Home Selling in Carlisle>Question Details

Jennyme, Home Seller in Carlisle, PA

My house has been on the market for a month, we had one great open house but have had no showings. At all. We are UNDERpriced for comps in the area. ?

Asked by Jennyme, Carlisle, PA Tue Mar 1, 2011

Help? I've cleaned, I've staged and I've curb appealed. But no one's even walked through my door to even look at my house. My agent and I have no idea what's going on.

Answers

15
Hi Jenny,

One place to start is to see why buyers chose the property over your. If the comps are correct they should be close enough for a neighbor to visit and welcome them. Take some doughnuts over and have a quick conversation. As an agent If need info, I ask (with doughnuts or cake.) It will give you some insight as to why yours it's not selling.
Comps sold in this area have sold from anywhere from 170,000 to 130,000. I am priced in the mid 140,000s. And those are the sales from the last 3 months. And we just reduced. I am flummoxed.
It IS overpriced.

No showings? If it is in good condition, staged and attractive - price is the only other issue.

Are the comps SETTLED SALES?

Good Luck !

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
Serving Maryland, D.C. and Northern Virginia
Weather? can cause issues?

Holiday? can cause issues?

Is your home in a family community? If so then most families start search end of March - end July

How are pic's in MLS?

What is price of your home? Higher value less families can qualify for a luxury home

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Typically, I would ask you to ask your agent; however, you've been in contact. So without knowing the house I can't give you a definitive answer. Houses sell for 3 reasons; price, condition and location. They are all a function of each other. The comps may be askewed. Recheck them with your agent. I can tell you it's been a strange market. Doug Heineman
Hi Jennyme. I would ask your agent for an updated CMA and really look to make sure the comps are comparable to what you have to offer. Properties are moving but it seems like the higher priced homes are the ones that are selling now. If you've done all you can to make it appealing, price it correctly, and your agent is promoting it and putting it out on the internet, then you just have to be patient. Things will happen. Make sure it is online on as many sites as it can be. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Steve Darchicourt
George L. Ebener & Associates
139 W. High Street
Carlisle, PA 17013
http://www.carlisleareahomes.com
Thank you for such quick answers. From the research I've done via Trulia.com, NOTHING has sold in Carlisle since Jan. 28, and my house has been on the market since early Feb. I don't know, however, how recently this website updates such things. So maybe it is just truly the house market. Am truly hoping for things to pick up with the warmer weather.

We've lowered the asking price by a few thousand dollars yesterday. So we'll see what happens.
Evaluate in detail, the marketing program for your property. The answer to your question is probably there somewhere.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
Jenny, the market is finally coming out of the 2010 slump... Things are increasingly getting better in terms of showings, and potential buyers. You should see some additional activity in March... My suggestion is to keep hosting open-houses and make sure you have all of the internet advertising options available to you as well!
Web Reference: http://www.todshedlosky.com
It's a simple reflection of supply and demand. The buyers don't think it's priced right. Drop the price incrementally every few weeks. You should see the traffic start to pick up.

Eli Givoni, Director
Short Sale Department, LLC
561-361-1909
info@shortsaledept.com
http://www.shortsaledepartment.com
Serving all 50 states
It is a tough market right now, but I would think you should have some action. Price, Location and Condition..those are the determioning factors. Do you see anything in those 3 areas that is hurting you? I believe price to be the most important thing right now in this market. re-check the comps and see what has sold, not what is on the market.
let me know if you have any other questions or need any help
It is a very difficult time in the real estate business in this area,. Area sales dropped another 2.6% in Jan, which is always a slow time of year. You need to check all comps SOLD within the last 60 days in your area and compare to yours in all aspects, not just amenities and price and then go see all in your area currently for sale that are comparable and compare to yours. (be brutal) There are 3 things that drive the sale of a home location, condition, price. You cannot change the location or physical things like lot size, kitchen size etc. But you can change condition, it must be better than all the others and a lower price. Is the home dated in any way? There ae so many on the market that buyers an be choosey, they don't want to paint, take down wallpaper, change lighting fixtures and carpet when they can buy something done. I had one that we put in $4,000. and got $20,000 more at the sale.
The final piece of the puzzel is portraying it properly on the MLS, Trulia, Craigslist and most importantly REALTOR.com. This is where so many buyers go to look. Do you have GREAT pictures (25) and an an outstanding virtual tour? Is it showcased?
Hope these hints help you. Good Luck
Sherry Portanova
REMAX 1st Advantage 717-649-3268
Jennyme;
Maybe your listing agent can get a few agents from the office to view your home and provide some feedback.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
What kind of feedback was received from your open house...how many area homes have gone into contract since you've been on the market; does your marketing maximize your exposure; have a discussion with your agent, and do review comps once again, make sure your are very competitive with other area homes...
Are there any other properties in your market that are selling? If so, what differentiates those homes from yours? In that question lies your answer.

Good Luck,
Eric