Newtoarea2, Home Buyer in Bloomfield Hills, MI

My buyer's agent told me he's an expert in the area yet offers no more than just showing me houses I look up on trulia. Can I still replace?

Asked by Newtoarea2, Bloomfield Hills, MI Mon Dec 5, 2011

him?

Answers

12
Newtoarea,
I urge you to make a decision regarding this agent. Once they write an offer, they are your agent on that transaction. If you don't have confidence in their skills and trust they are highly competent, get an agent who is.
Think about it this way, if you are spending $500,000 for your next house, would you hand that to this agent in a briefcase full of cash and trust them to take excellent care of it, keep it overnight or for a few days while you are away? If not, why trust this agent with what you will be spending that much money on?
There are lots of very nice agents, but not all "nice" agents are great agents. Look at Find a Pro up above, read several of the agents in your areas answers, their blogs. Check out their websites and interview them.
Update:

No paper contract. Agent is nice but I feel, ineffective. As such, I have seen some houses on my own thru Open Houses and directly contacting listing agents.

Agent showed me a house (again,my own search thru Trulia) & thinking about bidding,but afraid that I may be bidding in an area I am not familiar with. My own info about the area is thru the internet.

If I decide to bid using the same Agent, is there a point where I can no longer replace him (i.e., if bid gets rejected, can I use a different agent to bid on the SAME house)?
Great answers submitted already.
It is such a shame to hear of your disappointment when the solution is so easy.

I am curious and need to ask, "Did this agent provide you access to the local MLS to allow you the benefit of the most accurate and timely data available?
Absolutely, if you are working with a passive agent that only contacts you when you find homes that you request to see and there is no communication ask for another buyers agent to represent you by speaking to the office manager. If you feel uncomfortable doing that just have a heart to heart talk with your agent and tell them how you feel and what you need from them to continue a working relationship. There may be some miscommunication , or it could be that the agent doesn't want to seem to pushy .
You can always cancel an agreement with an agent, you just have to read the language in it to see if there are any repercussions. Everything in there should be mutually agreed upon before signing. If you didn't sign any agreement then don't worry about it. Maybe you should have a sit down talk with your agent to find out why they aren 't giving you the proper attention. Maybe they fear your not that motivated? It could be a hundred different scenarios, only you and your agent can work through this, or not.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Many good answers here but the bottom line with any contract comes a fiduciary and ethical responsibility. If you have an agency agreement, I would ask the agent first to release you. If that does not work, than go to the Broker/Manager and make your request. If you need a good buye's agent in your area, I can definitely assist you.

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
CARTUS & SIRVA Certified Relocation Specialist
Previews Luxury Home Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x-103
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
http://www.FrankDolski.Com
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.Com
If you are under contract and are not happy with the service, then approach the Realtor and request to be let out of the buyers agency contract. If the Realtor says no then you can approach their broker. If I had an unhappy client under contract and they requested to be released, I would immediately release them. It seems as if you are very proactive in searching for homes. Feel free to look at my free web site below. These listings are up to date. Happy House Hunting , Steve
Web Reference: http://www.michiganhome.net
Newtoarea2,
Showing home is probably the least technical part of what we do. Some agents that are well connected to an area may be aware of "pocket listings,” homes that are not technically on the market but either will be soon or would sell under the right circumstances. Our job is to show homes, but more importantly know the market, the contracts and how to protect our buyers and negotiate with sellers.
Showing homes may be the most obvious thing we do, but the best agents do their most important work later in the transaction.
If you don't have confidence in your agent and have not signed a buyer's agency agreement you are likely free to select another agent. Interview a few and select one who puts your needs first and will do a great job representing you.
Good Evening,

The best deals are being snapped-up almost immediately around town these days--without a diligent and knowledgeable Realtor, any buyer is in for a potentially frustrating battle. An agent needs to be proactive and assertive; if you haven't addressed your concerns with your agent do so and tell them to pick up the pace or get left behind. If you have addressed these concerns and you are not bound by a Buyer's contract that specifies your relationship with that agent, there are obviously some ready, willing and able professionals out here waiting for your call (myself included). If you are under contract, refer to the document and review the terms of the relationship and expiration date of contract (it has to have one). Your immediate options should be spelled out there in black and white. Consult legal coucil if the contract isn't clear. Good luck!

Jay M. Jones, Realtor
Max Broock, Birmingham
248.568.4947
RealtorJay@sbcglobal.net
Web Reference: http://www.MyRealtorJay.com
Do you have an agreement with him on paper? If not contact me and I will give you full service, with whatever your looking for.

Mile Stawizky
(248) 980-4406
findahomemike@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://moveinnow.org
Hi New!!

If you are under contract with the agent you may need to speak with his broker if you are dissatisfied with his services. If you are not under contract you are able to work with any agent you wish to.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com
Having an agent you feel comfortable with and trust is important. If you are in contract with your agent then you need to either let him know how he is not meeting your expectations and try to resolve the conflict or ask him to end the contract. Good luck with your decision and your buying process. - Lori Fisher, Coldwell Banker - Rochester