meg877, Home Buyer in Virginia Beach, VA

My home needs drywall in at least 3 places. Also needs cosmetic work. Should I fix things or put it on the market as is?

Asked by meg877, Virginia Beach, VA Mon May 21, 2012

Answers

4
I would suggest that you most definitely make any necessary repairs prior to listing your home for sale. If you put it on the market in poor condition the buyers will drastically reduce their offers on the home knowing that there are probably other deferred maintenance items. If you leave it as it, be prepared to sell as a much reduced list price.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Nelene Gibbs Real Estate
Real Estate Investment Advisors
222 Central Park Ave Suite 1010
Va Beach, Va 23462
757 672-3232
Fax Toll Free: 1 888-402-1666
mail to: nelene@nelenegibbs.com
http://www.NeleneGibbs.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 21, 2012
I'd talk with some local agents and get their "take" on it, but generally, in the markets where I work, I recommend any maintenance items are done, including any half done projects. "Improvements" are another deal entirely - if you're talking about finishing and unfinished space then you want to make sure any money you put into the project you get back out when you sell.
Well this is very hard for us here to answer without knowing the house, its lovation, size and general market value, and the type of homes in the neighborhood....
It just all depends...

Is the value not in the house but in the land a different answer will come your way.

How much money do you owe on the property, do you need to get rid of it? that would create another answer....

As is will attract only a certain group of buyers, those who want to fix remodel for their own use or to resell, and yes they want to buy for less as they know they will have to fix items....

If your house in general is in good condition, just needs a few cosmetical changes then you probably should do it, it is always a good idea to freshly paint and fix and repair to make a home
look great...... but only a local experience Realtor Broker can give you the best advice ......

If you need a referral for a broker in your area let us know.
Good Luck
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com - Any real estate questions (buying, selling or investing)? E-mail me a get a detailed response ASAP no obligation just great information. :)
As Nelene said below, you need to make all repairs prior to listing your home for sale. Trying to sell your property AS-IS, will only create concern on the buyer's part and will not attract the type of buyer that you will want to sell to, such as an investor. They will want to purchase your home at a considerably lower price than a homeowner that will be living in the house and will be looking for a home and not a "deal". I would also suggest having a home inspection performed BEFORE you list so that you find most of the problems before you put the house on the market as that will cause you to have less stress during the selling process. Nothing is worse for a seller than getting a "surprise" of a long list of necessary repairs in order to get to closing. It is better to attack it upfront and then you have the confidence to market your home and know that an inspection won't be a huge problem.

Tina Beasley
Associate Broker, ASP
Envision Real Estate, LC
804-972-9927