Home Selling in Chicago>Question Details

Ken W, Home Owner in Santa Clarita, CA

My realtor refuses to hold any more open houses unless I lower my price. He also refuses to remove my phone # from the MLS. I am a senior citizen.

Asked by Ken W, Santa Clarita, CA Tue Jul 9, 2013

My property is priced correctly according to comps and is in xlnt condition. He has keys to my house and refuses to talk.

Answers

19
1) get a new agent, talk to the managing broker for his office. They may assign someone else to save the relationship.
2) they never have the option not to talk to you
3) if open houses have been poorly attended it could be the area, the house or the broker
4) people always think their kids/houses are the best ever. Get an impartial opinion by interviewing several agents
5) eliminate clutter and overly personally items, like a lot of family photos on the walls.
6) open houses are not a great tool to sell a house. They are a great tool for real estate agents to generate new clients, your house is the lure. If your agent will not do open houses they may not be aggressive and proactive enough which leads to #1, get a new agent.
Your Realtor was desperate to get your listing and told you what you wanted to hear regarding price. Now your Realtor is tired of how unrealistic your price expectations are and to embarrassed and weak to stand up to you and properly educate you on what your home will actually sell for. Fire them and find a Realtor that's not afraid to tell you that you are out of your mind.
Web Reference: http://kribzoo.com
You need to contact the Office manager from your agents office and complain. Refuse to allow showings!! Ask to have the listing agreement terminated. If they do not do it just refuse to allow any showings until the listing expires.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 9, 2013
goto his office and ask to speak to the broker..
Hello Ken,

No doubt about it call the managing broker and ask them to cancel your listing or ask for another agent/broker to represent you.

Lots of good answers, but one that I did not se asking, are you listed with a discount broker? I know that is one reason your number would be in the Mls. Did you agree for your number to be in the Mls?

Not sue what the agents story is, but there are usually three sides to every story like this, your side, his side and the truth somewhere in the middle.

Since I do not know how long it has been listed, how hot your local market is or how much activity your house has generated, it would be hard for me to comment on the price, even though I have my opinions on this issue but it is unfair for me to jump to those conclusions.

Definitely talk to the broker. Forget using yelp, it is a useless site. Plenty of complaints about that site all over the Internet.
Hi Ken,
I have read many of the comments left by other professionals. I have to agree with everyone I would call the Managing Broker and under the circumstances the Broker should release your listing and allow you to seek new representation. I find it hard to believe that the relationship can be saved.
I wish I could say that I don't believe your story however in 18 years I have seen and heard almost everything.
Call 2-3 Brokers, check Yelp, Trulia, Zillow reviews first to see the type of comments people are leaving. Choose the Broker who you feel deserves your business and then let him earn it.
I wish I worked in your market I would love to follow in that Brokers muddy footsteps, Good luck
Definitely contact the managing broker for your agent. Explain to him/her the situation and see what they can do to resolve the issues.
Best of luck.
Call the managing broker and explain the situation. They should be able to cancel the listing.
Web Reference: http://AmericorpRe.com
If you are having problems selling your home with a Realtor, we may be able to help. We are CASH buyers in your area and are looking to buy 3 more homes this month. We can and will pay you CASH, and close at a time that is convenient for you. We will also cover the entire costs to close. No repairs needed as we buy "As-Is". If you are interested in receiving an all cash offer on your home please visit us online at http://remcapitalpartners.com/cash-offer
When I hear a story that is quite one-sided; I can't help thinking that there must be another side to this:
You have the option of finding another Realtor who understands your wants and needs,
and your Realtor has the option of finding another Client.
As mentioned previously, contact the Managing Broker and discuss your concerns. If you are not satisfied with your representation then consider cancelling the listing agreement. Look at the details though to see if there are any penalties to you.
Put in writing that you are cancelling his contract! Find another realist realtor to list/sell your property!
I never hear of something like this before...and why this comtract is not terminate .
Can we have details of the whole picture ?
Make sure when this is over you provide an appropriate review of this agent on Yelp, Trulia, and Angie's List. The world needs to know about this guy.
Web Reference: http://LucidRealty.com
Ken,

Yikes! Speak to his/her managing broker. Why on earth would someone publish your phone number without your permission. Simply put your broker sounds like one of those lazy brokers that wants the commission and doesn't want to do the work. It was your brokers responsibility to properly price you property and dollar amount that makes sense. Personally if I have a client that I feel is asking to much for a property after I have given my recommendation it is highly like I will not take the listing. It makes no sense to take a listing that is priced incorrectly.

Best of luck
This question was posted in Realtor.com
Q: My realtor had mentioned to me when first signing the listing agreement that his office required a certain termination form to cancel a listing agreement early. I can’t remember the name of it. What is the name of this form and how do I get a hold of this? I can’t imagine the realtor or his broker would cooperate in providing me this form.
–Anonymous, Delavan, WI

A: You should ask the Realtor for the form. In all likelihood, you do not have a unilateral right to terminate. Your Realtor or his broker will probably need to sign the termination agreement in order for it to be valid. If you are having a problem with your Realtor, you should speak with him and/or the managing broker about it. Real estate businesses are built on happy clients/customers. If the Realtor has done something wrong, give them a chance to make it right. If they refuse and/or will not cooperate, you can speak with an attorney about terminating the listing contract, form or no form.
Phil Lunnon is a Realtor® with Lunnon Realty in Lakewood, CO.
Hi Ken,

If you feel your Realtor isn't representing you correctly and in the way you want to be represented call his managing broker and ask to have your listing agreement canceled. There are thousands of Realtors out there who would love to take your listing, including myself.

If you have these concerns I would be happy to set up an appointment to meet with you or talk on the phone about being your Realtor. Just like your current listing agent has done I'll look at comparable properties in the neighborhood to make sure you are, in fact, priced correctly and I will even go as far as to help you should I feel your home needs advice on staging and de-cluttering.

I personally hold open houses unless no one is attending these open houses. If I'm actively advertising an open house but no one shows up it is not the best way for me to spend my time marketing your home. Are your open houses getting a lot of activity and have you been getting feedback from these open houses and even showings? This may pin point what needs to be done.

Jeff Stewart
REALTOR®, @properties
3101 N. Greenview Avenue, Chicago, IL 60657
309-269-3499 CELL | 773-305-0480 FAX
jeffstewart@atproperties.com
Phil is right...

Call the office managing broker, and explain your situation. The fact that you're a senior is irrelevant... they should not be publishing your phone number in the MLS, and he shouldn't be refusing to talk to you.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL