Home Selling in Tucson>Question Details

Novelist1979, Home Seller in Tucson, AZ

My realtor wants me to sell my home to a fellow agent in the same realty. What should I do?

Asked by Novelist1979, Tucson, AZ Wed May 16, 2012

I know longer trust that my agent really represents me.

Answers

18
Just because the possible buyer is a Realtor in the same Realty, doesn't necessarily cause alarm. Get the home professionaly appraiser and you will know the range the home should be selling for. Also if the home is listed, are there other offers? Just because they are under the same Broker, it doesn't mean they know each other or are plotting against you. Get that second opinion and then you will know the best way to proceed. I work for a Broker that has 400 agents under her and I haven't even met half of them yet. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 17, 2012
I would be very happy that you should have an informed, qualified buyer! Selling to a fellow agent does not eliminate any of the contractrual obligations that you would have with any other buyer. This in no way means that your agent will not represent you fairly.

Did your home receive time on the public MLS? If not, and the agent knew about it in-house first, there is still nothing unethical. You can always make the decision about whether to accept any offer, at any time.
Since the Real Estate Office has the Listing for the property, normally the way it works is that the Office and all agents in that office would represent you, the Seller. In this case, however, the office "may" work as a Dual Agency. In the case of a Dual Agency, Agents must work with exceptional care to insure that they do no harm to either party in the transaction.
As long as the price and terms are acceptable to you, move forward. if not keep it on the market to see what comes in or counter the offer to where it is acceptable to you.
If the price is what you want do it!! The proper dual agency disclosure should be submitted with the contract and you should have no problems as long as you listed with an agent of high ETHICS! Simple answer!!! Good luck with your new home search!!!
There is no reason to believe that your " listing agent" will not work in your best interests. If the agent who wants to buy the home signs an agreement of sale outlining the price and terms he is offering; and, you agree to his offer price and terms, there should be no problem. Next, as a Seller, if you are still worried about this relationship, hire an Attorney to represent your interests in the sale. It has been my experience that most attorneys are very reasonable in cost when representing sellers. It is my practice to recommend an Attorney.
Hi Novelist1979,

You said, "Well, I was also unnerved when while consulting with my realtor a call came in from a broker wanting to make an offer on my home, and he said he wasn't taking any more offers. Why? Maybe a better offer will come in?"

This is indeed alarming. We now see why you don't trust your agent. Call his office, and ask to speak to his broker (the manager of his real estate company) about your concerns. Tell your agent's broker what your agent told you when you asked him why he told another agent he wasn't taking any more offers.

Donna Moulton
Tierra Antigua Realty
ww.SweetDesertHome.com
do you want to sell her house first of all... Second you can sell it to them as long as it is disclosed. why don't you call me and we can discuss this further. 520-867-0166 I will be more then happy to answer all your questions and if you like I can see if I can represent you.
Novelist,
Is your home on the market? If not, do not sell to anyone without letting the entire market see it first. The only thing wrong with selling to a specific person is if they are keeping you in the dark and selling below its true value.
By putting the home on the market at a reasonable price you'll quickly find out if the other agent's offer is fair or if you have a bidding war on your hands.
Your agent's REALTOR friend can easily find homes for himself through the MLS if he is actively looking for a home for himself. After all keep in mind your transaction is not about your agent or his REALTOR friend it is about you to be sure your get the proper advice and guidance while listing and selling your home. How ethically the business is handled by your agent should be one of the top priorities.
Well, I was also unnerved when while consulting with my realtor a call came in from a broker wanting to make an offer on my home, and he said he wasn't taking any more offers. Why? Maybe a better offer will come in?
What bothers me about your question is that you say that your agent wants to pick who you sell the home to. Maybe this is just unfortunate wording on your part, but it is not up to your agent to determine who you should sell your home to. If this is the best deal for you, then there is no reason that you shouldn't seriously consider it.

The relationship between you and your agent has to be based on trust. If you no longer trust your agent, then you should have a serious discussion with him or her. If you are still not satisfied, then it is time to find a new agent. As Spirit has pointed out, there are plenty of agents to choose from.

David
If your agent has found a buyer for your home, he is doing his/her job. The only thing that matters in who is buying your home is that they are ready, willing, and able to purchase at the price you are willing to accept. As long as dual agency is explained and acknowledged by both you and the buyer, the laws of real estate are being followed. Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Eddie Holmes, Associate Broker
Keller Williams Southern Arizona
520-661-5340
edholmes@live.com
BS Answer. But your firm does garbage like that all the time
Flag Fri May 18, 2012
Why don't you trust your agent? Because a fellow REALTOR she knows at her office is interested in your home? You did hire the agent to find you a buyer, no?
I agree with Donna Moulton. As long as you have the home priced properly, and you get the sale you would like... there is nothing wrong with selling your home to a Realtor in the same company. We, the agents, often share our listings with friends and co-workers. And, we buy homes, too! As long as you feel you are being fairly represented.. no reason not to accept an offer.

Donna Reed
Keller Williams Southern Arizona
donna@reedtucson.com
Did they explain to you dual agency? Did you accept listings from same agency on listing?

I assume you have your property listed on MLS? Personally I would accept highest offer when I sell a property regardless of which brokerage.

However, if you no longer trust your agent anymore you need to terminate the relationship. Cancel the listing & find a new agent. There will be several agents on this message board to pick from & would be happy to discuss your options with you. Trust is very important in agency with your Realtor.

Spirit
Hi Novelist1979,

I don't understand why this is a problem. Did your agent show you comparable sale data? Did you interview more than one agent to get more than one opinion of the value of your house? Do you think you have the house priced at market value? Is the buyer offering close to market value?

Why do you think your agent doesn't represent you? If you sell quickly at market value, then your agent is doing his job. I don't see why it makes any difference who buys it as long as you sell to a qualified buyer at market value and don't have to make any unnecessary repairs.

Donna Moulton
Tierra Antigua Realty
http://www.SweetDesertHome.com
Maybe consult a realestate attorney?
Lenders should not be making recommendations regarding Agency in Arizona.
Flag Thu May 17, 2012