John, Other/Just Looking in

My house was built in 1978 with wood shingle sidings that now needs some repair. Which would add more value

Asked by John, Mon May 19, 2008

to my house come time to sell....repair and repaint the wood siding and make it look like new or replace with vinyl siding? zipcode 08816

Answers

9
Hi John, vinyl or depending on your budget and what is considered most desirable in your market by buyers, consider Hardiplank. I have a buyer right now here in NJ that is literally sorting homes based on whether they've got hardiplank or not. But it is an expensive option that may be beyong the scope or your budget or buyer expecations for the price of your home.

Good luck to you! Here if I can be of service....

Jeannie Feenick
Weichert Realtors
Search and connect at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
I had my aluminum-sided house painted 4 yrs ago for about $6K. I didn't even check out how much siding would cost. Within a couple of years I wished I had not only put siding on, but installed new insulation underneath. With heating and cooling costs what they are, new insulation is where it's at. Now my paint is peeling (that's what paint does!) But I think vinyl siding can look tacky and I wouldn't use any building material that grows mold. (That's one thing I really like about my aluminum siding - no mold ever.) So if I were you, I'd use something like the hardiplank/fiber cement stuff, and put new insulation under it. Nothing sells a house nowadays like "making it green" and ecologically cheaper. Just don't use the cheapest vinyl and check out your contractor's Old siding jobs- from at least a few years ago - to see how they're holding up. Don't just check out the ones he did last month.
I have to agree with the opinions that you should update your siding to keep up the value of your investment. However, I am not sure of how well vinal siding is received in your area. In Texas. though cheap, it is not that popular and often covers damaged siding that imakes it hard to inspect. My suggestion as far as material would be Hardiplank siding. (See link below) In my former life in construction, this material was not widely used and was often more expensive however these days is more reasonably priced. The only construction I do now is as a carpenter and site leader with Habitat for Humanity and we use Hardiplank extensively. It is pretty amazing because it is fairly easy to install, does not rot, bugs do not eat it and it is flame retardant.

No matter what you decide, you shoul always keep your home in the best condition whether you are planning to stay or sell. the longer you defer any maintenence, the more costly it will be later on. I hope this has helped.

Russell M. Lewis
Broker,GRI,CLHMS
AvenueOne Properties, Inc.
901 W. Ninth St. #110
Austin, Texas 78703
(512) 531-3150: Office Direct
(512) 472-4722: Office Fax
(512) 657-8769: Mobile/VM
rlewis@aveone.com
http://www.aveone.com
Selling Homes in Austin's Finest neighborhoods
Invest in your home. Do the siding. otherwise the first thing you are going to hear is.. "welll, the offer is based on the fact that the new owers will have to put siding ont he house..."

Do the smart thing and update.. it will help you in the long run.
Keeping your home updated is the single most important thing you can do. Keeping your house updated is the key for selling your house in the future for a profit. Vinyl siding is the way to go!!!
Can't add much to what was said:

If you go with vinyl, I would add extra insulation. After all, you are living there until you decide to sell and there are people who have told me they cut their heating bills in 1/2.

If carpenter bees are a problem where you are, vinyl would be good too.
John, I suggest you look at the competition your house will have once you put it on the market. The best indicators as to how to proceed are what your budget is and what the market will demand. If yours is the lease expensive home in the area and competition is using either hardy plank or solid wood siding you may want to consider these. If vinyl or aluminum siding is the norm consider a switch to this. If the cedar shakes arent too bad repairing and restaining may be the best bang for the buck. You certainly dont want to over improve but on the other hand it sounds as if something should be done. (typically buyers will deduct far more than actual cost of repairs they believe are needed when making an offer) You can email me if you have questions. I own 4 homes with a variety of sidings from vinyl to Aluminum, wood and brick. No one answer is true for all. Email me if you would like to further discuss.
Ken
I agree. Vinyl siding (seamless) in a nuetral color would be best. And if you decide to do that, make sure the rest of the exterior is updated or at least neat and clean. (Roof, walkway, garage doors, etc...)
A nice seemless, textured vinyl siding is the way to go. Wood siding is a negative these days as it needs too much maintenance. Almost all of the buyers that I deal with look askance at wood siding, especially cedar shakes, which age poorly and become a haven for insects, wood boring bees, etc.

Wood clapboard is less of a problem, but from a marketing standpoint, I'd go with vinyl at this point.

-Marc
Web Reference: http://www.marcpaolella.com