Home Selling in Cleveland>Question Details

Nettmel, Home Buyer in Myrtle Beach, SC

Neighbor caused buyers to cancel contract.

Asked by Nettmel, Myrtle Beach, SC Thu May 9, 2013

The buyers did a final walk through on the day of closing and the nosy neighbor came out to talk to them. They had questioned the standing water underneath the porch and the neighbor said that it "had been a problem throughout the development and the city wouldn't do anything about it". In turn, the buyers had a contractor come that day. The contractor said that it "would be very costly to investigate why there was standing water and to not buy the house". I am of course going to pay to see what is causing this as it was not disclosed to my mother, now deceased, upon buying the house and having an inspection done three years ago. The buyers had a home inspection done and it was not mentioned. What recourse do I now have against the neighbor? Now that he has opened this can of worms, how can I make sure that he now has to disclose that his property has this problem as well as all the others in the development?

Answers

3
Write a letter immediately, address the owner/seller and the broker or agent with picture as much as possible and take a video, give the seller a chance to answer in writing and give them chance to address the issue, every minute is important make sure you put everything in writing. Give them specific time to remedy the issue and if that time lapsed and they never meet your expectations write a dispute letter and an intention to cancel your contract to sell due to that specific reason. Then demand a refund and damages within specific period of time. If at specific period of time that you gave to them had never met then its time for you to file a lawsuit, in your lawsuit show all your pictures and videos of the damages and show all your letters and their replies ( all the paper trail).
Contact a real estate attorney. The sooner the better.....
You need to get an attorney. All kinds of legal issues here.