dacusk, Home Seller in Montgomery, AL

My siblings and I were left 2 homes in a will that we need to sell. Can you give us some advice to sell them fast.?

Asked by dacusk, Montgomery, AL Mon Dec 3, 2012

Answers

10
I would suggest interviewing a couple of local Realtors from different companies to gauge their opinions of value on the property and to discuss their specific marketing strategies.

A good rule of thumb when it comes to selling Real Estate is that an over-priced houses take much longer to sell than one priced at the current market value...

Keep that in mind when you do your interviews.

You can go about this in a few different ways. For Sale by Owner - If you are familiar with the area and what homes are selling for, then you can judge a "quick sale" price so that you can find a buyer quickly. Trying a For Sale by Owner route will depend on if you are flexible and available for showings and also where the location of the properties are. Is there a good deal of drive by traffic, are you in a position where you can advertise the properties? If you are not as familiar with the area, but still want to try For Sale by Owner, then investing in an appraisal is a smart way to go so that you know the true marketability based on the home and what the area is selling for at this time in the condition that it is in. If you are looking for a Realtor to handle the transactions for you, then a Market Analysis can be given to you by the Realtor and a suggested list price based on market knowledge can be established. You can decide when meeting with the Realtor you choose if repairs are needed to allow the home to be financed in different ways, or to add to curb appeal or marketability. I hope this information is helpful.
An estate will have to be opened up if the person who left them to you in the will recently died. If they lived in another state an ancillary estate may be necessary here in Montgomery County. I can get an attorney to check for you.
Look for a REALTOR that has a strong internet and market presence. Get them to the house and have them work on a market analysis that shows selling in 6 months or right now. Have them list every objection that may come up and start knocking those out by rectifying the issues. With the right REALTOR on your side...this will seem so easy!
I wanted to add some comments after seeing some of the other answers to the original question. While I agree that curb appeal and clean bathrooms are going to motivate offers, I have to add that I have seen buyers back out or the closing delayed after a home inspection. The homes in question provided great showings, looked nice. However, there were issues not discovered until inspection.
Structural, Plumbing, Roofing, Electrical, Active Termite issues can kill an offer, delay the closing and cost the seller money they were not expecting to spend.

An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure. Don’t spend money on updates until you know what else may be wrong.
I agree with Gary and will add the following; Get a "pre-listing" home inspection from a Licensed Home Inspector. The inspection should be objective (especially if the inspector is an ASHI.org member). The inspection report will help point out the items that need to be fixed prior to listing the homes. Don't get in too much hurry or you can lose 1000's of dollars.

Prepare to sell a "good" home or prepare to disclose defects and price accordingly for a faster sales. Buyers like knowing the seller took steps to ensure they are selling a good home. Especially if the home is priced at the high end of the market comparison.

I provide inspections prior to listing on the market, I provide consultation to help prioritize what should be repaired prior to listing. I do not perform any remodeling and therefore completely objective.

There is not much worse than being excited that you have an offer only to find out the buyers want to back out because of items discovered during the home inspection.
Patrick Erb - Erb Home Inspection Service - AL # HI3083 205-412-5256. Please feel free to contact me for free advice.
First have a realtor look at the house and recommend improvements which will increase the value and help sell the property. Curb appeal is essential. Sparkling bathrooms and kitchens are a must. Then get a professionals opinion of the values and follow their advice on pricing.Make it easy to view the properties. Make sure your realtor uses all available venues for marketing, Most buyers start their search on the internet. Good luck.
Jeff Samuel (334) 354-3165
My name is Michelle Williams and I am a realtor at Keller Williams Realty here in Montgomery. I would love to meet with you and discuss what needs to be done to get these homes sold. Are you available to meet with me this week or possible discuss over the phone how to get your home sold. 334-498-1194 call or txt
I would suggest having at least 3 different realtors view the properties, do market analysis's and offer suggestions on what changes you should do to the properties to sell them as quickly as possible. Fresh paint, a clean interior and curb appeal all help when trying to sell a property.
You need an experienced realtor to run a market analysis & to look at the property to determine a fair market price. You may want to have a licensed appraiser do an appraisal which will cost $350 - $500 per home. An old adage in real estate is "Price cures all". A low asking price will invariably attract attention & garner offers.