Home Selling in Pico Rivera>Question Details

Jo1c, Real Estate Pro in Westminster, CA

My realtor is incompetent and has already lost 3 purchases due to inaccurate information, lack of communication and questionable actions. We have no

Asked by Jo1c, Westminster, CA Fri Nov 8, 2013

active listing agreement As she switched companies (and had the agreement cancelled) and we have not signed a new agreement.

She does have a new buyer, however I am very reluctant to continue working with her. I need to close by the end of the year. Would it be totally unethical if I were to sign on with the buyer's agent to get this deal closed?

Answers

5
Wow!
If I udnerstand correctly, you are SELLING your home as a short sale.
Is your former agent ALSO the short sale negotiator?
What is your former agents realtionship to the negoitiator?
Do you have a seperate and independant agreement with the negotiator?
In a short sale situation, it is the negtotiator that is indespensible!
Do what you must do to retain this negotiator.
-
Depending on the lender, it may be REQUIRED or at the very least very beneficial to have the buyer and seller represnted by different brokerages. Banks know short sales mean 'give the bank a beating' and they are responded by creating an environment that lessens buyer/seller collaboration.
-
Now, if your past agent reads your above assessment that includes incompetant, lack of commmunication and questionable actions, it would be really miraculaous to keep them looking after you best interests. It is important to note, your assessment is always the result of those who enter a short sale NOT BELIEVING EVERYTHNG contianed in those discolusres you signed.
-
You have entered the "Wild, Wild, West of Real Estate, where there is an illusion of rules but where anything can and does happen." In such anarchy, a seller who truly did not comprehend will beleive it to be the fault of the agent. After all, EVERY failure, even regarding fake data on Trulia is perceived by the public to be the fault of the agent.
-
It may be determined to be in your best interest, since time is critcal, to mend your fences and finish the journey on the horse your started with. It is very, very possible that come Jan 1 2014, the short sale benefits will change dramiticly. You have NO TIME TO WASTE.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor FL
727.420.4041
Move to the Front of the Line
(http://FirstLookHomes.us)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 12, 2013
Thank you for your response. As this is not my "first rodeo", I am aware of many of the difficulties that can & do happen along the way & yes, part of the problem with the latest deal was the buyer (not the seller) did not understand the rules of this particular game & the agent was not communicating with him.
That said, the realtor did falsify some info on the listing to make the property more appealing to purchase (apparently, a not uncommon practice for this agent) & she withheld information from me that she knew for a fact would be an issue with me, in order to appease the buyer, by giving him access to the property that he had no right to have, at that point in the process. There is a separate negotiator, who will be staying with the process, even though she also has no desire to work with this agent any longer - for the above and several other reasons. Since she does have a new buyer, I have decided to stick with this agent, due to the limited time frame.
Flag Tue Nov 12, 2013
If you have to ask if something is unethical....then it is.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 12, 2013
A good Realtor is a very good investment. The trouble is that many Realtors are not so good. I would say to always do the right thing regardless.

If they listing has been canceled I would ask, did the listing agent play a role in getting this buyer?

So if the current agent is merely reacting to the marketing efforts of the first Realtor then the original agent should be included. Do not cheat her out of what she has earned, include her in the transaction to represent you, but get her broker involved.

I guess I would have to know more about the situation before I could give you a good answer on that.

I think you and I have spoken before, (if you are who I think you are) feel free to call me if you like, you can click on my picture to contact me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
In my professional opinion, I always recommend that clients have their own representation. This is mostly due to the fact that you want someone who will be able to look out for your best interest at all times. When you are representing buyer and seller in the same transaction, it could get difficult when and if their are things that need to be negotiated. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 8, 2013
Normally I would agree with you, however, I am on a strict deadline, as this is a short sale. There is already a new buyer. I do not feel like I have enough time to find a new agent & a new buyer, hence my considering going with the existing new buyer's agent.
Flag Fri Nov 8, 2013
That's great that you provided us with an update, when you chose to stick it out with your agent. What was the end result? Was the sale eventually successful?

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 4, 2014