Shavon, Other/Just Looking in 48228

My landlord tells me he is selling the house in short sale. A person came and said he was buying the house

Asked by Shavon, 48228 Sat Jul 4, 2009

throught the agent and the bank and did not know my landlord. How do i know if my landlord has not sold it to the bank already and still coming to collect rent?

Answers

4
I can check to see if the home is listed. Are you in a month-to-month lease?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 5, 2009
Hi Shavon,

Here is a new website FREE for you to see if the home you are renting is heading for foreclosure

http://www.foreclosurerental.com

good luck!
Greetings Shavon,
Are you asking "How do I make sure my stuff isn't going to be put on the street while I'm at work and still paying rent?"

I think if you read what you have written you realize what time it is. Somebody is having money problems and it isn't you.

Is mail coming to the house in your landlord's name from an attorney's office? Not a good sign.

Although your landlord may have every intention of selling the house in a short-sale, things have a way of NOT working out.

I believe that if you turned the lights off the writing on the walls would be in that Glow-In-The-Dark Ink.

Good Luck...Trust your instincts,
I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. Check with a lawyer. However . . . .

You have a lease with your landlord, the owner. Your obligation is to make the payments per the terms of your lease. If the property is sold to someone else, that action is between the buyer and the seller. The obligations of the lease will transfer from the seller to the buyer (regarding provision of housing, etc.). Bluntly, it's up to the two of them to coordinate payment arrangements. Technically, once the house is sold, the previous owner no longer has the right to collect rent from you. That right transfers to the new owner.

However, your obligation is to pay rent to the owner. When you are officially notified that ownership has been transferred (not that someone is buying the house . . . when someone has bought the house and ownership has transferred), then you pay the new owner.

Meanwhile, of course, keep complete records of your payments and evidence that payment has been made.

Beyond that, consult with a lawyer.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA