Home Selling in Standish>Question Details

Angela, Home Buyer in Standish, CA

My house is in escrow but I cant get the appraiser to do the appraisel because the m.l.s add was for residential, the appraiser says its commercial

Asked by Angela, Standish, CA Fri Nov 11, 2011

The home that is in escrow has a house and a very old mercentile that comes with the house the appraiser has went out several times and stated that he can't do the appraisal because of the mercentile. Why? and is there anyway around this obstacle

Answers

4
You may just need to use a different appraiser. Some are not qualified to deal with mixed properties. It should not be too difficult to appraise the value of a residence and the value of the older commercial building. Is the mercantile being actively use? What is the value per Lassen County tax assessor?
If you have a "grandfathererd" zoning....then will the property revert to residential or to commercial at close of escrow?
What does your realtor say?
You also need to ck with the Bldg Dept. An Extension of Time may be needed-but this can be resolved. Good luck with this transaction.
Lee Ballard Sierra Heritage Realty, Chester, CA
Flag Sat Jun 28, 2014
Angela,

I would go down to the Department of Building and Safety and pull the records on the property. You should be able to find out what the land is zoned for and what type of building permits were issued for the structure. Chances are, someone can help answer your questions down at the Dept of B&S.

Have you talked to your lender about this? Perhaps they have run across something like this before.

I hope it all works out.

Angie Simpson
Coldwell Banker
I guess the important question is;
How much do you want this house?

You can probably get an extension on the Offer to resolve the issue, and
then contact the Standish Planning/Zoning Commission for a Zone Change or Variance.
Are you sure you want to live in a Commercial area?
And where the heck is Standish?

Good luck and may God bless
Was it disclosed it was a commercial lot? You may have legal issues.