Home Selling in Florida>Question Details

Gremmygirl, Home Seller in Debary, FL

No for sale, for rent, no signs of any kind, on common area, would this apply to Open House Sign for 2 hrs

Asked by Gremmygirl, Debary, FL Tue Aug 4, 2009

We have a condo. (listed on your site, FL) for sale we cannot put an Open House Sign out for 2 hrs on Open House Day, there is no for sale sign, just Open House at unit and driveway. We understand the rules and are big believers in them but, this seems to be out of line for just 2 hrs, then they are gone, especially in this economy sellers need all the help they can get. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your attention and response.

Answers

6
Look: Rules are rules. If the rules forbid the signs, then signs are forbidden. Out of line? Maybe. But those are the rules. Period.

I really like HHI's suggestion; that's very good "thinking outside the box."

And there are plenty of other strategies. Your Realtor can help you with them.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Many communities have this type of restriction. In the past I have given a map of the property with specific directions to the unit where the open house was being held. I gave those maps, along with a couple of "treats" to the guard at the gatehouse.

You might also want to petition your current board of directors for a temporary variance.
I have the ANSWER Gremmygirl: read small print if your economy is not all that great then go ask the person that told you zero signs and give them lunch somewhere are just get a gas gift card and give it to them and tell them that you'll need to put your open house sign out for 2 hours.And thank them for there help...And don't talk 3 days about it.just go do it and leave with your sign...ok money talks,,,,,,,,,less said...property owners seem to look pass if you share a little of that green stuff.Make it simple on yourself......think about this would you take $1000 dollars down from a guy that has cash on his self or if a guy came by and said he wants to put down $1000 next week,which one would you take...i always say this a bird in the hand is better than 3 birds in a bush.
When I was a Real Estate agent (ugh...I get the shivers just thinking about saying that)....and I was told I had to hold an open house in a community which did not permit any signs on the property or community, I would actually put the balloons or signs IN MY BACK CAR WINDOW when the car was parked in the driveway. As long as the newspaper/internet ad mentioned the address, then I would get "some" traffic. If you can put some directional signs just outside the community limits, that may help too.

You may also want to contact the Association to see if you could set some flyers up in the open house unit just for those few hours on Sunday. Or better yet, join forces with some other owners that are trying to sell their houses/condos in your community and jointly purchase a larger ad in the Sunday paper as a "parade of properties tour". People may decide to visit a place that had a larger selection of properties rather than one here....one there....type thing.

Craigslist can also be a good source to draw some possible lookers. Just post that you're having an open house from whenever to whenever.

Here's the deal...You have to think wayyyyyyyyy outside the box when confronted with specific rules. Rules were meant to be extremely bent....but not broken.

Hope this helped out a little.

Darin
Web Reference: http://www.hhiinvesting.com
G,

This is a question best referred to your Home Owner's Association. If there are others that feel as you do, our recommendation is to present your concern as a group.
Gremmy
Your Realtor should be able to handle that problem fairly easily.

Most buyers find homes online (such as Trulia), where you can also post open house information.
The Multiple Listing Service that covers your area also probably has an open house service for buyers.
On top of that, Craigslist is probably the best way to promote an open house. You can also put signs up on street corners around the property (local regulations may apply, your Realtor should know them.)
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA