Question Details

Rpu, Home Buyer in Kensington, CA

Listing agent expense reimbursement?

Asked by Rpu, Kensington, CA Wed Jun 18, 2008

My agent was not able to bring an acceptable purchase offer for my home. The agent's listing has expired, and I have taken the home off of the market. The agent has requested I reimburse her for the following expenses she incurred when listing the home: Brochure photos and sketches, hazard disclosure report, sewer and termite inspection fees.
There is no reimbursement stipulation in her listing agreement. Is her request valid?

Answers

2
Put in your listing agreement that certain advertising should be paid by the seller, and that he will be reimbursed by the agent upon closing. That helps the agent keep the listing and helps them readjust the listing terms later on.
I regret hearing that your home did not sell....Today's market can prove quite daunting. When an agent takes a listing, she also takes some risks that she will not see a return on her investment ( the brochures, ads, etc). Unless there was a stipulation in the listing agreement, the agent does not have any recourse on recouping her losses...She just has to "bite the bullet" on that one and hope that her next listing ends in a sucessful sale. I wish you much luck in selling your home should you decide to relist...In saying that, if you do decide to relist, and you had a great relationship with your previous realtor, you might want to give her the opportunity to recoup her losses by allowing her to relist....Best of luck