Home Selling in Austin>Question Details

bw512, Home Seller in 78660

Need input as to why our house is not getting any showings

Asked by bw512, 78660 Wed May 23, 2012

Our house has been on the market for about 75 days and we have had 0 showings other than people stopping by for an open house. The house is only 4 years old and in excellent condition. The price per sq foot is within the range of comps in the area. It would be nice to at least have a a showing or two so we could get some feedback. We are using an agent to sell the house and it is listed.
http://www.trulia.com/property/3078262882-2808-Stonewall-Ben…

Any ideas as to what could be the issue?

Answers

20
Christopher Pagli - ABR, GREEN’s answer
Along with price marketing is extremely important. If people don't know about the home then it would explain no showings. Ask your agent what they are doing beyond the local MLS. Do searches on various influential real estate sites to see how your home comes up and looks. Another factor may be the lack of buyers in the area at the moment.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
BW512,
Since you are represented, albeit with a Houston Realtor, we are limited on what we can say.
Local knowledge counts. Show instructions are "appointment with agent" which is a horrible way to get showings. We typically don't show only one house so we set appointments in geographical order. If your agent doesn't confirm showing when I call I would skip the house. I don't have time to wait and have others to schedule. Does your agent answer the phone when someone calls? Have you tested?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 27, 2012
Price, location and condition are your most important factors is selling a home. You are represented by a broker so I can't give you much. However, you might want to view the homes in your neighborhood and see why they have sold and you haven't. If you are priced too high....then you are selling your neighbors home and not yours.
It is overpriced. What was the most recent sale in your neighborhood?
With 75 days on the market, your home has now likely become stale and you will have to be aggressive in both price and terms to get it sold. If you've had no showings in 75 days, your home was improperly priced from the start and now you will need to overcome that problem by getting very motivated and thinking outside the proverbial box. Sorry I can't go into it further, but since you're represented I really can't offer anything more than general information.
I'd have to research to know for sure, but the number one reason is price. Buyers are extremely educated these days and can compare your home to others on-line without ever actually seeing it. If your pricing isn't compeditive they will eliminate your home from their list of possible homes and won't take the time to go look.

If your not alredy listed with a Realtor, I'd be happy to research the market in your area and give you an opinion of where you should be priced. On a side note my company offers full service listings for only 4.5% as compared to higher fees charged by most and we pay our buyers to purchase with Buyer Cash Back Rebates up to $2000 so you can save when you sell and earn when you purchase.

If I can be of service, please give me call.

Rodney Harris
Realtor/Austin Team Leader
http://www.readyrealestate.com
512-585-5017
rharris@readyrealestate.com
Well the real issue is that you need to discuss this in detail with your Realtor, 75 days is not such a long time in today's market, where there are more homes on the market then there are ready and willing and approved buyers around. Therefore the buyers have toooo many choices and the pick the
best of the crop so to speak.

In your area subdivision and surrounds I can tell that there are many similar homes on the market...
May be what you need to do, and I do this with my seller clients all the time, look at a few of the
competing homes, not just the ones in YOUR same size, i.e. same no of bedrooms etc. look at
a few smaller and a few larger homes, just to see how they show and how they compare to yours

It is a very attractive home as the front view shows and you should be able to sell it and get some
interest...

Discuss also with your Realtor, if you could do something to make the home look more attractive on the photos, landscaping or other little changes, like paint one wall in an en vogue color, like
a dark red in the dining room (one wall !!!) or bright color in the kitchen.... Also moving around
some furniture, or even removing some could make a big difference on photos, that's where
the buyers will look first, and then decide which home to look at.......

Also the more interesting details your agent puts into the description of the home, the more
interest in seeing it it will get.... sit down with your agent and brain storm together, I am sure together you will come up with something.
Good luck to you...
Edith YourRealtor4Life! Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients - Buyers, Sellers and Investors Alike. I cover the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs and the fine homes on
the North Shore and cover for clients US States and acquisitions worldwide with partner agents.
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
@Properties North Shore
Have your agent change the showing instructions to have the agents call you directly instead of agents having to go through your listing agent who has to contact you to set up the appointments. This is very inconvenient and I have actually not been able to show my clients certain properties because I didn't hear back in time before taking my clients out to show properties. The easier the showing instructions and access, the better. JMHO:)

Warmest regards,
Dani

Danielle "Dani" Whitacre
Realtor®, GRI, SRS
Private Label Realty
(512) 689-7495 Cell
(512) 301-1306 Fax
dani@daniwhitacre.com

Search 1000's of Homes Instantly
Go To: http://www.DaniWhitacre.com

Someone you can trust!
Ran some comps and came up with a recommended price of $223,675. Looks like the price needs to come down. Sorry, wish we all had better news for you. Plus it does not help that there is still building going on in the area by a developer. Good Luck.
These folks have covered the important items: 1) Price and 2) Make it easy to show. Have your agent get it on the area property tour for brokers/agents. Feedback is provided and it tends to lean towards the blunt, honest variety.

You have been given some great advice concerning showing instructions and pricing. Having had clients in thes situation before i always make sure to tell any client that is looking to buy in a new neighborhood that to sell prior to the builder leaving will be extremely difficult because your major competition will be the builder. The builder has deeper pockets so they can and will offer some great incentives to new buyers and their agents. Many times for a seller to compete head to head with a builder they will have to take money to the table.
Depending on your situation, you might want to see if you can structure a few incentives of your own to get traffic-talk this over with your Agent. Finally, be patient, this may take a little longer than you had planned on.

Sonia Roberts, Realtor®
Canady Realty
512.709.1811
Sonia@CanadyRealty.com

"A satisfied customer is the best business strategy of all."
Michael LeBoeuf
Just from what I can see online, I'm sure the others are correct. It's price.

Plus, there's tons of competition all around you--very similar houses, some priced lower than yours. On top of that, it appears that the builders are still there, still building. And a home builder is going to have a lot of advantages over you when it comes to selling.

However, don't get your hopes up about feedback from showings. Sometimes you get feedback, but often you don't. And when you do, it's often along the lines of "A very nice house. Just not quite what we were looking for."

The online photos are OK, but not great. It does look, though, as though there's a lot of older, bulkier, clunkier furniture in some of the main rooms. That clashes with the style of the house and with the style of the furniture elsewhere in the house.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I just ran a quick CMA on your property and I agree with the other agents...price. Betina is right if you lower the selling price 10k you will get showings. I would also recommend discussing with your agent how you can make showing a little easier. Having to make an appointment with the agent to show can be a hassle, try and make it as easy as possible for agents and their buyer client to preview the home. It might be inconvenient but it could sell your house quicker. I think the combination of the two will bring you the results you're looking for.

Good Luck
Dathon
There is no objection that the right price won't overcome. If your not getting showings try dropping the price $5-10K and see if things start to perk up. If still no showings after 2-3 weeks, give the price another small drop and see what happens. I wish you luck!
I am very familiar with neighborhood and the Pflugerville market. I have sold many homes in Pflugerville and can see a few items that could be done to help increase showings. I would change the showing instructions. Buyers are looking at many homes and can find it difficult to make an apppointment with agent. Try changing it to call-go. Your home is very nice from the pictures and looks as though it shows well. I see you have had a recent price adjustment. There have been some new construction sales that are lower than your price per sq/ft. I would recommend another price adjustment so that you are competitive. I would ask your agent for an updated market analysis or look for an agent with experience in your Area. There are three parts to selling a home, Price, Condition and marketing. Evaluate all Three.

Your Agent Matters,

Heather
I looked at your listing and your house shows really well and is well represented in the online photos. Looking at the comparable properties in your subdivision it looks like you are probably priced too high especially when competing with new builds. Also, you are showing 3 bedrooms when your information shows you have a room that could be a 4th bedroom. I would change it to show 4 bedrooms and that the 4th bedroom could be a study, game room or bedroom. There is a new property that is a little larger than your house that is priced lower per sq ft. You need to make another price reduction with the comps in mind and do another open house. Homes are selling here but price is really important and so are number of bedrooms.

Wish you luck and know that you have already made a big effort getting your house in such good show condition.
Usually price is always the problem--even though you said the comps align, I noticed they are newer homes. Your photos and the verbiage to market your home, but I see you are in Falcon Point. I would say the competition of the newer homes could be the problem. Why buy a resale when you can be something just finished in 2012 or add custom upgrades to a home being built in the same area for the same (or less) price? I hope that helps, but best of luck to you!
Good Morning,

You appear to have a very nice home. It appears to have had some real care over the years.

Generally, price is a big factor in activity on a home. However, first, do some minor checks. First, have your agent check to make sure that the phone number provided to contact you for showings is correct. I can't tell you how many times I've attempted to call an owner to show their home and the number was incorrect. Then, when attempted to call the agent regarding the matter, the agent didn't answer their phone. After informing the Buyer, they said, nevermind, let's move on.

Going back to the price of the home, although there are other homes priced the same, what were the prices of homes sold in the past few months? If all active homes are priced above market, your home may not be the only home that isn't getting any showings.

Is your agent an aggressive marketer? Today, an entry into the MLS and a sign in the yard simply won't cut it.

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference: http://www.Syan.com
Good morning Bw512,

We would need more information, all we can do is speculate. What does your listing agent say? What is the average DOM there (Days On Market)? In my experience, a well priced listing will get the most action (traffic) the first 30 days. If you have not received any traffic the 77 days this has been on Trulia & on what I assume your local MLS, that is not good. What did the CMA (Compartive Market Analysis) say about your property, the list price for the subdivison and area you are in? If you dont know, you need to be talking with your agent as they are in charge of your house selling. If they dont know, time to get a new agent who may know the area better & etc. Some sellers will pick an agent that has sold in the subdivision before or maybe even lives there.

As a seller you have a choice, and as easy as it is to sit back from afar and say "price", that is probably the answer. Talk with your agent to get more information.

Best of luck.
Spirit
As much as you defend yourself; PRICE is 98% of the problem, 98% of the time.

Have your Agent do a new CMA.
If you are in a good urban area, you should be able to find a lot of good comps; use a lot, and narrow it down to LIKE houses.

That said,
How is the Curb Appeal?
How is the neighborhood?
How has the weather been?
Has anything been happening to distract the would-be buyers?
Have you eliminated the CLUTTER?
Have you removed the PERSONAL items like family pictures?
Does the house SMELL? Ask a stranger; you may not sense your familiar smells.

Consider the PRICE again; you should be UNDER the Comp's to attract multiple offers!

Good luck and may God bless