Home Selling in Philadelphia>Question Details

Skry, Home Buyer in Jenkintown, PA

Letter to potential buyer

Asked by Skry, Jenkintown, PA Fri May 13, 2011

I'm selling my house. We've had one potential buyer and one more scheduled. The comments from the first PB were that the house showed well, they were interested, but were concerned about a slopping driveway in the back (which could be leveled off but we never found the need with ample street parking). And a too small family room in the basement - most folks don't even have fixed up basements. I can't change either of these, but can address them, ie;, we never needed parking out back and closet could be removed in family room to make room bigger. Realtor suggests writing a dear PB letter to put in the house for showings to address these two issues. Do you think this is a good approach or does this point out possible problems that some may not even realize? Would it give someone ammunition to lowball a price?

Answers

7
Hi Skry,

I agree with the other agents here. Why raise objections that may not exist to most potential buyers. I think your agent should discuss those issues with the PB's agent as they arise and try to negotiate a deal. If you have only a few prospective buyers looking, you want to try to close a deal with one of them. Maybe the closet and driveway concerns can be resolved with a small credit toward that work? Otherwise, keep on showing and market your home like crazy. It only takes one buyer to close the sale. Many homebuyers may not have issues with the driveway and closet. Good Luck.

Larry
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 13, 2011
One buyer's opinion doesn't necessarily reflect the sentiments of the entire potential buyer pool for your home.
Don't ask , don't tell , unless required by law to disclose.
Dear home seller,
I would not point out any potential issues someone sees, the next person may not see it as an issue. If you bring it their attention, they may say; "oh, you're right". And you do not want that. In the listing you may want to say there is ample parking and the driveway lists away from the home to prevent water accumulating at the foundation. Also mention that the basement IS finished, as many in the area are not. Do not remove a closet-they are too important.
Bad idea!

The issues brought up by your potential buyer were specific to him/her and may not be concerns to anyone else. Why call attention to issues that others may never see as objections?
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
Hi Skry,

I would suggest that this information be given to the potential buyers who have a concern via your realtor. He or she can communicate your response the PB's realtor in order to address their concern.

I do not think it is a good idea to draw a potential buyer's attention to things they may or may not be concerned about.

Best of luck in selling your home!

Nicole
I would not suggest pointing out problems you or others see in the house. If the buyers don't notice it as a problem, don't point it out and tell them others do. The buyers won't believe you if they see it as a big problem, so don't do the letter. You could work a letter turned it around and said something like, "We have loved the ample parking when friends came over" or "You will notice we are one of only a few homes in the area with a finished basement".

Selling is better than defending.