Home Selling in Wilmington>Question Details

treescott, Home Buyer in 19808

My husband died in October. He left the LR & Kit 1/2 completed (renov.) The house was built in 1954 (Smyrna). I would like to move closer to

Asked by treescott, 19808 Sat Feb 4, 2012

family (Wilm) after getting a job there (milford now). Should I pay to have the jobs completed or sell the home "as is" and risk a lower payoff. FYI we didn't overpay when we bought & I have about 20K equity. Thanks!

Answers

6
I would reccomend completing the renovations to a very basic/generic state. I think it is always better to put up a property that someone could move in to immediately, rather than having to wait while the repairs need to be made. Just my opinion. If you need more assistance, feel free to contact Big Bad Wolf Construction Co., LLC. Located out of Smyrna, DE.
In my opinion, the vast majority of people interested in purchasing mid-renovation homes are investors or first time homebuyers. Unfortunately the investment interest in Smyrna is relatively low at the time which will limit investor appeal. First time homebuyers are going to estimate the cost of finishing the jobs into their available budget which will probably lead to very low offers. If you haven't already made a decision, I would suggest having the repairs completed. I have dealt with contractors who have charged material costs up front and labor costs (plus a rather high fee- based on their "investment" of time) are paid when the house closes.
Treescott,

I am a real estate investor also and am wonderful when it comes down to "bean counting" and that is where you are with your question.

It is something that has to be reviewed as a whole... this is because you are contemplating a move and would also depend on your current value or potential net income from your current sale / location.
Please call me,
kai Etienne, 302=588-7890

PS I am also a contractor so I can share some of my thoughts on your repair cost (note - I am NOT interested in doing any repairs as this, I feel would be un ethical on my part). But, with that said, I can share some great advice with respect to your current life situation.
I agree with BBWolf Construction. Have the rooms finished and then put the home up for sale. You should have a better chance of getting an offer when the home is move in ready. Feel free to call me with any questions. Lauri Brockson, Patterson Schwartz 302-383-0147
Maybe it's time to interview 3 local agents & see what they think will best help get your house sold.
Your choice;
Finish it
or
Give the Buyers $10,000 allowance to finish it in their taste.

Good luck and may God bless