Elizabeth, Home Seller in The Woodlands, TX

My appriasal value came in at what I have my house listed for. Is this good or bad as the seller?

Asked by Elizabeth, The Woodlands, TX Fri Apr 16, 2010

I have my house listed for what I want for it, a very fair value too! I think the potiential buyers are going to offer low but my listed price is the same as appriasal value. Can I negotiate with that?

Answers

3
Sounds like you're referring to the County Appraisal District that appraises properties in April of every year. If so, these values have been reduced in some areas over last years' appraisal values. This doesn't necessarily mean that your house will sell for this amount. The market value of a property is determined by what has sold in the neighborhood in the last 6 months as well as the condition, features of the property and other criteria as determined the the designated Appraiser selected by the lender/broker for the buyer . Any offer is negotiable. Your Realtor should be advising you as such. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.amandahomes.com
The appraisal supports your asking price so on that note it's a good thing. You could use the appraisal to support your side during the negotiations. It could also support the buyers loan.

This does however make no guarantee that that is the price you will receive when it sells, nor should you expect the offers to come in at that price. Buyers will pay what buyers think the house is worth to them. No matter what the appraisal is, the offers could still come in low.
Actually this is good. It substantiates the value of your property and validates the sales price all in one fell swoop.

Now just think, if the appraisal had come in higher you would be thinking you "are leaving money on the table". If it came in low you would be lowering the price. Both situations would have caused a lot of grief for somebody.

In this case the appraiser did you a favor. I do not always agree with appraisers "rubber stamping" the appraisal to meet a contract price but if it is a fair deal for both parties then you are all better off in the long run.