Home Selling in Philadelphia>Question Details

Melissa, Home Seller in Philadelphia, PA

My realtor wants me to cover my own open house. I am not a realtor. Should we still have the OH??

Asked by Melissa, Philadelphia, PA Wed May 16, 2012

Answers

36
Melissa, It has been a week now....I am sure we are all wondering what you desided to do....Did you do the open house, or did your agent?
Thank you all for your reponses. The open house did happen with a total of 14 couples attending. I did cover the open house and since none of the people had agents, I did a lot talking ( for better or for worse). I have not heard from my agent about follow-ups. Including the open house, 54 appointments have been to my house and no offers. I've already spoken to a new agent and, based on your advice, will fire my current agent.
Flag Wed May 23, 2012
Hi Melissa,

We're all waiting to hear what happened. Please let us know the outcome. Did you have the Open House?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
i did, see my response above
Flag Thu May 24, 2012
If your agent wants you to do open houses - get a new agent. You can reach me at 215-327-8104
Kathy Hanigan
Broker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
Why? The last person we ever want to host an open house is the seller. Tell him to cover it or have an associate from his office cover it. If he can't do that then you need to ask yourself why you hired him.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
I'd cancel it if you're not comfortable with it. That's the agent's job not yours.

For more info visit http://www.CenterCityTeam.com/

Frank L. DeFazio, Esquire
Prudential Fox & Roach Realtors – Society Hill
530 Walnut Street, Suite 260
Philadelphia, PA 19106
215.521.1623 Direct
610.636.4364 Cellular
888.308.1148 Fax
Frank@CenterCityTeam.com
This actually happened to my client. I was her buyers agent at the time. Her sellers agent (I met her after the listing she since fired that agent hired me and we sold the house because of an open house)

Her agent couldn't make the open house my client begged to have. I said "Well nobody knows your house better then you"!

Hope it went well for you and if you got a ton of traffic!
How do you feel about doing you own open?

If your comfortable with it ... OK BUT... if your not?

1) Simply tell the Agent to attend and distribute the Pa consumer Notice
2) have the sign in sheet
3) Provide estimated closing cost projections
4) have a sellers disclosure on hand if prospect Buyer request one
5) have recent home sale comparables if needed
6) inform the prospest of what schools are in the area + addl neighborhood info

Its that simple... anyone can do that....... Cant they?

OH..... and if the Eagles are Playing......PUT on the TV so the Hubby will stay a little longer :-)

All the Best John Curci RE/MAX
she asked this back in May!
Flag Wed Oct 10, 2012
Melissa,

Thanks for providing an update on your situation.

I'm sorry to hear your original Realtor did not attend the Open House. I do hope you have better luck with your new Realtor. Don't forget to share the information for the 14 people that attended the Open House with your new Realtor and make sure he or she follows up with all of them. A buyer or two just might be in the bunch.

Best of luck!

Chad Gray PA | Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
754-300-6040

100% of clients rated our service as "EXCELLENT"!
http://luxurylivingfortlauderdale.com/what-clients-are-saying/
Is this a fireable offense. Our realtor has been horrible and wants us to do our own open house as well
I have been telling sellers to do this for years, collect names and turn over to their realtor, good idea. Even have a page on my site that covers this topic. See the link below.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
Reator® that tells his Seller to do the Open House themselves??
Is this a "Help you Sell" or a limited Brokerage Broker/Agent? If not, a full service agent rarely would ask their seller to do an open house.

I would discourage it at all cost. If a licensed professional can not do it, I would reschedule.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
It seems to me you need more professional realtor. I can not beleive a realtor say such an advice to the client. Open House is very important, and I believe it also sells the property. Try as much as you can have the Open House, Yourr listing agent can ask other agent prepare the Open House but it has to be done in a very professional manner.
Wow. It may be time to find a new "professional", as it sounds like you are not with one now. FYI, and most in the industry will tell you this, Open Houses are more for the agent thant the property for sale (seller). Majority of the time, another agent will bring the buyer, not from an open house. Not all the time, I have sold some thru open houses I have conducted but still, something for you to think about.

I would talk with other agents, maybe find one that can make the time for you and selling your house. I shudder what else they are not doing for you.

Best of luck.

Spirit
That is extremely unprofessional and I think you should look for a new realtor ASAP!
sorry, I replied in error to your post!
Flag Wed Oct 10, 2012
this was asked back in MAY
Flag Wed Oct 10, 2012
Covering your own Open House could lead to a disaster......
You have hired a professional for a reason and that persons expertise
should be able to effectively screen buyers at an Open House and answer any questions
pertaining to the Home and area.
No, you should not have to cover your own open house.

Either your agent or someone from their office should be able to assist you with it. If they are not able to then you need to have a talk with them to find out what their services include.
No. But thanks for my first good laugh today. Great answers here already.

A good agent won't have her/his clients at the showings and definitely not at the open house. You hire an agent to speak for you to angle things in the best possible light for you from describing the home to showing the home to negotiation the offer, arguing the appraisal, etc. Your agent flat out isn't going his or her job (no matter what the reason).
Hi Melissa,

Lots of good answers here. Bottom line is you shouldn't be present at your open house due to confidentiality and disclosure reasons. You open yourself up to too many questions without representation.

You don't want to say anything that may per se "show your cards" and give the Buyer any advantage or leverage in negotiations. Ex: Your motivation to move: you are already in contract to purchase and make settlement on another home by a certain date; you must relocate for a job by a certain date; you only have a mortgage of $...., etc..... anything else that may not be appropriate.

Talk with your agent about your concerns. If you do not feel comfortable that your Realtor is working in your best interests, then by all means fire him/her. Then find a good Realtor, who will represent you as your Listing Agent and do whatever is in your best interest with regards to the marketing and sale of your home. And he/she should be willing commit do whatever it takes to meet your goals for settlement.

Good luck with everything.

Larry Lichtman, CNE
REALTOR
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell/Text: (267) 254-7994
Melisa, Thats a Loaded Question...... Its up to you and your Agent.

All the Best, J C
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
Be careful you need represtation both at the open house and also when you change Listing Agents and you will because if your agent is not going to be present at the open house then what else are they not doing. Please remember that you have a contract. If you decide to change Agents before signing with another agent MEET and TALK with the new agents Broker of Record and get everything in writting. Just remmber that is what your paying for. If you want to meet with me or speak with me please call me at 215-725-5700

Philip J. Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Coporation
7952 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia,PA 19152
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
Really not a good idea no matter the reason. Opens up all kinds of issues/problems. You may want to consider changing agents mostly because your realtor did not give you a reason for not being the one on site.
Melissa,

You have either a Lazy Agent ( does not want to do his Job) or a Busy Agent ( needs assistance).

Either way WATCH out what you say to

1) other Buyer Agents showing your home and

2) unrepresented Buyers..... dont let your "Home Emotions " get in the way.

True....... you know your " living in home " better than anyone else But,...... you should have a 3rd party negotiator to eliminate your expected Home emotions that you have become so attached to.

Do Disclose and Dont Discriminate....

All the Best, John Curci RE/MAX Properties 215-757-2889
You have not stated the reason for this situation. The general rule is the broker covers the open house, but changing things up to sell your house is okay. The question is whether you feel like you can let people quietly enjoy a walk thru of your home hoping to find a buyer. If so, you might find a buyer for your home. If not, make other arrangements or skip the open house.
All the comments on here are good ones. This has stirred the pot and rightfully so.

Realtors all know other realtors. Your realtor should be asking a fellow agent within the company you have the contract to sit the Open House, not their client. Ask the realtor to see who is available within his office. New agent or agents who are slow will sit an Open with the hope to draw in business. Best of luck.

Should you need additional input or advice email me at scott.maritzer@prufoxroach.com
Hi Melissa, I agree with my colleagues below. I have never heard of such a thing. If he/she wants you to do it, tell him you will require he change your listing agreement IN WRITING to an
Web Reference: http://kurfiss.com
Melissa:

Forget the Open House. Get a new agent. Get a new agent tomorrow morning.

Why would you hire someone to do a job and pay someone to do a job that you are doing?

Unacceptable. Unprofessional. Unbelievable.

Ana Barlow
Barlow and Birdsall Group
Keller Williams Realty Center City
anabarlow@gmail.com
That's part of the agent's job. If they can't cover it then they should find someone else or pick a different week. I agree, it's very unprofessional of him/her to ask you to do that...aren't you paying them to represent you?

Hope that helps!
Lindsay Good
Century 21 Alliance - Manayunk
This was your agent's suggestion?

Bad suggestion....not professional at all, unless there is some kind of emergency..in which case, it's still a bad idea!!

So.....just say no. Your agent is being paid to market your house...not you!
You might want to have a discussion with your agent about this idea of hers.
If your agent or someone else from their office can't hold it open then you probably need to cancel the open house. There are a few reasons why you shouldn't hold it open yourself. As the owner you will probably not get honest feedback about the home from buyers. You may get offended if you receive negative feedback. And most of all that's what your paying the agent a commission for.
Hello, Melissa,

Is your real estate professional a REALTOR or just a real estate sales agent. Realtors have a code of ethics and typically are very responsible about doing their job.

In my opinion, when you hire a professional to sell your home, you should NOT be doing the professional's job. You can't speak to prospects in the same way that a real estate professional can. It will be awkward at best. Just like being a For Sale By Owner.

Good Luck. Hope all works out for you.

Carol Cei, ePRO, Realtor
ReMax Platinum Club
Five Star Professional
ReMax Action Realty'
215-643-9661
carolcei@remax.net
Web Reference: http://www.carolcei.com
I agree. You shouldn't do your own open house. You don't want to do negociations with a perspective buyer for your home, and chances are, they may feel uncomfortable with the owner being there and not the realtor. Ask your Realtor, to have another agent cover for him or her in their office. Good Luck selling your home. I wish you the best!
Your agent should either find another agent to do the open house or cancel the open house. I've been to one open house where the agent had an emergency and that left the homeowner to show the house. He gave me the least relevant information about the house and was clearly uncomfortable being the 'agent'.
haha..if a buyer from the open house buys it do you get a co-op commission?
What????????? I hope your agent has a life or death emergency otherwise I cannot see any good reason for this request. In fact, it is a very bad idea for the home owner to be there during showings. This is what you pay your agent to do.