Home Selling in Alamo>Question Details

Jeff Fazio, Home Seller in Alamo, CA

Need advice about listing a guest house on MLS form.

Asked by Jeff Fazio, Alamo, CA Sun Jun 5, 2011

We're selling my home and there's a problem with listing the guest house. The home is just over 5500 square feet, with 5 BRs and 5.5 baths and three fireplaces. The guest house has an additional bath, fireplace, and kitchenette, but the form doesn't lend itself to listing it separately. Any advice about how to do it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

6
Barry Clyde’s answer
Jeffrey

I would simply list the square footage for the main house and the guest house separately in the standard remarks. Don't put it is the confidential remarks section because only agents will see that. You want all the buyers who are searching the various websites to see that you have the guest house as well. If you need any further advice, please contact me at clyde.enterprises@comcast.net. No obligation!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 5, 2011
While selling your home and making sure it's listed and described correctly, make sure your insurance policy has enough Coverage B-Other Structures coverage. Considering the replacement value of the guest house, some policies that come standard are normally not high enough to cover a fully functional guest house, especially if there's a fireplace in it.
Look into the parameters regarding "Accessory Dwelling Units" (ADU's) in your neighborhood.
There are greater need for mutilgerenation home in todays market. Especially an in-law unit is design for all the new home market today. With my listing in Alamo, I have market it with YouTube video for direct marketing affect. that way I can send to my International market buyers. In order to broaden your buyer's market. also remember to market it to the investor. As Baby Boomer retired, the social influence of living together is a trend in the market. Make sure your marketing piece is to direct sales. MLS is only one source of marketing. Alway do more, to achieve the best result at the shortest time possible.
Web Reference: http://www.YulandaOng.com
Barry's advice is good. Do make sure you put it in the standard remarks and not the confidential remarks. Also, be sure you photograph the guest house (the exterior- not just the interior)! Looking forward to seeing this when you put it on MLS!
Hi Jeff, I'm Robin Miles from Empire Realty in Danville..I do tons of business in Alamo (for 30 yrs). What form are you speaking of? I'd be happy to walk you through whatever you need. robin@robinmiles.net or 998-3098 R