Home Selling in Nyack>Question Details

Judy A, Home Buyer in Nyack, NY

My listing is expiring and my house is not sold. Should I continue with my agent or list with another agent? Which would be more beneficial to me?

Asked by Judy A, Nyack, NY Sat May 15, 2010

Nancy Blaker Weber’s answer
If your house is priced accurately for todays market it should sell. Perhaps you need to take a fresh look at your house with and honestly access its curb appeal and interior state. I work very closely with a stager consultant who often can tweak things abit to give a new look with rearrangement of furniture and a bit of painting.
Most importantly, you need to sit down with your agent and go over the history of the listing and try to pinpoint the problems. If your agent is a full time experienced agent with good marketshare you should be able to get to the root of the issue.
If you feel after that meeting that the relationship and handling of your listing is not working, you may want to consult with a different agent and aggressively create a new approach.
Nancy Blaker Weber 914-263-3403
Web Reference: http://www.nancybweber.com

It would seem that you should evaluate your agent's performance priot to making the decision to go with another agent.

Were you getting regular showings?
Did your agent provide you with feedback on your showings?
Were you provided with recommendations that would improve your bomes marketability?
Did you receive any offers?
Did you agent make you aware of market activity in your home's general location?
Were you provided with a marketing plan for your home?
Was your home advertised?
Was your home promoted via the internet?
Are you resisting recommended price adjustments?

Making the decision to change agents is your choice BUT if the agent has fulfilled their responsibility to you and represented the home well, it may be unfair to make an adjustment without a discussion about the services they have provided.

Best wishes,

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 15, 2010
Usually its not the listing agent that sells your property it's the selling agent.
It is important that the listing and ads are showing off your property in the best possible light.
Questions you need to ask yourself is .. Is my house priced right? Does the listing look good?
Do I have a lockbox on, or is it very easy to show?
Now if the house is priced right, pictures, listing all looks good then stick with your currrent Realtor would be our advice. Maybe there are similar properties within your listed price so think of something you can do different such as a paint, or clean carpets, yard work or maybe add some ceilings fans, these little things can really help. Also if you have a pet or smokers in the house this can send away buyers. Perhaps you might consider caging your pet if you have one during showing hours. smoking out side if you do smoke.
all these things add up to a sale or no sale.

Hope that helps

Dave & Lisa
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 15, 2010
I think it all depends on your agent.
Have the two of you discussed why your house hasn't sold?
Has your agent taken beautiful pictures to post on the MLS and other realtor websites(such as this one)?
Are you satisfied with your agent's performance and advice?
Have you taken your agent's advice(especially regarding pricing)?
Is your agent's advice even worth taking?
Has your agent told you want you need to hear in order to sell the house or what you want to hear in order to get and keep the listing?
Ultimately, this is obviously a question only you can answer.
If you are dissatisfied with your agent's performance then by all means, list with another agent.
If you trust you agent, follow their advice regarding pricing and how to present your home and be prepared to do what is necessary to get your house sold.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 15, 2010
I think that you need to evaluate the job that your agent has done, & the business relationship that you've developed. The grass isn't always greener! If you do decide to make a change, interview a view agents before you relist. Good Luck! :)

Marty Remo
Judy - since your question was asked back in May - please tell us what you decided to do. Did you ultimately stay with your agent, or list with someone new?

The bigger question is - did your house sell yet?

Best wishes............
If you are happy with your agent, he/she has a good marketing plan that is maximizing your exposure, it may not be your agent's fault that the property hasn't sold--pricing and marketing are paramount in today's market--review comps--recently sold similar properties in the immediate--see if they are suggesting a reduction--does the property show well, is it neat, clean, clutter free, and don't forget the exterior for curb appeal--do keep in mind that a property is worth what someone is willing to pay for it--it doesn't matter what the seller needs or potential buyer can afford to spend--market conditions do matter.
Judy...there are 3 aspects to consider when trying to sell your house....How it shows (appearance), how it is priced and how it is marketed.

Your Realtor should be giving you sound advice in these areas. The only thing a Realtor cannot promise is that the house will sell....but they can help you to aggressively price it, stage it for a potential buyer and market it well beyond MLS.

Deal with whomever offers you those three important aspects of the relationship.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
Hi Judy,
I'm an agent in the Nyacks and if your agent has been giving you the right advice and you have been following it then your home should sell. Have there been many showings? Any offers? I would be happy to consult via phone then you can decide if your current agent has been doing the right job for you 845-548-2245.
Daniela Staub
Judy - if you should decide to move to another agent, please just make sure it is for a valid reason, and not because the agent has become the scapegoat for the home not selling. Often seller's frustrations when the house hasn't sold are taken out on the agent, and they have the hope that a new agent can perform magic and make the house sell.

When I see a seller switch agents........give the new agent a nice price reduction, and then the house sells quickly............my heart goes out to the first agent! And, believe me, this does happen.

It very well may be, however, that it is time for you and your agent to part ways. Only you can decide that.

Did you and your agent have a good working relationship? Did you follow advice on pricing along the way.......advice on staging?
Do you feel that you and your agent have worked well as a team? Did you get market updates? Feedback from showings? Has your marketing plan - including internet exposure and photos - been implemented as promised?

If the answers to the above questions are yes.........then I suggest you take a deep breath, and sit down with your agent. Ask him or her to come up with some renewed ideas to try out moving forward.....and move forward together as a team!

Best wishes........
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 15, 2010
Hi Judy, you've gotten great advise so far - whatever the outcome this is a time for you to reflect on the performance of two things - your home and your agent. Both need to be performing well in order to succeed. Take a step back and consider the presentation and pricing of your home - if your home would benefit from staging, do it. I can't tell you how many homes have successfully sold, and quickly, post staging after sitting unsold for months before. But no amount of staging, pretty pictures and promotion will cure a pricing problem. So be honest with youself about pricing - the fact that your home has not sold suggests to me that at least in part, you've got a pricing issue that needs to be corrected.

The prior posters have given good barameters to measure your agents performance. Consider how she/he has performed and if she/he has done a good job, then consider extending the listing with her/him. If not, then the expiration of the listing presents a good time for change.

Good luck to you! I hope your home sells very quickly.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Step outside your home, and pretend you are a buyer, seeing it for the first time.

Is your yard groomed, and nice?
Is there a for sale sign, with flyers in the flyer box?
Is the sign itself nice & clean - or tattered and tired?
Do you need to wash the windows?
Is there litter on the street, sidewalk, or worse - your own yard?

Step inside.
Does this home look like a "model" home, with everything neat and tidy, beds made, dishes done, counters and floors clean?
Do you have the curtains open to let the light come in?

When you and your agent discuss price, condition, or things you can do -- do you get right on your "assignments" and get them done? Have you followed every one of your agents recommendations?

Sometimes the client doens't want to hear that they aren't doing their homework. Sometimes they are, and the house still isn't selling. Sometimes you do need to change agents - but think deeply about your property, and what your role has been. Have you been part of the problem, or part of the solution? Has your agent been part of the problem, or part of the solution?
Hi Judy - I'm a home stager here in Rockland and I would be happy to discuss my services with you. Home staging will show your house in the best possible light and make it more attractive to a wide variety of potential buyers. I just worked with an agent on a home in Thiells and it sold in less than five weeks for more than the agent expected it to. Currently homes are on the market for approximately 6 months, so all parties felt that staging made a difference in the home selling so quickly. Give me a call for a free consultation, I'd be happy to help.
Hello Judy, I quite agree with the last posting. If you are satisfied with the performance of your Agent by all means retain their services. As an Agent in Rockland County for the last decade consider the Company, Agent etc. Getting the job done should be the common goal. Any further questions feel free to email me at allan.erps@randrealty.com or call my cell at 845-304-3040. Always available to help. Regards Allan Erps, ABR,SFR