Jenny, Home Seller in Santa Claria

My agent has a key lock box at my property but is never present to show the home. We have numerous people

Asked by Jenny, Santa Claria Fri Mar 14, 2008

stop by to look while we were at work. The other day two agents stopped by and we happened to be home, it was very akward as we did not get a head's up from her at all that someone would be coming and we were in the middle of spring cleaning the home. In addition another buyer showed up with his agent and children. The children were going through all our kids toys and neither the parents or agent said anything! This was happenind while we were in the home, now I'm unconfortable with people having access while we are not there. Is it common practice for your agent to just give your key combo to any agent and their buyers without being there to show the property?

Answers

32
Interestingly enough, those protesting the loudest seem to be Kevin & Jovana. I haven't seen any "excited" or "overly emotional" responses. Merely differences of opinion. All of them have recognized your right to your opinion, and yet, you can't seem to manage to recognize that we too, might have a point.

I can see why you need/want to accompany all showings. And that's great. In our area, however, unless you're talking about a higher-end property, accompanying showings is very rare, and we've had very few problems. No stolen items, no damaged property, and oddly enough... even without the listing agent there to point out all the wonderful aspects of the home, we have managed to sell homes in our area for many decades.

The electronic lock box system may not be foolproof (and lord knows there are plenty of fools in our industry), but it is a darn good system and works very well. Maybe it's possible, just maybe that using the lockbox system, outside of your real estate practice, has it's place and isn't always "lazy or stupid".

Additionally, it's okay to diasgree, in public as long as it's polite and professional, and the only thing I've seen on this thread that wasn't polite and professional was the use of the terms "lazy & stupid".
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Hello Jen:

I noted that part of my answers is quoted by you about what I heard that some buyer agents will not show a house if they need to make an appointment. Unfortunately, when things are taking out of context, then it can be misinterpreted, such is this case.

And, Kevin, I am surprised that you would copy and paste some body's private email to you online (I assume you received Jen's permission?) and not ask me to explain, certainly not how I would have conducted my business.

I do want to clarify - I have never refused to show a property when an agent and/or a potential buyer calls me and ask me if I can help, However, if you read my posting carefully, that is not the norm in Marin. It has nothing to do with laziness, just how customary things are run. There are listings where the sellers require appointments, and that's how it will be conducted. I do let my sellers know that they may lose some showings by requiring that, if they are fine with it, that's how that house will be shown.

You will be surprised at how a buyer wants to see a house right there and then and sometimes an agent did not think of a certain home or was not able to get an answer from the seller, and they will be out looking at a house that afternoon. We have buyers agent call the house while they stand in front the house (they are driving around and see the for sale sign, not planned). Do you want your seller to miss that opportunity because the listing agent might not be around?

One of my clients who sold her house in Marin and moved to Laos Angles last Thanksgiving had a window of two days (one on each end of a certain week when she was coming in and out of town) to look for a house - she was from a foreign country, coming to visit the family and buying a home for her kids.

They planned to see certain homes, but one of the listing agent just had a surgery, could not show the house during either of those two days. The buyer agent showed the house to my client without the listing agent's presence.

Guess what, that;s the house she bought. All in two days. One day to see, came back the next week to review.

if they insisted on seeing the house with listing agent's presence, the house would not have been shown and not sold; at least , not so fast and not to her. It was a hassle-free sale from what I heard.

So take your pick during a buyers market and if I don't pass judgement on you, please do not do that to me, especially if you don't know all the situation.

Sylvia .
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Novato, CA
Kevin,

That is an understandable email and not surprising. Not everyone is educated on how the process works and I would come to the same conclusion.

In Southern Claifornia you are not only the minority your are the microscopic minorty. Tens of thousand of homes are sold each year in Southern California alone under the lockbox system and this has been going on since even before I bought my first home in 1986. Nothing new here. When I bought my second home in 1994, My agent took me to dozen of occupied homes through the lockbox system without the listing agent present. There is a system and it works.

The issue of LAZY? Ha now that is a laugh. I have shown as many as 20 homes in one day, want to come along for that ride and then at the end of the day define LAZY?

The point of contention is that there is a system, it is used all over the country everyday, you disagree with that system and that is okay for you to disagree. Several of us here on the post are just pointing out how things are done and that it is not as problematic as you suggest, simple disagreement on proceedure.
In Marin, our custom is not to have the listing agent be present at showings.

First, we educate our clients so that they know to lock all their valuables and certain medicines away. This is true whether it is for buyer agent showing the home or for when the listing agent is holding open house - we do not follow prospects around the house.

Our lock box key needs to be sync with the server on a daily basis, which ensures the agent who possesses the lock box key is current with MAR. We also need to enter a password in order to open the lock on top of the daily sync. All buyers will be accompanied by their agents.

Another practical reason is the market. Because there are a lot of houses on the market, and the fact that this is a buyer's market, we encourage our sellers to be flexible concerning showing instructions.

I have heard of instances where the buyers agent will not bother to show a house if they have to make an appointment to show the house, not to mention if they have to wait until it's convenient time for the seller or the listing agent just to make sure they are around. Sometimes the buyers are only in town for a certain period of time.

As competitive as the market is, I think the sellers will need to weight certain things to decide what they want to do.

I believe most agents are responsible - they have to be on the receiving end also - I have not had heard complaints about showings so far - other than when agents don't show up after they called asking to show.

Sylvia .
I can think of many reasons why it could be considered "stupid" for a seller not to have a lockbox on their property, whether it is occupied or not. It's a buyers market right now and I have many clients who have more properties to see than there is time to see them all. Many people think that as buyers agents we like to prioritize which properties we show by how much commission we will be paid if they sell. I can tell you that I have two major criteria I use to prioritize appointments. #1 - How well does the house meet my clients' needs. #2 - How easy is it to show. #2 is especially important if I am scheduling a day full of showings. My appointments need to be flexible to allow my clients to take their time in a home they really like and speed through the ones they don't. If I have to schedule an appointment that is showing "by lister only", and I have enough other properties to show, guess what I am not showing? I also have a lot of investors that like to come into town and cruise though 10 or 15 properties in one day. They will always say "you pick whichever properties will be the easiest for us". For these people it is lockbox only. Bottom line is, as a seller you should never miss an opportunity to show your home to a potential buyer.

Many buyers are also turned off by having a house "sold" to them by the listing agent. They want to be able to talk openly with their own agent and not have to walk around the house whispering about what they like or don't like, or worse, how much they would or wouldn't spend. Having the listing agent hanging around is almost as bad as when the sellers stay home themselves. Putting your home on the market is definitely an inconvenience but the more convenient you make it for everyone else involved, the quicker you will get it sold and the less time you will have to deal with the inconvenience.
Web Reference: http://www.wnyhomevoice.com
We don't think it is ever appropriate to have an occupied home on lockbox. It is lazy. And stupid.
________________________

Things are done differently in different regions of the country, and I'm certain that Kevin & Jovana didn't mean to state that a different way of doing things is "lazy & stupid".

I can give you dozens or reasons why lockboxes make sense & none of them involve laziness or stupidity.

I can see the other side of the coin too and why an agent might think "accompanied" showings are a good idea, and would never suggest that their way of doing things was "lazy or stupid", simply because I don't do it that way.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
One last note that was not mentioned in this discussion. The trade area that Kevin works in uses the General Electric Supra iBox. The software on these boxes allows for some very flexible programing. The weekday times can be set, Saturday Times and Sunday Times. as well.

If you really want to crank down on who gets in, there is a CBS setting. The Call Before Showing (CBS) setting requires the buyer's agent to call the Listing agent for an additional code to open the box. Using the CBS you could presscreen the agent calling and determine if you are comfortable enough to give out the CBS. Additionally you know right then and there who is going in and at what time. You can even tell the agent to make sure that their client's kids do not play with the toys in the house.

There is a note section in the software so a note will pop up right after the box is opened and you can type in any important notices for the agent. Whether this is a perfect system is really not the point, however it is not the wild west where anything goes on a listing just because the list agent is not at every showing.
If my clients expect me to be at every showing, I explain to them that if I can, I will, however I have other homes to show also, and i may be with customers. The way we work is tthe agents call us or our office to request a showing, then we call the client and tell them what time the agent is coming. I instruct my clients to turn on all the lights and either ask them to leave, or I have the agent call 15 minutes before and let them know they're on the way. It's important when a potential buyer come into the home, that they feel as if they are entering 'their" house. It's important that they don't feel they are going to socialize with someone in THEIR house. Buyers have to be able to imagine the house as their own, and give feedback and ask questions freely. If they have a question their agent can't answer, it's a perfect opportunity form the agent to ask us and get back to them and talk more about the house.

Just FYI, last week I took a buyer out. It was my first time with them, and their first time seeing houses. One of the homes I wanted to schedule could not be shown, because the agent had to be present, and she couldn't show it at all that day. My buyer made an offer on one of the homes I was able to get them into, and they are now in contract. This is a first contact with a buyer to contract in one week. I wonder how the homeowner whose house I couldn't get into would feel if they knew I wanted to show it and couldn't get it?
I guess I should never go on vacation or my kid's soccer game. Under your proposal, I would not be able to do anything but be on call at a moment's notice to show my listing. Life happens, I need to be out networking socially to find buyers for my listing rather than sitting around to let other Realtors in. If a buyer (who already has an Agent) needs to see my listing, it should not be dependent on my schedule.

I properly prepare my clients for this procedure. You are mis-representing how the process works. The Lockbox system in our trade area ( and we both work the same "regoinal" trade area as members of Socal MLS) is not open to just anyone. You need to hold a valid DRE license, you need to abide by a code of Ethics. There is accountability. The Supra iBox system requires your key to be authorized daily to access the boxes; so the MLS can shut you down promptly if you misbehave. If you are running around putting dial combo boxes on your listing then yes I agree your should be at every showing. Otherwise I refuse to make a property difficult to see when 99% of the competting listings are 100 times more flexible than yours.

Education and Preparation of your clients really make a difference.

Kevin if you really feel this is the way to sell a listing..........more power to you. I have been able to make the system work as it is designed.
Jenny
I am a relatively local Realtor and would like to offer a couple of suggestions.
You are selling your home in a buyer's market, so one of the keys to getting a home sold is what we call "accessibility". Putting a lock box on a listing makes it accessible. When you listed your home you probably sign an authorization to use the lock box. Did you discuss your specifc parameters?

I was trying to show a listing to a client. No lock box, No showings on weekends. No showings during the evening. Only during the week from 9am - 5pm Monday through Friday. That property is a short sale!

So my suggestion would be to ask your Realtor to tell you what options you have:
1. They can be required to call first. Your cell at work, just to let you know they are showing.
2. You can ask for one, two, three hours notice.
3. You can restrict the showing ours (only between 9am and 5pm)
4. Appointment only with listing agent...probabaly the most restrictive.

If your home is priced right and marketed correctly you should have a lot of showing activity during the first two or three weeks on the market. Your goal is to get the home sold during the first 30 days, because statistics show homes that sell in the first 30 days sell closest to asking price.

The longer a home sits, the bigger the gap between selling and asking price. So being more accommodating earlier in the listing period is a very wise decision.

Hope this is helpful. Know that with electronic lock boxes the Realtor knows who was in your home, and for how long. You should also ask for showing feedback from all Realtors that show your home. I suggest reviewing that feedback one a week, with your weekly market update.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
"I'm just not sure as a seller that I would choose an agent who takes this stance over an agent who prefers to be at a showing for the many good reasons I put forth before."

I think, as a potential seller, that this statement is of concern to someone who may be just getting started to sell. It's pretty clear that there are regional variations in what is customary. If a seller is in an area where it is common for occupied homes to have a lockbox and for listing agents *not* to be present during showings, and they read the above statement - what are they going to think when they look for an agent and the agents tell them that they should be using a lockbox? "These agents are all slackers!" When really it's just a matter of the common practice in that area. They may even go so far as to ponder "Well, if all of these agents are slackers, maybe I'll just list my home by owner."

I know that when it's time for me to put my home on the market, our agent (who was our buyer's agent eight years ago and is truly awesome) and I (and DH) will work together and do what it takes to get our house sold. I suspect that a lockbox will be a part of the picture. Fortunately, I know that he's neither lazy or stupid (or we wouldn't be going back to him), and will use all of his resources to get our home sold at a good price.
I see, so you're not willing to agree that sometimes things are done differently "regionally"... and you stand by the statement that 50%, or more, of the agents in the united states are either Lazy, Stupid or both.

If we're not doing it your way, we're doing it wrong.

Nice, very nice.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
What you are experiencing is not uncommon. A really good agent would have taken the time to explain (during the time you listed your home )how the process works and what to expect in detail.

The lockbox system we use in your area is computerized, it opens with my palm treo phone and I can program just about every aspect of that lockbox with the software on my phone. Whenever an agent logs into the lockbox, the system takes the agent's name, time and date. I am notified by email when any of my boxes have been accessed and who accessed them. If you agent is not using an ibox and uses the old school combination dail box, you have problems that would take too long to address in this forum.

When I list a home I take the time to explain this entire process, how showings occur, what to expect and what to do to keep the weird stuff to minimum (like kids playing with toys). I also explain (in detail) the procees of accetping an offer, all the action items that occur during that process, the time frames and the esrcow process. If your agent has not done this, then you are at a disadvantage.

I am not here to rake your agent over the coals, but there are plenty of agents such as myself that take this profession very seriously. I take great concern when my clients put their biggest asset in my trust and care.

The lockbox system is very good when used in the way it was intended. It is essential in this market that you have a supra ibox and that you make the times available to see your property as flexible as possible.

I am sorry you are having a bad experience in selling your home.
If you agent is not using an ibox and uses the old school combination dail box, you have problems that would take too long to address in this forum.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Ted! I needed a laugh today :)
As most people have stated, it really depends on the area. Some areas, like Las Vegas, almost exclusively use lock boxes. Personally, I really am against this idea. I, or my assistant, is personally present at EACH AND EVERY showing. After all, it is my job to sell the home, so it only makes sense that I be there to turn on all the lights and guide the buyer and their agent through, pointing out all of the great features that they might not be aware of or might not be noticeable. My job is to represent my client's home and to do my best to sell that home, and I take that very seriously- as, I believe, all real estate professionals should.

If you are uncomfortable with having the lockbox showings, let your agent know that you really prefer them to personally show the property from now on. If they refuse, find an agent who is willing to cater to your requests- it is your right to be represented by a real professional.
Jenny,
I'm not familiar with you area's protocols regarding showings. That said however, when I list a home the owners are always called before a showing takes place to alert them. Some Client's homes can only be shown if we contact them, others allow the home to be shown as long as a message is left on their cell phone or answering machine. No one should ever appear without an appointment! Agents who allow their client's children to run loose are simply not good agents. I would suggest that you contact your listing agent and ask that you be contacted on your cell phone before all showings.
It is also common practice in San Mateo County for showings to be unaccompanied by the seller's agent. It may or may not be common practice in your area. Not having a lock box can affect the saleability of your property, again, depending on what is expected practice in your market. It is not, however, acceptable for people to show up unannounced. You really need to have a conversation with your agent about that.

One option that I give to clients is to leave the lock box loose so that if you are home, you can take it inside with you. You must remember to put it outside when you leave, but it insures your privacy while you're home. I also advise clients not to allow anyone - and I mean anyone - into the property unless advanced notice has been given; this is a safety issue, especially with small children in the home.

As a precaution you should remove all personal documents, checkbooks, passports, jewelry, prescription drugs, etc from the home. Realtors should be doing our best to keep control of people, but it's not always possible. So protect yourself.
Resistance to change is futile!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 15, 2008
Also, it is part of an agent's job to help SELL the home... which means being present at a showing to turn on all the lights, open the drapes, make sure the house smells good, (more important than many people think) give the potential buyer a tour, point out all the good things about the house,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How many listings do you folks have?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 15, 2008
Would you prefer things to be awkward or to sell your house? Who cares if you're in the middle of spring cleaning. Honestly, you should have done that before placing your house on the market. I'm sorry someone came through your house and didn't supervise their children. But, that's an issue with that buyer and not with most, I believe. The suggestion to lock up all valuables is a must. But, my parents sold their house on Christmas morning. A couple was on their way back home (to Europe) and happened to notice the for sale sign. They asked the taxi driver to stop, rang the doorbell, and we let them in. They purchased. In short, be flexible. It's hard, but it can pay off. And, no, you shouldn't let people into your house if you've small children and are alone. I'm not advocating abandoning common sense. Just realize that sometimes people only have that one chance to view your home. I've purchased many houses that I've driven by, because sometimes my online searches don't find them. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 14, 2008
Hi Jenny,

Although it is never enjoyable to be surprised by potential buyers who want to view your home, think of the alternative. That is, no one showing your home. Talk to your agent and ask them why you are not getting calls in advance. Does the listing have your phone number and a note that says "call at least 1 hour prior to showing"? Further, I am sure you chose a Realtor, who Richard pointed out, would be working with you to ensure that you are not being troubled outside of what you should expect. Truly, selling a home is an inconvience on your life, but one that is necessary. One more thing, I would suggest that you do not want your agent present for viewings when the buyer and his viewers are looking for at your home. So, communication is the reason many buyers or sellers are dissatisfied with their agent. Both you and your agent should work on having a better relationship, thus ensuring a more pleasant experience.
Web Reference: http://lancegoodwin.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 14, 2008
In our area, it's not uncommon for "unaccompanied" showings. And yes, agents are given the combination to the lock box, but they are not sent "at random", without notifying YOU, the seller, as to when they will be arriving. If you've arranged with your agent that you will be notified of all showings, it's inexcusable for agents to be showing up unannounced.

Let your agent know of your unhappiness with this breach, and let him know that all future showings MUST be confirmed with you, prior to handing out the combination.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 14, 2008
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Your agent should be letting you know ahead of time when someone is showing up to look at your home I'd find a different sales agent to list my home with
Lock Boxes do hlep sell a home faster. However your agent should be providing you a list of all request and the time they will be at the property at least 1hr notice.. Your agent should be using the blue supra box on your property as well if she is not going to be there. The blue supra box is the best way to keep the agents that pass the code out to their buyers from doing that. And if anything goes missing or broken the blue supra box keeps a reoprt of all agent who have opened the box. If you are worried than request the agent to use the blue supra box for your peace of mind.

We are all professionals lets try to act like it. Calling each other Stupid and lazy makes us look bad... besides this is a public forum and by calling each other names it only makes you the person doing it look bad... Think before you speak...
Web Reference: http://www.SLeonRealtor.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 7, 2011
Hi Jenny,
It looks like you have had plenty of answers from agent so far, but none from a Santa Clarita Agent. When I take a listing it is my goal to address these issues that you have, showing instructions. I do not leave my clients home until we have a clear understanding about other agents showing instructions. After retiring from LAPD I bring an additional set of views when it comes to homeowner safety and advice. I ask my homeowners what their needs are, if there are any restrictions, such as day sleepers, animals, small children, single females who live at the home alone etc... I Listen and then evaluate what the show instructions will be in the MLS to the other agents. The show instructions are never made available to the public for safety reasons. If you request a 1, 2 , 3 hour advanced notice then I clearly state that the agents Shall call in advance. Also, letting my clients know to remove all valuables and even prescription medications from public access, yes even medication, there is a problem with homeowners missing their prescriptions. This all boils down to Agent control period. The agent that is showing the home must have their clients under control and give courtesy to the homeowner and their contents, basically act as though they are guests in your home, don't act like you are entitled to do what you please because you have access to someone elses home. Now keep in mind agents drive their clients around and will pull infront of a property and just knock on your door without warning. You as a seller have every right to deny an agent from showing your home, simply let them know the house is unavailabe for showing at that time, tell them to call back and schedule an appoinment, you have every right to do that. I have other valuable points that I share with my clients to ensure a smooth, happy, safe transaction. You Jenny should demand quality service from your agent. Your agent can also put hours of restriction on that lockbox so no one can enter during specific hours. If you have any questions please do let me know.

Jennifer Ricco CDPE,e-PRO,WCR, Retired LAPD
Keller Williams VIP Properties
661.803.2093 cell
Jennifer@JenniferRicco.com http://www.SantaClaritaCertifiedDistressedPropertyExperts.com
Quality Consulting Through Continuous Improvement
I always accompany all showings for all of my listings as I am most familiar with the home .
~~~~~~

I do not allow agents or sellers to be in a home when I show it. Too many really bad experiences with that. Naturally I explain it more diplomatically, but it's very difficult for buyers to be open and honest with a homeowner or an agent (other than the one they came with) hovering around and/or pointing out features. If there are many many upgrades that are not obvious, leave a highlight sheet at the house for the homeowner to leave out when it's shown.
I don't blame you for being annoyed by this. Let me assure you that it is not the norm for buyers with agents to touch your personal belongings nor to bring children along to view property. Usually your agent will show your home during Open House. Your agent can also make arrangements to bring buyers and agents "by appointment". If you would prefer this arrangement, Im sure your Agent will accomodate you
I must say, however, it does cause some problems for the Buyer Agents, when they would like to see a property and cannot get an appointment to get in. It could cause a potential lost sale. At the very least, the buyer agent should call the listing agent to let them know they are coming by to see the property and your agent should then inform you.
I am not sure what state you are in or what your listing contract looks like. I am a realtor in Massachusetts and if we are going to put a lockbox on a property we need to get the Seller's authorization to do so. If you want your agent to accompany showings then why have a lockbox at all? I happen to agree with you as I would also be uncomfortable with strangers walking through my home. I always accompany all showings for all of my listings as I am most familiar with the home . During the listing process is when I learn everything there is to know about the property. I feel it is my job to accompany.
The lock box if its wireless is designed to tell the Realtor who, when and at what time the home was shown. However most keys can be programed to open at certain times only. Your agent should note on the listing that a curtsey call is needed.

In reference to the agent who showed your home with out notice. I've done that my self as I may be showing in the area and the clients want to see a home. I normally knock first and if they have children I take turns with the couple or I keep an eye on them.

We expect every one to be professional but it doesn't always work out that way.
The best of luck with the sale of your home. Oscar Saroza Associate-Broker Atlanta GA
Listing agents not always present when another agent shows the home. However, if you have agents showing your home without your permission that is a big no no. In my area we are fined for showing a home without listing office approval. I
We use lock boxes on almost all listings in our area. We rarely have the issues you have described because most agents understand the guidelines which is apparently not true in your area. Vicki's idea about the portable box is good.

Here is another idea. In order to get the combo to the box an agent must call your agent and you agent has to set the appointment time with you.. then he can give out the combo information. He should have a special combo for the box not the one it came with. Your agent should put in the listing that all viewings are by appointment only and that an appointment must be made at least 1 hour in advance.

If your area uses supra boxes have one of those installed and have it set up with specific showing times.
If anyone shows up without an appointment tell them they have to contact your agent before they can show the property. You want agents to have access but you also have rights. This is something you need to discuss with your agent... immediately.
Kaye Thomas, Real Estate Pro in 90266
No, you need to find a professional Realtor,they follow and adhere to a Code of Ethics.I am a real estate professioanal in New York,and all of my exclusive listings are shown with me being at the home. The scenario that you referred to with the agent and children,well that just unacceptable,period.You really need an agent who cares and has pride in their profession.That agent is giving us professionals a bad perception of what is really going on!