Steve Lang, Home Seller in Morganville, NJ

My bathrooms were remodeled about 10 yrs ago with Formica vanities. Will installing granite tops significantly improve the marketability of my house?

Asked by Steve Lang, Morganville, NJ Sun Jan 15, 2012

I live in the Morganville section of Marlboro and just installed granite kitchen counter tops. The bathroom vanities are contemporary, have built-in hampers, and are in excellent condition. The installer is of the opinion that I need to upgrade the bathroom vanities to granite in order to be competitive. Is he right?

Answers

15
Hi Steve, I particularly like John's final comment that the negotiation will likely cost more than the install --- I agree. So often improvements like this cost much less than the negotation around them, or the price reduction to overcome them.

You may not recoup the money you spend BUT it may be the difference between your home selling and not. In a better market, buyers would overlook many things - today not so much, they are picky, because they can be.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
I don't know, though. With some major repairs, I'd agree with you (like wood flooring or bathroom renovation). But it sounds like the bathroom vanities are already new. I don't think granite countertops are worth the pain and cost of installing them when you already have an up-to-date bathroom. Just my opinion.
Jenn | http://buildersdiscountwarehouse.com.au/products
Flag Mon Nov 17, 2014
" I don't expect to get any return on my investment. I'm trying to assess what I need to do to be competitive with houses in an affluent community such as Marlboro. Will potential buyers pass on my house in favor of houses with granite bathroom vanities? Would I be advised to match the competition, so to speak? Or, would it make more sense to simply negotiate on price?"

Steve, Update the vanities. Yes it WILL make a difference to people looking at your home..

The difference is the big "sigh" when the walk into the bath versus the .. “WOW.. it’s done. I do not have to do too much” when the buyer reviews the house. Is it going to be paid for.. Maybe, maybe not.. But replacing the vanities will help the sale of your house in this market..

The negotiation would probably cost more than the install... Think about it.

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
JSacktig@orange key realty.com
Just a stones throw from Marlboro.. :)
Thank you to all who have answered. I don't expect to get any return on my investment. I'm trying to assess what I need to do to be competitive with houses in an affluent community such as Marlboro.

Will potential buyers pass on my house in favor of houses with granite bathroom vanities? Would I be advised to match the competition, so to speak? Or, would it make more sense to simply negotiate on price?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 21, 2012
You should approach all home improvement projects with the question "How much delight will *I* get from this upgrade?" First and foremost, you should appreciate the item you choose to upgrade. If you're not crazy about granite in the bathroom -- and it sounds like it's not a priority for you -- then don't worry about it. I agree that the granite in the kitchen has excellent resale value (plus it allows you to roll out dough sooo easily...). For the bathroom? Not so much. Good luck.
Some people think formica is out and granite is in But my experience in listing recently is that different people like different things. Concrete seems to be in now so what is everyone going to do? Rip out the pricey granite and install this? Let the new buyer make the decision and just decrease the selling costs a little ...seems more practical.
Formica is out, granite is in. And as those have previously stated, don't expect a 100% return on your investment in the granite . . . keep in mind that you have lived in the home and not upgraded . . . so consider this a rennovation that is long overdue.

Francesca Patrizio, ePro, SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
Watch HGTV - most clients like "move in" ready homes . . . . you can redo a bath quite inexpensive but we would not want you to put the granite on top of the contemporary vanities, that would be a waste of money. We would recommend replacing the vanities and counters or just leave it alone. The best thing would be to have a few agents in your home for their opinion. We work with buyers all the time and know what they are looking for! Good luck! Call us for our opinion, we work with a home stager who can also give you his input!
Yes. You should update your bathrooms unless you are willing to sell for less money.
Dear Steve,
Price is what will sell your home in this market. It won't hurt to have the features and upgrades that many buyers are asking for these days. Rather then speak to the contractor about what will sell your home, please do speak to a few really good agents in your neighborhood. We work in home sales 24/7 and we know what you should do and not do in order to sell.
Best!
Steve,

Only being on the market with a realtor who truly obtains feedback from both the agent's perspecive and his/her clinet will answer that question (and haering the same ting over and over again will reveal the truth) OR in the alternative if the realtor who compares your home to others determines that is essential, then u must oblige despite my notion of minimizing your costs as what u may see as great a buyer may see as mediocre . . . we all have different perceptions of life. It's just a realtor's call based on knowledge and expereince.

Please pardon any typos, my eys aren'ts that great!

Francesca

Francesca
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Allo I can offer as an opinion here is that Granite countertops cannot hurt your chances to sell!!
Steve,

Most additions/rennovations to a home nets aproximtaely 60% return as per the National Homebulders Association. I always advise my clients NOT to make beau coup rennovations to their home since (1) the return is not 100% and (2) what you may feel is a great rennovation, the new buyer may not like, therefore, they will tear up the rennovation or see it as negative in negotiations, hence throwing good money after bad.

Having said that, as an agent, I always solicit feedback from all showings from both the agent and the buyer to determine if any changes need to be made. If the feedback is negative re the baths, THEN and only then I will recommend that changes be made.

As for the salesman advising you that it would be best, well in my view, he's just looking for another sale. An agent is better able to advise you as to what to do.

Hope this helps.

Francxesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate, ePro, SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE. com
732.606.2931
If you are staying then I would do what you want to enjoy your home. I waited to do my upgrade right before I moved and wished I had gone ahead and done it sooner and enjoyed it.

If you are selling, then most everyone today expects stone in the bathroom and kitchens If will definitely make you stand out in the market with the upgrade..
Steve - I think Anna has you on the right track. Get an opinion from a couple local Realtors and get there professional opinion in a CMA. Granite won't hurt the overall appeal and most likely it will be an upgrade but the question will be what is the return on investment.

If you think it is time for an upgrade and it will be something you personally enjoy regardless of resale then I say go for it.

Take care,

Trevor
If you are looking to sell in the near future, consider inviting a few local agents from different realty companies, ask for a cma, comparative market analysis; ask opinions regarding any necessary renovations, etc., then go from there; or if the renovations will make the home more enjoyable to you, why not consider the consider the idea.