Home Selling in Wood Dale>Question Details

Helen, Home Seller in Wood Dale, IL

Living out of State. Necessary for a real estate agent to go indoors for a price estimate? I have the id number House built 1940. Never been sold.

Asked by Helen, Wood Dale, IL Sat Dec 10, 2011

Answers

6
HI Helen,

Yes it is very important for a real estate agent to inside the property to get an accurate price opinion. I have worked the Wood Dale area for 20 years. I am sure we could work something out in regards to being able
to get into the house. I would be very happy to help you in this regard. You can never tell what a house looks
like on the inside, just by the appearance on the outside.
Patty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 10, 2011
absolutely! interior condition is as important as exterior condition to a home's value. would you buy a home without going inside?
Helen,
It depends on how accurate a value you want. A home in objectively excellent condition is worth more than one is fair or poor condition. One with many well done recent updates has more value than one where a homeowner tried to do updates, but they used cheap materials and look like they were done by a non-professional.
A drive by assessment can give a value range, but will be based on assumptions. A complete inspection will be far more valid, especially for an older house.
"Drive by" appraisals or CMA's are not the best indication of property values. They are what they appear, only an indication of how things look from the outside looking in. Buyers would be well advised to not take a property too seriously without having been inside it.

In order to give you an accurate estimate of market value, yes, it's important for the agent to get inside the property. If the home is similar to others in the area, they can probably get within range, but can't give you a "true" value, without seeing the interior spaces.

That allows them to see condition, decorating, feel the space, the floor plan. Those things make a difference.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
I can give you a market value of the property. Any value without walking on the property would have to use worst case value of the interior. A driveby would only review the location. Basically it would be a land value report.