Home Selling in Jersey City>Question Details

Lance, Home Buyer in Jersey City, NJ

Looking for an agent to sell my condo in jersey city, what's the difference between the different companies (ex. 21 century, weichert, re/max) if any?

Asked by Lance, Jersey City, NJ Tue Aug 6, 2013

Are commission fees any different? Contract terms attaining to selling period?

Answers

14
I think the brokerage makes zero difference. It's all about what the agent brings to the table to establish value and earn your business. Commissions are negotiable as is the listing period.
Hi Lance,

The main difference between the larger companies is their internet presence and additional marketing which some provide.

It really comes down to the individual agent. Look for someone who is knowledgeable and specializes in your area, has a proven track record, and most importantly, someone who you feel comfortable with.

Commission is negotiable, as are contract terms, but the typical listing agreement is for six months.

Best of luck, its a great time to sell…

Chris

Chris Amberg
Weichert Realtors
Exchange Place Office
251 Washington Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Email: camberg@weichert.com
NJAR Circle of Excellence Silver '10, Gold '11, Platinum '12
Dear Lance,

As others have noted the only way to really determine who would be best to sell your home is face to face interviews. The company has somewhat to do with the quality of service due to office policies and their impact, but as some have stated it is mostly the individual Realtor or the team that will determine what you are getting.

Now here comes the shameless self promotion part.

I can confidently say that our team (HobNJRE Team) would be your best choice for the following reasons:

1. Expertise - Expert Certification from the National Association of Expert Advisors (NAEA) assures you get the finest of advice and guidance to determine your best strategy for sale. We focus on a consultation approach, rather then a sales-person's approach.
2. Level of Services - We provide more services then any single Realtor in the area. Let us prove this to you in our interview.
3. Negotiation Skills - Our team incorporates negotiation training, so we can serve you best. You would not believe how much this matters.
4. Communication - We make sure you are fully in the picture at all times, and know exactly what is going on, what the exposure of your listing is, and what response it is getting.

We can claim with confidence that using our repeatable market research proven methods, we can sell your property by up to 18% more than through the standard methods used in the real estate market right now. So, whatever you do let's talk before you make your selection.

Amos Elroy
CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)
SFR (Short-Sale Specialist Certified)
CHBA (Certified Home Buyer Adviser from NAEA)
CSBA (Certified Home Seller Adviser from NAEA)
NAEA Member (National Association of Expert Advisers)

Residential Real Estate Expert Adviser

Lic. Realtor Associate
EXIT On The Hudson Realty
(888) 462-6573 / (888) HOB-NJRE
FAX (888) 462-6573
Office 201-437-0411
http://www.HobNJRE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
Hi Lance. Agents work WITH not FOR a real estate company of their choosing. From this they are considered independent contractors.

The difference in service has to do with the individual agent offering services. As mentioned agents are independent contractors and this is why services vary greatly from one agent to another, not because of the company they work with. It is up to the agent not the company as to what services (individually) the agents are willing to offer each client. One client may receive an abundance of services while another may receive less than average services.

Commission standards are the same across the board. Contract terms can be modified to suite an individual seller's need. The contract period is determined by the client, and all the contracts produced are legally binding with the real estate companies not the agents. Agents are mediators, for lack of better words, who represent/assist buyers and sellers.

In finding an experienced agent, you may want to interview several and determine what services each agent is willing to give you to get your house sold. Best of luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
Rather than worrying about the differences, why not contact, invite and interview in person, a few local agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer--generally it's individual agent that matters most, not necessarily the company of affiliation. As for commissions, keep in mind that they are negotiable, there are no set standards; therefore choose your agent with care and not by commission alone.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 6, 2013
Hi Lance as real estate agents we can't make any representations about other companies since every real estate agent is an independent contractor and can set their own commission and list if services.
To answer that question best, I would recommend you interview three agents one from each company and see for yourself which company and real estate agent you are more comfortable with.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 6, 2013
Lance,

As mentioned below, all commissions and contract terms are negotiable,.therefore, the most important point to focus on when interviewing agents is finding an individual with the right positioning and marketing strategy to bring your property to market the proper way. This will create the necessary momentum that will drive the demand, which in turn will allow you to obtain the highest and best price for your unit.

If you would like to hear more about how myself and my firm would service you, I'd be glad to schedule a time to meet and further discuss. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin Bartlett
VP Hudson County Sales
NJ License- Broker Associate

Commercial â–ª Residential â–ª Development â–ª Management

840 Bergen Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07306
Tel 201.420.1300
Fax 201.420.1726
Mobile 201.819.5094
Email kbartlett@alexander-anderson.com

Hackensack â–ª Jersey City

http://www.alexander-anderson.com
Hi Lance,

In addition to all the other reasonable comments, If your condo is in downtown JC, pick an agent connected to the NYC market (licensed in both states) as many of the most competitive buyers are crossing the river. That would be me. Call if you want to have coffee and talk.

Werner Bargsten 201-233-0698
Coldwell Banker Downtown JC.
Oxford Property Group, NYC
Lance, there are many real estate companies from which to choose but only one that is the nation's largest, privately owned company, Weichert Realtors. As all others are franchisees, each office is owned and operated separately. Weichert.com is also the largest broker web site with the greatest exposure. You will be happy with Weichert and I'm sure there are no other agents that will work harder to sell your home than me. Lastly, as required by state law, all broker fees are negotiable.

Call me at (201) 743-9179.

Jim Martin
Weichert Realtors
Hi Lance

Contact me for a free list of question to ask your potential agent.
Add Keller Williams to you list , they are now the largest Real Estate company in the nation and there is a reason for it.

I can tell you what is the same between these companies. They might put a sign if the condo complex allows it and they will put it on the Hudson MLS,

What will differ is who and where they target buyers on various websites. The level of service the provide. Will they get most of the leads and bring buyers or do they just put it out there for other agents who know nothing about your condo to try and sell it.
Real Estate Brokers/Companies do have differences in how they operate. For example, some have agents answer the phones while others have employees. Making appointments varies from in house to call centers, usually easier for the call centers since they are open longer. Advertising also varies.
Ultimately, do interview agents as we are your direct contact. Have a list of questions you ask each, including how they will handle marketing, offers, appointments. In the he end, hire who you feel will represent you the best.
Hi Lance -

Commission fees are all negotiable, and are generally 5% and up at this time. You will agree with the agent about the length of the listing. Usually we would ask for at least 6 months in order to effectively market the property.

As other agents have said, you need to find someone to work with that you feel comfortable with. The larger nationwide agencies have the advantage of a nationwide website to list your property. This allows people out of the area looking to move here to see what there is on offer.

Beyond that we all work with a Multiple Listing Service which allows any agent in Hudson County to show your property. The agency and agent you choose is responsible for all other advertising.

I am a 35 year resident of Jersey City affiliated with Century 21's agency on Grove St. in Downtown Jersey City. I think I have the advantage of being very familiar with the area as well as having a connection with a nationwide company. I would be happy to meet with you and discuss what we can do to market your property
Good evening Lance, my name is Shaddy Salama, I am a realtor in Jersey city, and I will be more than glad to help you with your concerns. First and foremost, to answer your question, these are all just different branches, we all work in the same field. Brokers & agents in different firms work with each other to produce sales idealy both will benefit some how. There are no set commission fees for any brokerage.

As far as selling your condominium, I'd like to talk more about excellent market strategies in order to produce a sale. I have great experience in jersey city and can offer you an accurate comparative market analysis. If you can give me a call at your earliest convenience, I'd be more than glad to help address your concerns and answer any questions you may have.

Kind regards,

EXIT Preferred Realty Group
Shaddy Salama
Licensed Real Estate Professional
(201) 206-3458
Great question, I would research the company and the agent you decide to work with, you will need someone with experience and knowledge of the area you are selling. What I have experienced having a large company representing your property, there is always have someone answering the phone that will attend to buyers calling in about your property. At Weichert, there is always an agent available, if you would like to discuss how we can sell your condo please do give me a call. Good Luck

Weichert Realtors
Twanita Bragg
273 Grove St
Jersey City, NJ