Kesa, Renter in 30328

My husband and I are looking to rent before we buy. We are considering Cabbagetown/Reynoldstown. WE are concerned about schools and resale, any adv?

Asked by Kesa, 30328 Sun Oct 16, 2011

Answers

7
Hello Kesa;

It is an "OK" neighborhood, the schools aren't the greatest. Smart to rent first to see if you guys can adjust to the neighborhoods and school system. I would venture a little further North. Renting is fine, I don't know your price range but look at other areas before settling for just one area.

Tye
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 16, 2011
Transitional neighborhood with cute houses. Close to a lot that the city has to offer. But the schools are terrible, and it will impact your resale. That's the boat I'm in (live right around the corner in the Old Fourth Ward). There's no way I'd send my kids to the elementary or middle school that you're zoned for, but you may qualify for the Grant Park charter school that's K-8. The high school is Grady, which is not awful. If you want good elementary and middle schools, you need to check out neighborhoods that are zoned for Morningside, SPARK or Mary Lin elementaries, all feeding into Inman Middle, so that's Lake Claire, Candler Park, Inman Park, Poncey-Highlands, Viriginia Highlands, Morningside, and part of Midtown. Tread carefully - some rumors that they are looking at rezoning in these neighborhood schools due to overcrowding.

Kesa, I also agree with those Realtors below that renting is a good way to learn an area and explore others while deciding on a final destination for your perfect home. Cabbagetown is a great area with a huge central park great for kids dog walking, etc. It is not a huge park but it is quite nice and great for a day's outing. I have a listed home for sale that is located right on the park. It is up for sale but seeing it may give you an idea of what the architecture and style of homes are in the neighborhood.

Cabbagetown is an historic neighborhood with many bungalows that have old fireplaces and high ceilings. Reynoldstown on the other hand is nice as well but does not have the same historic building restrictions. My friends that live in Cabbagetown send their kids to Drew Charter School which has high test score rankings but the overall public schools there don't have as good a reputation. You may find more information on local schools and how they rank at http://www.greatschools.org and I encourage you to check out the local schools in person and ask neighbors about their experiences.

Experiencing a neighborhood first hand is the best way to decide whether or not it is for you. I suggest going to the Cabbagetown Chomp and Stomp on November 5th. Take a look at http://www.chompandstomp.com . It is a smaller day festival in Cabbagetown Park that has a chili cookoff(contest), live music, cold beer, artist booths, and other family activities. This is a great way to get the flavor of the neighborhood. I am also going to holding open my listing there this Sunday, October 23rd, from 2:00 til 4:00 pm if you would like to come by and chat about your search. Just email me for the address and directions. Thank you, good luck in your search, and I would love to see you there!
Hi Kesa, you got some advice from agents below, but the very best way for you, really is to connect with a local
Realtor to show you properties in your size and price range to rent, once you find them, check out the schools
I always suggest to my clients to go and visit the schools, and to check out their information on the their websites on the internet.....

So either find the property to purchase, then check out the area, neighborhood and schools and access to public transportation, restaurants and shopping or just what is important to you.....

If you have time do it the other way around, explore the neighborhoods and schools and find the 2 or 3
neighborhoods you are particularly fond of and then ask your Realtor to search only in those areas.

If you are renting, you have ample time to explore the areas talk to neighbors and other acquaintances in
the area about what they like about where they live.... Renting for a while before buying is not a bad idea
if you are not very familiar with the town or areas...

Good luck to you!
Edith YourRealtor4Life! And Chicago&NorthernIllinois and North Shore Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients....
Kesa,
I have lived adjacent to Cabbagetown & Reynoldtown in Grant Park for 19 years. Both neighborhoods have a very strong sense of community. Reynoldstown is home to Atlanta's only Tech High Scool. Give me a call, I would be happy to talk to you about your options.

Best of Luck in your home search!
Dave
Hi Kesa,

Here are two sites to help you to compare schools in Metro Atlanta and GA:

http://www.greatschools.net
http://www.gppf.org

Veronika
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 16, 2011
Cabbagetown is a great area if you like to be close to downtown, resale value is great too. As for the schools I am not sure, most of my clients who bought in the area have no kids. I suggest going through Cabbageown and speak to the locals who frequent the restaurants, on a nice day they are sitting outside having breakfast and lunch.