kb, Home Seller in Cleveland, OH

My realtor has stopped communicating with me. How do I get out of the agreement if they just keep ignoring me?

Asked by kb, Cleveland, OH Thu Aug 16, 2012

My wife and I have left several messages with him (email, voicemail, and messages with assistants in the office) over the last three weeks. The only response I received from him was a terse email that said he would call me which he never did. I just sent an email to him and his boss requesting a termination to our agreement since it appears they have stopped communicating with me. Our agreement has 6 weeks remaining. They have not responded to that either.

Answers

10
KB,
What a disappointment. As you can read from the responses of all my collegues, we all take this a bit pesonally. In the future, this will most likely be YOUR 'defining moment' of a real estate professional. And nothing is further from the truth regarding those professionals who have dedicated their lives to helping owners sell and buyers purchse homes.
-
Whenever I've encountered such obvious contradictry behavior, time has revealed there is so much more taking place in that individuals life and that my judgement made me truly lose sleep. Always choose kindness. You simply can not know ......
-
The correct response is to turn towards your agent. You set a meet up date, at the agents office with the manager or broker in attendance. As Alicia hinted, you will be pleasantly surprised that gracious, non-judgemental, transparent communitions solve so many issues. Even if you choose to go different paths. you will still be friends. It is amazing how turning towards changes a perspective.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
I would recommend sending a certified letter with return receipt so that there can be no denial that the letter was sent and received. From there I would try contacting your local and state board of realtors as well as a real estate attorney. Actions like these should not go on unnoticed. It needs to be brought to the proper attention of those adequate in handling and resolving issues like these.

You might end up having to wait out the 6 weeks regardless but at least something like this won't happen to someone else.
Real estate agents are notorious for not answering phone calls. You must be very frustrated, I would go right up the ladder and contact the manager at the brokerage. You can usually easily find this information on google. Once you have that person's attention, you will be pleasantly surprised with how the tables turn in your favor. Home buying is time sensitive and you deserve an agent who will give you good communication.
If you have not communicated to your agent that you are feeling neglected, I would do that first. Perhaps he/she feels there is not a lot going on right now and doesn't realize he/she has left a communication gap. If you feel that the lack of communication is more serious than that, contact the office manager at his/her office and express your concerns. If you are still not happy with the way you are being treated then you could ask to be released from your contract. To be released from your contract is a mutual decision between you and the broker.
send the broker under which your agent works a letter with return receipt in which you factually state why you wish to terminate the listing agreement.
Then see what happens. In any case you are done in 6 weeks.
I am sorry to hear that. It is unfortunate when realtors do not adequately represent their clients. Maria is likely correct in her assessement, however I would recommend consulting a real estate attorney to be on the safe side before contacting another realtor to represent your interests. Best of Luck
I would recommend contacting the broker by calling the office. Explain the situation and request a release from the brokerage agreement. I am a Cleveland area agent and member of a top-rated real estate team, if you're looking for an agent that will give you the attention you deserve.

Contact me anytime!

Dominic Picione
Keller Williams
440-390-9510
dominicrealtor@aol.com
I'm an agent. If they quit communicating with you they have no right in pursuing the contract. Find another agent, and the new agent can handle the situation. :)

Just by sending another email to the Agent and his boss you can terminate the agreement due to the fact that they do not return the emails or phone calls. Just make sure that you keep copy of this emails in your folder. Next, you can send a certified letter to the local board of realtors communicating them about a possible breach of contract.

Maria Cipollone
Century 21
kb,

Consider giving the broker a while to respond to your request before sending a certified letter to the local board of realtors expressing information about a possible ethics violation.

There's always "two sides to any story." It may take a few days for the broker to collect the information needed to get back to you. One thing is for sure.....you will get a response from someone in the event you need to contact the local board.