Home Selling in Gold Canyon>Question Details

Bjflys, Home Seller in Gold Canyon, AZ

My house sold-not closed.The buyers realtor came in the house with the buyers while she knew I was gone. Do I speak to her broker or who? Unethical.

Asked by Bjflys, Gold Canyon, AZ Thu Feb 9, 2012

Answers

10
Buyer's agents should never enter a home without making an appointment first. Perhaps they made an appointment with your listing agent and the listing agent didn't pass the word on to you? I would start buy asking your agent if an appointment was made. If not, you can complain to the buyer's agent's broker about it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 9, 2012
This is an example of very poor communication. I would definitely have lockbox removed first, then obviously ask the questions necessary to get to the bottom of what exactly happened. It's been my experience that protocols weren't followed that were in place to "show" the home. If there were no instructions or steps for a buyers agent to take before showing the home, then certainly there needs to be. Hopefully you have a listing agent you can funnel these concerns through. If not, just keep in mind the property is far from "sold" and there could be further attempted showings again without your prior approval.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 14, 2013
I have a different perspective, being a Seller and not an Agent. This Agent out of courtesy should have contacted you. Bottom line. It is absolutely rude for them to do this sort of thing, but they do. The agents seem indifferent to the Sellers needs these days and many (not all) are very inconsiderate.. I do not blame you for being upset. I would be too. I realize you must make a home available for showings, but usually an owner is very specific about how these showings are to be dealt with, and I have found that some Agents knowingly will ignore the homeowners requests for advance notice, show up at the door and hope for the best. If the Seller is upset, Oh well, the Sellers are the ones that look like jerks when they won't let someone in their house. I really would hope to see a change in these sorts of attitudes. In Arizona especially the Gold Canyon area there seems to be a lack of courtesy and professionalism. We have had many bad years of declining values and listings may have become a dime a dozen and unfortunately the result is a complete lack of courtesy towards the Sellers.
Did they damage or steal something? I wouldn’t take any action that may damage the progress of your transaction unless they did. Discuss with your Realtor, if you do not have one that may be part of the problem, good luck,
I would contact your Agent and have them remove the lockbox. I would then let the Buyers Agent know that the lockbox has been removed. If the Buyer would like to see the home in the future, they need to call and schedule and appointment.
Please keep in mind that the Buyer is possibly excited about purchasing your home. Yes, it is still yours, but they may need to measure a wall, etc. Try to keep everyone moving forward to the closing date.
BJ,
You also have a contract that probably states that the seller has to make the property available to the buy upon reasonable notice. Call your Realtor and see what happened, likely the buyer's agent had permission from your agent.
This isn't a Law and Order episode, folks. It's not a question of what the listing agreement says. Best thing to do, BJ, is talk to your agent and find out what happened, have them speak to the buyers' agent to find out what happened. It may feel creepy but it wasn't at all unethical, not if there's a lockbox on the home.
Gold Canyon Seller,
Clearly you feel violated knowing someone has entered your home without your prior knowledge. No one likes it when this situation occurs, especially the real estate professional.
-
Unfortunately, I have arrived at the front door of a home for sale that was scheduled to show the previous day. I ring the bell, knock on the door and proceed to use the electronic key to unlock the door. The owner, fresh from the shower, opens the door first. Yep, the arrangements made via the 'Showing Central' command center did not get to this person, who was the owner. Had they not been home, or worse, did not hear my knock or the door bell, I would have been standing in the middle of the home as they streaked to the dressing station.
-
Often, in the showing instructions portion of the listing, an agent will state, "Easy show, courtesy call before showing." This is interpreted as the buyer agent is to call the listing agent (or whoever is identified in these instructions) with intended time to show, and unless instructed differently by the listing agent, it's good to go and show.
-
There is so much we do not know pertaining to your specific situation. You may have a limited service listing agreement. You may have agreed to show the home yourself. You may have requested to be the showing scheduler. The status of your home may not be current and still shows as 'Active."
-
Finally, as you have read many times right here on Trulia, buyers do not like looking at a home while the owner is present. The are inhibited from having a real discussion regarding any issues or renovations, sensitive to offending the owner who has invested so much in their home. As primarily a listing agent, I keep protocols in place to assure absolute control of access to a home that has an accepted offer in place.
-
There is much we don't know, but we all appreciate how you feel and agree this is most unfortunate. There is much, however, that we do not know. Before you choose the "scorched earth" path, and escalate this, take a minute to see how things went wrong. Have assumptions been made? Is it possible you are over reacting? Then, rather than pursuing retribution, implement better controls.

Best of success in selling your AZ home.
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
Bj....

Before taking action.....check your agent portion of the MLS information. Showing instructions should be indicated and clarify what the terms and expectations are for agents to enter your home. We always recommend that a home occupied by the owner before being seen has the showing agent be in direct/indirect contact with the owner.

Be clear on what your MLS states prior to contacting the agent's broker.....

Dear BJ Flys,

What does your listing agreement and the MLS Listing state?. Does it say that buyer's agents need to make an appointment with you before they come in to your home? If it states they must make an appointment then you can talk to the Broker for the Buyer's Agent. What does your listing agent have to say about the matter?
The listing agent should be addressing the issue for you because LA works for you. But you can also talk to the Buyer's Agent Broker and make them aware of the situation.

Cara J. Simmons, REALTOR
ABR, CRS, CSSPE, EPRO, SRES
RRC - Referral & Relocation Certified
Sun Canyon Realty - Southeast Valley
602-399-0663
Cara@CallCara.com
http://www.CallCara.com
Web Reference: http://www.CallCara.com