Home Selling in Ashmore>Question Details

Jean, Home Seller in Ashmore, IL

My hardwood floors are damaged and do not look nice. I am in a hurry to sell---should I carpet throghout or

Asked by Jean, Ashmore, IL Thu Nov 6, 2008

go ahead and show as they are and possibly offer a flooring allowance?

Answers

7
Jean that would depend on your current market and price point of your home. Hardwoods are a huge selling point. I would spend the money to refinish the hardwoods rather than spend the money on carpet. First you need to find out if they can be refinished, if so go for it. Your house will be a show place when you are done... warning it may make you want to paint or stay when finished. Remember you have alot of competition and Buyers want the best with little no effort on their end. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 6, 2008
Jean,

Put yourself in the buyers shoes. Which sinerio would impress you the most?

We have had hardwood floors for a long time and repaired and refinished their surfaces. Refinishing these floors can make them look like new. Our suggestion is to get a flooring professional(someone that does refinishing) to get their opinon on the best course of action for you.

But the bottom line is, there is real importance in making your home look its best. Keeping this in mind will help you accomplish what you are tryin to accomplish.
Jean
Remember that old adage, "You only have one chance to make a first impression"?

I would suggest that you have a Realtor that is an expert in the area evaluate your entire property. They know what is selling, what buyers want, and what they are willing to overlook. Many times when a property is prepared for sale the right advice can save you thousands of dollars. The wrong advice can cost you thousands.

With all due respect to the posts so far, none of them have seen your property. The Realtor that provides you with advice needs to know your market values and trends, your property in detail, and your personal situation.

I would be happy to refer you to a top Realtor that can evaluate your situation and provide you with options, then you decide what you need to do to get the most cash out.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hi Jean-
Your question depends on how much of a credit you are willing to negotiate.
Honestly, you can have the floors corrected, cheaper than offering a credit. But, if you don't have the time to correct the floors, expect really low offers!

Please feel free to contact me directly, if you'd like to discuss this further.
Dear Jean,
This is a no brainer, Hardwood Flrs. are the number one buyer requirement to have . Spend the money to refinish them now not later as a buyer credit. You and everyone else needs to out shine your compettion when trying to sell your home. 90 % of the buyers want move on condition anymore in the USA not just locally.
Don Yosef Marcus GRI,ABR,CCREC]
CENTURY 21 MB
CHICAGO & NORTHBROOK
22 yrs of out standing service & counting
Jean,

Showings are very important in this tuff market. Make every showing count and don't leave any excuses for the buyer to make.

I would refinish the hardwood floors and make it look nice. It may actually be cheaper, "BUT" understand...Refinishing your floors is a maintance issue. It's not going to add value to your home.
I would not spend any money as you a buyer may only want hardwood floors and youwould have wasted your money, offer a flooring allowance or price it right and wait for the buer to mention if it is an issue for them, if you are offering an allowance you may bring attention to something that isnt a big deal for someone. You should have your listing agent do a current brokers price oppinion so you can see what similar homes are selling for in your area. This way you can porice your home to sell. Good luck with your sale.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com