Krista, Home Seller in Bloomfield Hills, MI

My listing agent on my home doesnt DO ANYTHING other than have the house on the MLS.

Asked by Krista, Bloomfield Hills, MI Fri Jul 24, 2009

I had another agent make an offer in the feedback several weeks ago and he never even called her to try to get them to make an offer. Here was someone saying they really liked the house and it would work for them,but he doesn't even try to make contact. Agents, once you have the listing and its on the MLS- IS THAT IT??? How is that different from listing by owner on the MLS. I am going to have to switch agents, but I dont know if that will help if no one wants to work for a sale.

Answers

15
Krista, tell him to call or you will.
JR, actually you probably have no idea how to "get" an agent to make an offer , because you have never had another agent ask for your response to "get" the offer (prior to be willing to write an offer) . I explained that further in this thread. So, dont worry , you are probably an okay agent, even though you did not understand my post.

And thanks for explaining how much your company spends on web presence. It was very interesting. However, as nice as web presence is, if that was all we needed, we wouldnt need you- the live agent.

My question was commenting on how I thought it was unusal the buyer's agent was negotiating in the feedback instead of just writing an offer. The agent stated "If your selling is willing to go down to $XXXXX, we would be willing to write an offer"

So the agent stated they needed a response before they would write an offer. So, essentially my agent had to resond to "GET" the offer. My agent did not respond.

My statement was more about-- is this what the business has come to, agents dont want to bother to write up an offer and are negotiating in the feedback . And about how my agent did not respond.
Krista,

Our recommendartioon is to select your agent and agency more carefully the next time. Request a written marketing plan for you specific home that outlines everything the agent and agency offers its customers.

Topics that should be covered:

advertising-both personal and company
internet presence
open houses
how customers are attracted
feedback on showings
total volume sold in the past 6 months, 12 months
how do they attract foreign buyers
are they a "full time" agent
ask for letters of recommendation
why should you select them

Communication with you as a seller and any potential buyer is important. I am sorry you expierenced this kind of lack of service. I would love to talk to you about what I do as an agent. I have an appt. I have to be at right now. My direct email is lauramillersells@aol.com
I'm very familiar with your market. I used to work in Detroit, and I have lots of relatives who live there. (Some of them who are in Southfield are relatively close to you.)

Tell your agent to let you review all offers--including the low ones.

Again, what's the MLS number of your listing, and are you open to any seller financing?
There could be several reasons for that. Perhaps, you do need to work with another agent. Or maybe your agent rejected the offer without consulting you, because maybe the offer came in lower than your specified minimum price.

Since we're talking . . . what's the MLS number of your listing? And are you open to any seller financing?
I know Laura! This is a nightmare. I am desperate to sell my house as my husband took another job out of state 2 years ago. My house has an inground pool so my selling season is even shorter. I am not exaggerating the situation - my agent really wants to do nothing. Not even a phone call when asked. His response is if they are interested they will write an offer, he doesnt need to call. I am sick and paralyzed with fear because I have no chance of selling with service like this. My contract is through November, and I am not really sure what is involved with trying to get out of it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 6, 2009
the other agent asked the listing agent if we would take below a certain figure. My agent never even responded. He could have at least did what that agent did, said "they cant go quitethat low, but might entertain this..." IN this market it is unexcusable to not TRY to do some SELLING on the listing end.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 24, 2009
Since this question is more than a year old, I am hopeful that Krista has found a buyer and sold her house. Just noticed a new answer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
You replied in your last email to me that you do not know what is envolved in getting out of your contract. I would first read everything you signed again. Then I would call and tell them you are unhappy and that you want out of the contract. Get everything in writing that you do. I am sure they will try to make you happy. It may take a few calls to get what you want, but what do you have to loose, If they don't want to let you out then they will have to work harder to keep you happy. Let me know. Laura Miller
Krista, I don't know why your agent would not call this person that expressed interest. I would ask your agent. Communication is vitally important. Laura Miller
The MLS (Multiple Listing Service) is primarly an informational tool for agents. Granted, other search engines pick up the listing info and make it available to the general public. Therefore, it becomes an internet marketing tool.

But, marketing is but one of the essential duties of a listing agent. Once interest has been generated, it is the sellers agent that is responsible for promoting the best interests of the seller and enhancing the sellers position in any/all potential negotiations.

The bottom line is, you could have the worlds greatest marketer but, if they do not possess the skills, knowledge, and ability to get a potential deal to the closing table....what have you really got besides a home that is still for sale?
JR, I know about the situation because my agent admitted it to me when I later got copies of feeback forwarded to me. I would have considered an offer in that ballpark. That is why it is upsetting to me. Finding out about this a month later, it is too late now. Even if my agent would have said what you said" submit the offer and we will see". But he did nothing. I am living in an area where there is one buyer for every 100 houses. As for web prescense, I know there are the usual uploads to yahoo. realestate, and several others, but once that is done- it is not like there is any work involved on my agents part, he told me so.

To further illiustrate my point: Yesterday I had a 3rd showing on my house for same buyer. I asked my agent if he could call and find out how it went. Especially since he is friends with the buyer's agent. He responded that an email goes out from feedback program and I would have to wait to see if he filed it out. I wouldnt ask him to call except this is a 3rd showing. But he doesnt want to do any extra work, even a phone call is out of line.
Krista: JR, actually you probably have no idea how to "get" an agent to make an offer , because you have never had another agent ask for your response to "get" the offer (prior to be willing to write an offer) . I explained that further in this thread. So, dont worry , you are probably an okay agent, even though you did not understand my post.

JR: Krista, my comment was I had no idea what you were saying in the previous statement about “getting and agent to make an offer” and I have no idea what you’re saying here either. What does “get and agent to make an offer mean”? The agent is buying the house? The agent is not trying to make their buyer submit an offer? Pardon me for not being a mind reader. You say the other agent asked if you would take a certain amount and your agent didn’t respond. How do you know that your agent didn’t respond? Did the other agent contact you and tell you that? A lot of posters think we can fill in the blanks to an incomplete comment or question.

Krista: And thanks for explaining how much your company spends on web presence. It was very interesting. However, as nice as web presence is, if that was all we needed, we wouldnt need you- the live agent.

JR: Please elaborate on why you wouldn’t need me? I am my company. I represent the website that employs 50 people full time that work to sell your house. I am also the agent who brings the buyers who come to me off of your web presence and the web presence of the other homes that are listed and negotiates your offer so that you can move on with your life without you two parties meeting each other directly and one of you saying something the other takes offense to and blowing the deal out of the water. I just had a seller who ran into the buyer in this small town. Seller tells the buyer, totally innocently, that they aren’t fixing the broken window in their house because “it’s been like that since WE moved in”. Buyer says obviously homeowner has no pride in the ownership of their house, if they didn’t fix that over the past 12 years, what else didn’t they fix. Kablooie, seller blow 300,000 in one seemingly innocuous, but to the buyer antagonistic, comment.

Krista: My question was commenting on how I thought it was unusal the buyer's agent was negotiating in the feedback instead of just writing an offer. The agent stated "If your selling is willing to go down to $XXXXX, we would be willing to write an offer"

JR: and you weren’t, correct? But then you say your agent didn’t respond to the other agent. Which is it? Your agent didn’t respond, or they did? Personally, I agree, if they responded with a simple “no”, they should have said instead “I don’t know, submit the offer and we’ll see”. I don’t consider this “negotiating in the feedback”, I consider “do you think they seller will take. . . “ comments as fishing expeditions, in this market anyway. I always say “submit the offer and we’ll see” and most of the time there’s no offer forthcoming. If there have already been offers that the seller has flat out turned down I tell them to submit it, but they’ve already turned down more, so they’ll have to come up, but those too are fishing expediditions. Buyers are just throwing out crazy numbers to see if anything sticks. The buyers agent should be telling THEIR client to put in an offer and we’ll see. If they aren’t that buyers agent is wasting their own time. The best way to qualify a buyer is to call their bluff when they want to throw out a low ball offer “I don’t know, let’s fill out an official offer form with a good faith deposit and see”. A buyer will do it, a fisher will back down.

How many offers have you had on your house?

Krista: So the agent stated they needed a response before they would write an offer. So, essentially my agent had to resond to "GET" the offer. My agent did not respond.

JR: Your agent did this how many times and how did you discover this? It’s a little disconcerting to me that you are putting all agents into the same category because your agent seems inept to you.
I recently had one of my seller clients call me and comment “it doesn’t look like your company does anything to sell a house.” I asked him what he meant, and he said he never sees any ads in the paper for his house. My company spends about $35 million a year on their webpresence. This means getting our listings out in front, first and foremost in search engines. This means arranging so that every home listed on some websites comes up as one of ours. It may look to you as if your company/agent isn’t doing anything but putting your home in the MLS, but that’s where the buyers come from and that’s where the agents look.

On a side note you said: I had another agent make an offer in the feedback several weeks ago and he never even called her to try to get them to make an offer. I have no idea what that means other than your agent didn’t TRY to get another agent’s buyer to make an offer. I have yet figured out how to “get” someone to make an offer other than having a well priced well maintained listing. If you have any other ideas I hope you will share them.