Home Selling in Portland>Question Details

Jack And Ell…, Both Buyer and Seller in Portland, OR

Need advice about selling our property in SE Salem, to retire in Portland. We have a small dog and 27ft RV so apartment will not work. Want 55 area

Asked by Jack And Ellie, Portland, OR Wed Sep 28, 2011

This is an older,smaller house on a big lot. Some houses in this area have been torn down on these lots and two new houses built on them. We pretty much owe what it is appraised at now and don't expect to make much profit. Don't know where to start to list as a business property instead of home. Made a couple trips to Portland but haven't found a good location yet. Want to be close to transit as those kinds of services are very limited in Salem.

Answers

7
Tom Ramsey’s answer
Hi Jack and Ellie

Having lived in Marion county and worked in Portland for years, I have had the opportunity to help several clients do just what you are proposing. There are many great 55+ places in the Portland Area. Call me with any specific questions.

Tom Ramsey
503-481-0501
You are going to need an agent that is willing to help you plan in both areas- and there are agents up there that handle both. You need to find out really what your home is worth (or property) so that you know what you will have to work with on the other end. I hope you find just what you need - I am sure it is out there for you.
Hi Jack and Ellie,

Any move needs to be planned out. From your comment your haven't listed your property for sale yet. Plus, you haven't indicated (and you probably should NOT on an open forum message board such as Trulia) how much your buying price range will be. With all things "purchase" the bottom line is . . . well . . . the bottom line. How much is in your purchase budget? (Again, this type of information should not be posted on a message board).

Finding a home to purchase is all about the buyers bottom line, the avialability of inventory in that price range and area.

Your comments don't address or answer the many questions I would have of a buyer who is contemplating a move. Do you need to sell in order to buy? What's your time frame? What's your budget? etc.

I do not work in Salem (but know a very good agent in the area). It would seem to me that you need to find two agents, one in Salem that will market your property for sale and another in the Metro Portland area that will assist you in indentifying properties that may work for you that are within your budget and price range.

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
Exclusive Buyers Agent
Assisting Buyers in Metro Portland since 1999
http://www.BuyersAgentPortland.com
In Portland area there are huge 55+ areas in King City and Tigard. Almost the entire city of King City is 55+.
Hi Jack and Ellie,

Your property in SE Salem appears to have a variety of possible uses to potential buyers. For this reason, I would highly recommend you obtain the services of a Real Estate Broker who knows your area and can help determine what we call the highest and best use of your property. This is what will bring the highest value to your property and bring the most money out of a sale. With all of the zoning regulations, etc. I would not recommend you take this on yourself. I would be happy to refer you to a great agent in your area.

As for your search in Portland, I would love the opportunity to work with you. I am knowledgeable about the 55+ communities and I can help you figure out the areas of Portland that might best fit your lifestyle. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.

Mandy Lewis
Real Estate Broker, Windermere
(503) 522-5803 direct
Good Morning Jack and Ellie,

If you like, I can refer you to a good Broker who handles the Salem area. I would be happy to help you with your search in the Portland metro area as well. Let me know if I can be of service to you.

Donn Rasch
RE/MAX equity group
9200 SE Sunnybrook Blvd., Ste 100
Clackamas, OR 97015
http://www.equitygroup.com/drasch
Web Reference: http://www.donnrasch.com
I am sure you will have plenty of offers from Realtors in the Salem area reply regarding the sale of your home down there. If you are interested I work with a few good Realtors up here who could aid in your search, I would be happy to refer you.

Also, see this older Trulia thread for some ideas on area for 55 plus... click below: