sian_morgan4, Home Buyer in Idyllwild, CA

My sister and I bought my dads house when he died, my daugher has lived there since and pays the mortgage, they have made us agree to a sale now.

Asked by sian_morgan4, Idyllwild, CA Mon Sep 17, 2012

We do not have the finance to pay the bills and have informed of this from the beginning. Can they make us pay the utilities while they try to sell the property.

Answers

11
Hello Sian,

If I understand correctly "they" are the children, and for the sale of your father's home, my suggestion would beto sell it as quickly as possible if you are sure about seeling the home, in order not miss the hot market activity.
Market usually slows down in the winter, you can get the best price from now unitl November.
Feel free to contact me for free consultation, I will be able to help you with any real estate questions that you might have.

Robert Gevorkian, CNE, Broker
Keller Williams
Email: RSL500@yahoo.com
tel: (310) 994-9090
I agree with the posts below. Unless we know who you refer to as "They" in your question, it is just so hard to figure out what you are asking.
If you own the house, you should be the one selling the house! Who are you talking abou that is trying to sell your house?? You need good advice. Call a local realtor if you are the owner and have them help you see whether you need to sell the house.
I'm with Harold - Who is "THEY" referring to?

This would help in accurately giving you the best answer.
Can you rent it to a responsible party in order not to have to sell?
Kick your daughter out, make her pay her own bills.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
The question is a bit difficult to understand without know who THEY are.

Is They the bank?
Is they Your Sister?
Is they your daughter?

Did your daughter not pay the bank?

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomes.biz
http://www.socalhomes.biz
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
I recommend for you to speak with a real estate attorney. They can listen to the details of your situation and make a correct determination of your case.
Sian,

Sounds like a tough situation for you and your family. When you say "they" are you refering to a bank? And do you mean to short sale the property? The utilities will still need to be paid, and probably by you and your family.
This is really a question for a real estate attorney. They can examine the details of the trust or will and make a correct determination.
Good Morning Sian,

I'm so sorry for your lose. My sister and I were in the same boat as you are. I'm a little confused though as to the "they" are that is making you sale the house now. As far as Utilities go whoever's name is on the accounts is who is responsible for paying. The bills will be attached to the individual not the house. Has the house been listed yet? If not I have some ideas that might be able to help you with the Utility bills. Feel free to give me a call and we can talk about the possibilities.

Take Care,
Grace
Grace Rosenberger
lyonrose1@hotmail.com
DRE #01295350
Sorry for not being clear they are my sister and her husband. The house has not been listed yet. We did not want to sell as we looked into the current market in the area and it is not good. And we simply can't afford it. We have informed them of our financial situation from the beginning, but will endeavour to pay our half of the mortgage.
Flag Mon Sep 17, 2012