Jkempr, Home Buyer in Jamesburg, NJ

Kitchen renovation needed

Asked by Jkempr, Jamesburg, NJ Wed Jul 18, 2012

How imperative is it that a home have a brand new kicthen? I am not sure if i should invest in the kicthen prior to selling. I understand that i will not get the value back 100% that i put in however, with an old kitchen is my house less marketable?

Answers

13
You can't go wrong with kitchens and bathrooms to renovate. If you sell you will get a higher interest in your property and if you keep you will gain the benefits of updates.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 16, 2014
I would go ahead and do the kitchen renovation. Not only will it and value to your home, but you also get to enjoy it until you sell. Thanksgiving is right around the corner, but there is still time to get the project completed.

http://www.clohessycabinets.com.au/content/services/kitchens_/3
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 15, 2014
My brother had this question a few months ago. He has an older home that he has been living in but he wants to fix it up and sell it. He is hoping to get a good investment out of this by renovating the kitchen and bathrooms. http://www.cavallo.net.au
Jul 2012 question.
JK has certainly resolved this.

But this is still a GREAT question!

The house must be objectively evaluated for obsolescence.
if were're talking 7 ft ceilings, shotgun bedrooms, and compartmentalized living, then fixing the kitchen, with cabinets and appliances will prove to be wasted money.

If, however, the home has higher ceilings. dispersed bedrooms, two car garage, single level living and a functional (not obsolete) floor plan, you have the right bones to work with.

Next, know the ARV of the home based on recent sales in the area. Extrapolate this homes value from that data. Budget the cost of kitchen to be properly proportional to the homes value.

THIS IS YOUR 'NEW KITCHEN' BUDGET.

The data will show you can safely invest $10,000 or $20,000 or $50,000 in the kitchen without over developing or creating great imbalance.

Head to IKEA and get a "Knock Your Socks Off" solution that WILL put money in your pocket.

I love seeing the contagious smiles as buyer enters a 100 year old house and find 'Fashion Forward' design greeting them. THAT is how PASSION is created in the buyer.

Step two is helping the buyer JUSTIFY the purchase.

Step three is removing the obstacles.

Best of Success
Annette Lawrnece, Broker/Associate
Remax
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
I think if you are planning on selling your house soon it would be a good idea to renovate the kitchen. The kitchen and the bathrooms seem to be the biggest selling points in a house. If people like your kitchen they are more likely to get over the things they don't like and buy it. You don't have to renovate, but it is a good option. http://www.clohessycabinets.com.au
Flag Mon Nov 17, 2014
....but only if it is not an obsolete kitchen layout.
Flag Mon Sep 8, 2014
Think about this scenario that I experienced a while ago. My seller like you, wanted to maximize on the sale of his property so went to the extreme of installing a brand ne kitchen at the expense of nearly $50,000. The home was sold and both the buyer and seller were delighted with the transaction.

Continuing on beyond this point, the new owners didn't like the choices their seller made when redoing the kitched and decided to gut the kitchen and start over.......

If your choice happens to be one of renovating the kitchen, as the present owner consider you are rolling the dice in the same manner as the owner in my scenario.

My appreciation for this experience finds me taking a more conservative position. One of minimizing expense while improving what is there through modest adjustments. A lot can be accomplished through updating appliances, countertops, painting, and chamging cupboard pulls.

Just keeping it real!

In my opinion, the kitchen is the most important part of a home. I am actually in the process of planning a remodel. I really like the newer styles, and you can't beat top-of-the-line appliances.

http://www.granitetransformationsgc.com.au/index.php/our-ser…
Today was a normal day showing 10 homes to a married couple in different cities in the Greater Cleveland Area. In each home the wife headed straight to the kitchen, with the husband not far behind. For most families, the kitchen is the hub of the home. Try to do the following:
1. Make sure you have newer, matching appliances (they don't have to be stainless steel!!).
2. A stainless steel double sink is always affordable.
3. New counters are a good addition, even if you choose Formica.
4. Paint, refinish, or change out cabinet fronts.
5. Change out cabinet and drawer handles/pulls.
6. Change, refinish, clean, grout the kitchen floors.
7. Clean off your counters and put everything away, so you have counter space.
8. Organize the inside of the cabinets and drawers.
Thank you for that question; my first instinctive response would be that it depends on the situation as each property needs to be evaluated for location as well as what the seller is trying to achieve. Not exactly the answer that you were looking for but as I know the town very well and just love the older style homes of the community so in weighing in your description I would not gut or do much renovation in the kitchen. What I would suggest is maximum exposure because you have a home that has an undeniable appeal to a targeted group. I represent a company, Realty Mark that has over 16 offices in NJ, PA, DE,MD and VA. Our website presence is second to none with over 100 sites where your home will turn up in the top of the listing searches. If you are also in the process of deciding which real estate agency would serve you best you should strongly consider marketing.

Donna Valese
Realty Mark Professionals
855-777-(MARK) 6275 x 202
well then in my opinion, price the house (well and competitively) for its current condtion - it sounds like a lovely home.................as long as it "shows well" let the new owners deal with the kitchen after the house is theirs.

The only thing, if you feel he need to do some updating (and please, check with your agent for his or her opnion) is in regard to the appliances......even an older kitchen is enhaced wth new appliances..........if the current ones are from the 70's, you might look into that one upgrade..................otherwise - price it according ly...and be hppy you're waking away with a nice profit!!

Best wishes...............
The home is 100 yrs old,everything in the home has been updated, hardwood floors refinished, new porch, new bathroom, etc. The kitchen was updated in the 70s prior to me purchsasing the home. Unfortunately the cabinets were custom built into the kitchen so its difficult to reface, etc. I did however paint them, have new hardware and new counter tops. I definitely feel its a cosmetic issue but due to the nature of how they were custom built, the only other way to change anything would be to completely gut the kitchen. I will already be making a profit on the home in its current state which is a good thing. Where my home is located would not attract premium buyers.
Let's start with basics......

Do you have the budget for a kitchen renovation - whether it is a full or partial (refaced cabinets)renovation?
Maybe your budget will allow only for paint and new hardware......or new flooring........or just new ss appliances.....some of these items can make a difference.......it doesn't necessarily have to be all or nothing.......figure out how to proceed once you figure out how much you can comfortably afford to spend.

As important..............Will you be making a healthy profit on your home, with or without the renovation........or will you be breaking even....or worse yet, upside down on your mortgage?

Certainly updated kitchens enhance a house and help it sell faster and for more money.

But, you need to factor the above elements into your final decision.

If nothing else, make sure the house is uncluttered.... and neat and sparkling - that doesn't cost much to do!
(and price it accordingly!!!)

It really depends on who your buyers are and what the local market is doing. Some buyers are willing to pay a premium for a home with a new kitchen, especially if it's something they won't be willing to do on their own in the future. If you haven't connected with a Realtor yet, I'd be happy to discuss your individual home and make some recommendations.

Cooper

Cooper Ford
Gloria Zastko Realtors
Office: 732-297-0600 x31
Kitchens are one of the top selling points in a home so an old kitchen will most likely make your home less marketable however like you said you most likely won't get back 100% of the investment.