Cliff C, Other/Just Looking in Syosset, NY

Looking to sell my house in East Meadow, NY

Asked by Cliff C, Syosset, NY Tue Aug 7, 2012

Is it possible to get what I paid for the house? I bought the house almost 7 years ago and it was a complete 'fixer upper', or as contractors say a "handy man special". since then, i've gutted the entire house, putting in an immense amount of money. Obviously, i knew i wasn't going to get back the investment that i put into the house, but i would like to at least get what i paid for the house.
I am in the Barnum Woods school district, mid block location, and the largest lot size in the area (app. 1/5th acre - .1923 according to mynassauproperty). compared to the other houses in the area (ranches with 3/4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms), we are looking at higher price, but the other homes are not updated (we have coriam counters in the house, as well as complete water filtration, CaC, hardwood floors, marble floors in kitchen & basement), etc etc. i would like to sell it on my own compared to that of using a broker. any thoughts?

Jessica Hood & Laura Roskelly’s answer
Hi Cliff,

Look right here under the "find a pro" section to see whose got great exposure in your area. Also google search your neigborhood and city and see who comes up number one. That would be a great place to find a "modern" pro that knows the Internet is key to selling your home!
Not sure a proper valuation can be given without a tour of the property; however if you really choose not work with an agent, consider hiring a professional licensed appraiser...also check http://www.mlsli.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2012
Listing with an agent will give you the most exposure and the most
for your money. With a CMA report can tell us the best clue of what your
home is really valued at the current market.
Fajardo Delacruz
347 932-0609
Hi Cliff, I just showed three listings in East Meadow tonight, showing there again Friday and Saturday. I'd like to stop by and take a look at your house. Drop me a line if it's ok.
Tom Brady SFR, e-Pro, SRES, GREEN, BPOR
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Ret. NYPD Lt.
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Plaza - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
Looks like you need some professional advice.......don't you?

I appreciate, and respect, your right to sell on your own, but..............this is a major undertaking. So........make sure you know what you are getting into, and are armed to do battle!!

Do your due dillgence.......know what the local market is....know the fair market value of your home..........learn about inspections and town requirements...........know what the comps are......know what the current competition is........know how to qualify a buyer..........know what questions to ask prospective buyers.........know how to separate out the real buyers from the lookers..............know how the mortgage process works.......learn about contract contingencies.............and on and on the list goes...........

Asking strangers on the internet what your home might be worth is not the prudent place to start.
No one can tell you what you might get for your home.....or if it is possible to get what you paid for it.........no one knows your house.......

Educate yourself, and don't be fooled into thinking this is just about finding someone who makes you an offer you will accept........that's only the beginning.

I just love how home owners want to play with fire and attempt to sell their largest asset on their own, and have the nerve to ask real estate professionals for advice.
Sounds like you have a very nice home, but you "may" end up losing money by selling on your own. "I" would meet with a few brokers to see what they have to offer....it's free! Then I would decide whether or not to do it myself. Whatever your decision, I wish you well!
Web Reference: http://www.bverealty.com
Good Morning Cliff. As a Real Estate Professional, I cannot "guess" what your home will be worth without seeing it and comparing how your home stacks up against the competition. I see that you are interested in selling it yourself. However, in today's market; according to the National Association of Realtors, some 97% of buyers do not buy a For Sale By Owner Property, and some 98% of those buyers that do buy a home that is For Sale By Owner, use a Broker to Represent them, typically of which; the Seller will pay a percentage to. So, either way, you will ultimately be looking at paying a Brokers Fee. Why not pay a few thousand more, to have someone represent you as well?

If you are serious about selling your home, I would love to offer you a complimentary consultation as well as a complimentary Historical & Current Market Analysis of your home, where we will see how your home stacks up against the competition, pricing and marketing strategies and more.

Your home sounds amazing, just by the description, but I would have to see your home in order to give you a figure.

I hope this answered your question. If you have any further questions, or would like to take me up on my offer, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you the best of luck,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Mobile: (631)384-3695
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!"
Good morning Cliff , A house will sell for what a buyer is willing to pay for it . As an agent when I list a house I always tell the seller that I dont have a crystal ball to tell you when and how much your home will sell for , but I will price it according to what is on the market and what has sold so we can price it right to get offers coming in. Any other questions give me a call . Cell 917-734-6890
Dear Home seller.

You are now in a Buyer's Market, This means that they dictate the price for you house. Today they smarter than before because they know they need to be qualified to be able to get a mortgage which is not easy these days either. You need a qualified buyer - this requires a proffessional to work for you. Whatever you feel towards what you home worth is irrelevant. If the appraiser will not approve the price you're asking , the buyer won't get the finance to buy your house.
A proffessional agnet will prepare for you a CMA (comparable Market Analysis) to give you a full picture of what has been sold in your area at a certain time range, what is on the market now, what is under contract, what has been expired or withdrawn or price changed. Based on this information, you will be able to price your home right - price it to sell and not to help other homes in your area to sell. How so? Agents will use your home as an example for "Over Priced" inventory, to push their inventory by pricing them less to sell. So you will end up sitting on your inventory, thinking what you can do to sell it. The market was a lot different when you bought your house than it is today and unfortunately you can not look back. You have to weigh what you would like to do and as much as it may seems unreal, you can still gain from the situation because if you are about to purchase a property as well, the seller you will buy from has to reduce his price to gain you as a buyer.
Get yourself a smaty agent who knows how to market your home right, who is dedicated and has the technology and resources to sell your house. I will tell you much more if you called me
I agree with Tom...
Without seeing the home it is impossible to give you an accurate market value and market doesn't care what you paid, only what it's worth now.

I think the more important question is "why would you want to be a For Sale by Owner.(FSBO)?"

For sale by owner is the least effective, if at all effective means. Most do not succeed, and eventually list with a qualified real estate professional and have lost valuable time and money.

Those that do succeed on the average get less for their property.

You need maximum exposure, an experienced, skilled agent who is devoted entirely to selling your property, a company with cutting edge marketing ability, and a professional negotiator.

If you want to sell in the least amount of time for the most money, use an agent who is affiliated with a major league agency with a great marketing dept. That way every buyer qualified to buy your property will know about it and will be dealing with someone whose sole purpose is to represent your best interests.

As a realtor I can help you with a CMA if you would like and sign you up for a free account with listingbook seller account at http://jonivanst.listingbook.com with no obligation.

I hope this helps.

If you would like any assistance you can contact me at any time

Warmest regards,
Joni van Stavern
Century 21 Dallow
I promise alot and deliver even more......
Hi Cliff, without seeing the house it's impossible to give you an accurate market value. Unfortunately the market doesn't care what you paid, only what it's worth now. You should have three or so agents stop by from different companies and give you free CMA's, that should give you a good idea of the market value. I would think twice about doing FSBO as over 80% eventually list with an agent, but; usually after a lot of stress and expense. I work with an agent in your area who will structure the listing so that if you find the buyer you don't pay a commission. There are some restrictions such as only his sign in your yard, but they aren't major. Let me know if you might be interested and I'll let him know.