James, Home Owner in Cherry Hills Village,...

My parents are trying to sell their Home in Cherry Hills and aren't having much luck. Do they need to reduce again? 21 Sunset Dr. Thank you.

Asked by James, Cherry Hills Village, CO Fri Feb 8, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1033747664-21-Sunset-Dr-Cherr…

Answers

9
A price reduction may be called for. i would need to see the house and talk with your parents before making a correct decision.

Bob Serotta
Kentwood Company
303 587 4700
James,
if they are not under contract with a listing agent or if their contract is coming to its end and they would like to work with a new agent for a fresh approach I would love to help them with selling/pricing/staging/marketing their home in wonderful Cherry Hills. Please tell them to contact me. I have many years of experience and have sold many homes.
Well this has been an interesting string of responses. From burying a statue in the yard to hiring a shaman. I think accurate pricing and aggressive marketing is the best bet. Homes priced right from the start end up selling for a higher average.
The price is too high...Not a lot of real live buyers at this price point. Any offers?
The price point and cost of ownership makes the world of potential buyers practically none. It will only sell after they reduce it to a point where a value investor can't resist it, and will move into it. Also, the style is very particular. I think (hate to say this) that the home would trade maybe at half their list price today, at best. I am local.
This is an old Realtor's myth / fable...but it once worked for me (no joke):

From the Examiner.com-

If you have not been able to sell your home, try the method of burying St. Joseph in your yard. It has worked for many people over the years. Watch the hilarious video of comedian Ron Culberson and his experience with it. Continue reading for Joan Berkowitz's experience.

After having her cottage weekend home in Accord, New York on the real estate market for a year and finding no buyers, applying the St. Joseph method Ms. Berkowitz had her house sold in three weeks. It does not matter if you are a Catholic and St. Joseph worshiper. Joan Berkowitz is Jewish.

Joan's good friend who is a staunch Catholic told her she needed St. Joseph's help to sell the house. This is not a new idea. The tradition is that you can sell your home faster if you bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard of the home. Christians believe that St. Joseph was Jesus Christ's earthly father and husband to Mary, Jesus' mother. After selling the house, either you are supposed to dig St. Joseph up and move him to a place of honor in your new home or leave him for the new owners.
Comedian Ron Culberson tells funny story of selling his house with St. Joseph statue.
Comedian Ron Culberson sells house

Where do you get a St. Joseph to try this method? Your local Catholic Church probably sells the statue if you are trying to buy local, although it may have traveled from China and is not a "green" product. Or places like the Mission of Nombre de Dios and Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche gift shop in St. Augustine, Florida sell just the statue for $1.95. Burying St. Joseph has become so popular that you can now buy St. Joseph home-selling kits on the Internet. Saints Market also has them for sale for $7.95. St. Patrick's Guild has a cheaper version for $6.95. (All prices subject to change--view websites for current prices.)

Joan Berkowitz got her St. Joseph from her friend who is a believer in saints and bought Joan a "saint in a box". See the attached picture. With the friend's guidance, Joan buried the palm-sized figurine upside down in her yard, six feet from the back door and read a prayer. And within three weeks, she had her offer on the house and closed in December 2011.

As Ms. Berkowitz said, how can she not believe in the divine intervention of St. Joseph and Jesus' heavenly father? She only had a little guilt about using a Christian practice. She said laughingly, "I feel like a traitor because I'm Jewish."

There is no proof that the saint or the statue was the cause of her home sale. The kits do not mention any commission owed to St. Joseph through the church. That does not appear to be part of the tradition which is reported to have been started by nuns in Europe hundreds of years ago to gain land for the monastery. Nuns buried St. Joseph medals around property.

The website Trulia says the national average for the days homes sit on the market is 107. The National Association of Realtors says it is only 69 days, both numbers being much less than the 365 days for the Berkowitz house. The three weeks with the St. Joseph method beats the national average.

Joan Berkowitz thinks the statue is "a good omen" and after moving out of the home, went back to dig up her St. Joseph. She is now looking for a new vacation home. Will St. Joseph help her or
does she need a different saint for finding a home?

If you have an interesting story about your own tested method of selling a home, please write
greenerbuilt1@gmail.com with the details to be shared with readers.
Hi James,

This is a tough price point for Denver. How long has it been on the market and what has the feedback been. Under most circumstances, any good experienced agent can get a home sold in Denver. But this is a unique price range that needs a high end Realtor who knows the neighborhood, has connections, and has the proper marketing to make a sale like this work. Best of success on your sale.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
What does their Realtor say? What does the feedback say? If they aren't getting any showings, then it's likely a price issue. If they're getting plenty of showings, but no offers, then it could be price, or something else. Location? Floorplan? Paint colors? Carpet? Showing condition? Decor? Too hard for anyone here to give you a definite answer. I'd ask the Realtor to do another CMA and see what has changed since it's come on the market. What has sold, what's gone under contract. I'd also look at the feedback.

I had listing that got a ton of showings, was priced well, good location, etc. and feedback was generally good, excep the paint color throughout the whole house was a horrible orangy/peachy color. Awful. Sellers refused to change it. I ended up losing the listing because it never sold, and they never listed to me. If people refuse to change things to attract a wider audience, then they need to accomodate for that somehow -- usually a price reduction.

I've also had a listing that had horrible dark blue carpet. Tons of showings, and feedback was the same. Carpet color was bad. Seller spent a fair amount of money to have carpet replaced, but we had an offer the next week.

And then on the VERY STRANGE side....I had a listing that had tons of showings, great feedback, good price, location etc. Couldn't figure out what the issue was. One day the seller asked me "Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that the previous owner died in the house?" Bingo! He hired a "shaman" who "cleansed" the house, and got rid of the "spirit" of the previous owner. Next week we had an offer. Seriously!

It could be any number of things. If you need the name of a good Shaman, let me know! :-)
James - do they have a good Realtor? If so, rerun the CMA (market analysis) and get "below the market" if they want to sell quickly. Have the Realtor explaing the "show zone" realtive to pricing - homes shown vs. too high of a price = not shown. They showings in order to get the offers required to sell. In Service!