seen some really bad ones that work for great top producers. Of course, there are many top producers that are great, but even a top producer only has 24hrs a day.

Get an agent that can help you come up with the right price. Good luck!
Not typical behavior in the Verde Valley area. Of course all brokers will promote their listings to buyers they are working with, but not to the detriment of the buyer. We cooperate, that is what the MLS is all about.

But I have a hard time buying that all those agents can find a suitable home from their personal or company inventory, especially with current inventory levels in the PHX area. More likely, they did not have a buyer looking for what you have during the course of your listing, and there are not many ways to say that and still look good in the eyes of someone you are tring to solicit business from!

You shouldn't go with the agent who does the most volume in that area for THAT particular reason, but for the reason that they know your area and know how to sell homes there and you feel you can work well with that particular agent. Though, if you were priced too high to begin with, the agent you were working with never had a chance to sell your home in the first place.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
Hello David,

There are three reasons why a home does not sell. Price, condition and location. In our current market price is generally the culprit. If it is priced to sell, it will. As for agents contacting you after your listing has expired, real estate agents are bound to honor the contract you have with the listing broker and are prohibited to solicit your listing for this reason. When your listing expires any and all agents can solicit your business and that is why you received so many inquiries about listing your property.

I believe a more honest reason why agents you have spoke with did not show your property when you were previously listed is merely because they did not have an interested party to show it to. Either the buyers they represented found other properties that had more to offer or asking less or they just simply did not have buyers looking for that area at that time.

I have heard arguments from both sides of the fence. Listing with established agents vs. newer agents and listing with single agents vs. teams. All have advantages and in this respect they also create their own disadvantages. Established agents have the knowledge, but lack enthusiasm and focus on their reputation. Newer agents have the desire to prevail and have fewer clients which deliver for personalized attention to your listing (open houses for example) however lack the experience to market outside of the mythical “box”. Teams are great until you talk with all four people to get your questions answer because they need to reflect with each other to get a comprised opinion where single agents while answer your question just as soon as the get off the phone with every one else that has left a message. At the end of the day it all comes to one answer, list with the person you feel has been the most honest, seems to have your best interests at heart, instead of his, hers or theirs and with who you trust to guide you through one of the biggest decisions you will ever make. Hope this helped.