Abby Springer, Real Estate Pro in Denver, CO

Opinions: Is it better to replace carpet on a listing or offer a credit to allow the buyer to select the type and color preferred?

Asked by Abby Springer, Denver, CO Tue Jan 28, 2014

Answers

13
It depends on who you think is buyer for the home .. when I know alot a home will generate alot of investor interests (and likely an investor as a buyer), I'd offer a credit.
If it's a home that would sell to the non investor market, I'd replace the carpet on listing because 1st impression always count, just like a staged home most often always sells faster,
I think that it would be best to replace the carpet beforehand. It will make the curb appeal look so much nicer, and you'll be able to sell your home more quickly. Don't put really white carpet in a home that could potentially have kids in it. http://www.jlgfloors.com/carpet-cincinnati/
Flag Mon Dec 1, 2014
Replace with a neutral carpet as many first time homebuyers can not visualize, and as such can be a negative. Since the invention of HGTV, everyone thinks that homes should look perfect; I would suggest playing up this point and make the home as perfect as possible. Best of luck!
If the sellers have the financial ability to replace the carpet, do so. If that is not an option, be sure to have a couple of carpet reps come out to give an estimate. Have them leave a sample of the carpet and pad. Place the sample and cost in a place visible to potential buyers, because most buyers are going to magnify the cost of replacement to a much higher cost than reality. If the seller is able to replace the carpet, make sure you assist them with the choice. Go with a neutral color that would be acceptable to most people, and choose the top grade padding but medium grade carpet. This would give the illusion of an expensive carpet when you walk on it. In addition, being as though most people in that area prefer hardwoods, have someone give an estimate for hardwoods. By doing these things, you will be prepared for the buyers who estimate in their minds an outrageous price to replace, and a reason to justify a very low offer.
Flag Wed Feb 12, 2014
It really depends on the buyer. I know that I really would like to be able to customize something like that, and a credit to put towards a new carpet would definitely be intriguing to me. Other people want to be able to move in and not have to do any work. If you're not in a major hurry, it might be a good idea to try both. List it with the carpet as-is and offer the credit to start, if nobody is interested, replace the carpet and see if it helps.
http://www.creativecarpetinc.com/services/carpeting-services.html
Hi Abby, Don't think twice about replacing carpet that is dirty, stained or that has obvious traffic wear. Any improvement that makes your house show noticeably better, including new carpet or paint and/or deferred maintenance, may help you sell your house more quickly and for more money. Bad carpet makes the house look and feel tired plus new carpet is a relatively inexpensive item and should give you a dollar-for-dollar return on your investment. Buy a nice neutral color and avoid carpets with too much fleck, pile or with frieze (high twist). Along those lines. if the carpet needs to be stretched, that's another inexpensive "must-do". Also, be sure to clean your baseboards and touchup with stain/paint as needed. As for crediting the buyer, keep in mind many lenders do not want to see a credit to buyer for home repairs however they will often allow a "closing costs credit" but I feel it's better to keep the negotiation as clean as possible.

Colleen de Jong
Real Estate Broker
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
(970) 846-5569
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 16, 2014
Definitely better to replace it with a neutral carpet so it will show better to the Buyers. Leaving the carpet alone may cause a buyer to question what else hasn't been maintained. Your home should be showroom ready when it is on the market.
Having it be showroom ready is a really good idea. Replacing the carpet would make it more appeal to a lot of the potential buyers out there. A dingy carpet is easy to spot and might deter some people. Getting the right carpet in might be a bit of a trick too, but it will probably be worth it.
http://www.seattlestyleflooring.com/products.html
Flag Wed Nov 19, 2014
Well, here is the kicker, if all things are equal and you are going to spend about the same amount of money between giving the credit or replacing the carpet, I am tempted to say as a home seller I would replace the carpet with a neutral color because this will actually help sell the house and you might even get more money for the house. Giving the credit will require the buyer to use a bit of imagination and they may lose focus on the merits of the house and either they won't make an offer or if they do they may come in lower. My vote is the carpet replacement. What would be really nice is if you have hardwood floors and you sanded and shined them up. Hardwood floors are high in demand. Good luck.
As a buyer, I would be more interested in being given the credit. The one issue is that it would have to be pretty clear that they're getting that credit. I was looking at a house where the seller was offering that, but didn't have it expressed clearly. I decided against the place because of the inferior carpeting. So, it's a great idea as long as you make sure any potential buyer knows about it.
http://www.amcarpets.net/carpet.php
It depends on the buyer. I think that a lot of buyers would really like the credit on the carpet. Me personally, I don't care about carpet at all. As long as it is there, I don't care what color or what type it is. The phrase "different folks, different strokes" comes into play here. Have you talked to a real estate agent? http://www.mobilecarpetone.com/carpet
Underwriters are not allowing credits for anything other than closing costs. I would keep it simple and replace the carpet with a neutral color - I think you will probably make money on the investment by getting a higher sales price.
Unless you market the house as a fix-upper, I would recommend you replace the carpet before listing the home. Most buyers have zero imagination and they can't see through a worn carpet. Go with some neutral color! Your listing agent should be able to advise you on how to best prepare your home for the market. If you haven't picked an agent yet, I'd be more than happy to talk to you about how I will market your home to get you the highest possible price. HUI ZHANG | REALTOR® Licensed in VA | Samson Properties | Phone: 571-208-2828 | http://www.RealtorHui.com
I would offer a flooring credit. Buyers are very much into hardwood floors in the Northern VA area. The existing carpet should be cleaned and stretched if necessary for the home to show well. We are always available to talk about real estate. Please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ruth Neff, ASD, LDPD
Avery-Hess Realtors
Email: ruth@neff-team.com
Website: www. Neff-team.com
Licensed in VA
I too would opt for replacing it (though Stephanie brings up a good caveat - if it's likely to be an investor buyer you could go as-is) since no matter how much buyers insist that they can see past drawbacks and flaws most buyers are drawn to places in good shape. Even if they're getting money it still puts them off I think. Colleagues of mine have had good luck with those 1-800 / carpet the next day ones that you see on TV. Money well spent IMO - even if you find out in the end that they're going to do something different - like hardwood floors - right after they close. The new rug got them to the closing table.
I would recommend an allowance for flooring unless it's in very bad condition. I would also have the agent put it in the listing. Too many people have allergies and specific preferences that you could be spending the money for not. If you're using an agent they can help you with the final decision