Home Selling in 38111>Question Details

Pam Downing…, Renter in Memphis, TN

My mom passed.She was in hospital for over 2 months, then arrng funeral and I can't find out who to pay the back mortgage to. I just went to

Asked by Pam Downing Arendale, Memphis, TN Tue Dec 6, 2011

probate and received administrator of estate. I don't know what to do about selling the house so I can pay her remaining mortgage and other bills. I don't know who to pay the back mortgage to. She worked for 43 years for Metropolitan Life Insurance and I don't want this to go insolvent. I want to sell the house. She bought the house in 1993 and had it paid off in 2000, refinaced several times paying them off in just a few years each time. She has been very ill for several years and we did not know she refinanced again in Jan/2011. Why? I have no idea! If she had lived to be older she would have paid that one off also. Please help me. I don't know who to go to and I have no one to go to! I am her daughter and desperate to settle everything so she can rest in peace. This has been devasting.....

Help the community by answering this question:


Jennifer Arendale’s answer
Pam, this is Jennifer Arendale. I am Mike Arendale's daughter in law. Married to Mark. Call me at 901-218-5781 and I should be able to help you with some of this stuff. I deal with probate and estate issues pretty often. i also work for an estate sale company that may be able to help you.
Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Jennifer Arendale
Prudential Collins-Maury REALTORS
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 6, 2011
Pam, I am so sorry about your Mom passing,,, this is a tough time for you. Since you've been appointed as Executrix of the Estate you have some decisions to make. The best advice to give you would be to seek an Estate Attorney and meet with them. They will be able to guide you through the decisions as to the best steps to handle the estate the proper way and in the best interests of the Estate. This is a very difficult time for you to have to make decisions of this magnitude on your own. It always help to have an objective party help in circumstances such as these.
Again, my condolences.
Tina Evans, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
Cookeville, TN
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 6, 2011
Go to the county bldg and do a title search. It will show who filed the last lien. Pay them if you can. You may be able to do it online. a realestate tax bill will show any numbers you will need to conduct the search. Some records may be listed by address or owner's name.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2012
It is devastating to lose a loved one, then have to 'go through their things' to find out how to comply with their wishes. if you have a mortgage book or payment vouchers, they should have the name of the new mortgage holder. If there were no late payment notices to use to get this information, go to the county building and look on the microfiche to see what other names are on the property besides your mother's or try the title insurance company.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 21, 2012
I am sorry for you loss. I know from experience that settling an estate is one of life's most stressful events. I am assuming the house is in zip code 38111. I specialize in in-town properties and would be happy to help you do the research on the mortgage and discuss selling the property. Please feel free to contact me directly at 901-214-5563
Web Reference: http://spake.com/about
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 7, 2011
I am deeply sorry for your loss.

First, you need to consult with a Real Estate Attorney to conduct a title search to find out any and all leins on the property. This will also reveal the current mortgage holder so that it can be paid. I know of several reputable Real Estate Attornies that I could referr you to, if you would like.

In these types of situations, Auctions can be very beneficial in selling the real estate, as well as, any or all the personal property in a timely and covenient manner. It can also maximize the sales price and make it possible for the hiers or family members to move on in life.

In most cases, this entire process can be started and closed within 30 days or less. This process also allows for the buyer(s) to pay the commissions associated with the sale rather than in coming out of the seller's pocket.

I have dealt with many situations similar to yours. Please feel free to contact me at 931-224-2228 or email at ahensley76@gmail.com so we may further discuss possibilities for settling your mother's estate. Again, I am truly sorry for your loss and look forward to helping you in any way that I can.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 6, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer