Home Selling in Portland>Question Details

Cal Resner, Both Buyer and Seller in San Diego, CA

Job relocation may force move!

Asked by Cal Resner, San Diego, CA Mon Jul 2, 2012

Have not gotten job yet but, i am wondering if I should use the agent that helped me buy my house 4 years ago? My agent at the time did a decent job but did not seem very aggressive and I feel I might need someone who is more on the aggressive side to do a good job of selling my home in these difficult markets. Any thoughts here? Are some agents better for buying and some for selling?

Answers

14
Cal,
I may not be the right agent for you but I do have a very strong opinion about this question.
First to answer your question :Are some agents better for buying and some for selling? I would say yes without hesitation! I would say this because there are some agents that do a decent job in working with buyers but are very weak when it comes to listing and selling a property. I do not believe that the person that helped you purchase your home is the best person to sell it. First, does this person specialize in your area and have done a good job in marketing for that area? Many agents will help a client buy a home in areas they have never worked in.

I said in the beginning that I may not be the right person for you. I specialize in working with condos and lofts. As an agent in the downtown area, I see agents get listings downtown because they helped their client purchase their condo. Do these agents deserve to be the listing agents for that condo when they have done virtually no marketing torwards condo buyers? Absolutely not! They can not turn on a switch and all of the sudden be an expert in marketing condos. The same can be said in the area where you live.

I am not sure what area you live in but I would start the process by seeing who does a good job of marketing in your area. Are they good at marketing themselves? If not, why would you think they would do a good job of marketing your listing if they can't do a good job marketing themselves? Here is an interesting thought...95% of real estate agents do not have a sales and marketing background. Yet, when listing a home, marketing plays such a big role in the process. If they don't have a strong sales background, are they going to be the one that can be a superior negotiator?

Too many agents try to claim they can be everything to everybody and I don't believe that can be the case.

Good luck to you Cal!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
Just wanted to add a few more thoughts. Jannese, Linda and Karla do make a good point about your previous agent. I would maybe include her into the interview process as loyalty is something to be respected in this business. But loyalty, I believe, is earned from doing a great job in previous business matters. Did she do a GREAT job...if yes, give her a chance!

Also, your worries about her being aggressive enough or not I think will be answered and come out in the interviewing process when she is competing against several other agents.

Brad Golik
http://www.LuxuryCondosofPortland.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
I'm going to take a little different stance. I agree with Linda that I need to be about 50/50 as a listing/buyer's broker so I can know what's going on in every aspect of the market. However, if you were happy with your former agent and they were a good agent and have survived the last several years and you had trust with them, you should call and qualify your former agent first. I totally respect and embrace loyalty in this business. Agents are forever trying to sell how they are so different, when I believe the major difference is experience and trust. If your agent has experience, call him/her and speak honestly about your reservations. You may find that they were not so aggressive in selling you a property because they were giving you an opportunity to make one of the biggest decisions in your life without someone "breathing down your neck". You want an agent who returns calls, gives feedback, stays in touch, can handle the paperwork and has a web presence (if they don't have a web presence, then ask in what universe they are living). ;-). Otherwise, give your agent the respect of addressing your reservations. IF you are honest with them about all aspects of your expectations, you should either feel relieved or know that you should interview other agents. All the very best
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
jj@janeesejackson.com
Web Reference: http://fabulousportland.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
I get asked this question all the time as some agents do like to position themselves as Listing Agents. Personally, I prefer to do about 50/50 as it keeps my head in both sides of the game so to speak. I do believe it provides critical buyer insight that benefits my sellers in their preparation to sell.

If you have a good relationship with that agent, then I would definitely call them to discuss. The market was different 4 years ago and what may not have seemed very aggressive may have been related to market conditions.

The best thing you can do for yourself is clean and prep to give your home that model home feel. I cannot say enough about staging and provide a staging consultation at my expensive for all of my sellers. Not only do they help to define the spaces in the best possible light, but they can help the homeowner with small repairs like paint and lighting fixtures at a small cost.

Good luck on your decision making and in the end I say go with your gut:)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
I suggest you find a top agent who specializes in listing homes. Buyer's agents are good for buyers however a listing agent will work differently. I can recommend a local Keller Williams Agent who specializes in selling homes in your area.

The Navarro Team
503-317-8299
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
For the most part, if you're not happy with the agent find someone else. The market is not difficult. Depending on where the home is located, the current condition of the property, it might not be difficult at all. If you bought 4 years ago are you in a short sale situation? If that's the case, you really need to find a listing agent that is competent in short sales.

A great, seasoned agent is a great, seasoned agent. They represent their client, no matter if listing or buying, with experience. I practice Exclusive Buyer Agency and my office does not take listings or represents sellers . . . it's a choice I made for my real estate practice. It does not mean I wouldn't / couldn't represent the sellers competently.

If you're planning to buy in San Diego, contact Jeff Dowler
Web Reference: http://www.jeffdowler.com/
You need to be comfortable with the agent you choose and I do agree that you should be able to see the marketing plan, the past performance and ask whether or not the agent is a buyer or seller agent - but if you were to ask me - I would have to tell you I do both and do it very well. Then again- I have been a realtor for 21+ years - so that helps quite a bit. Good luck in choosing your agent!
I agree that you should interview at least three different Realtors, including your previous Realtor. You should ask to see on paper each Realtor's marketing plan, any recommendations they may have from other sellers they have worked with and a comparative market analysis for your home and other houses in your neighborhood that have sold in the last 6 months.
Marketing, price, condition of home (your responsibility) are all important in this kind of housing market. Remember that 90% of buyers shop on line first before hiring a Realtor to help them find a home, so check out the Realtors' websites and other listings to see if you feel their photos show off their listings well. It is a good idea to get somewhat ready for llisting your home in case you do get the job offer.
I agree with Janeese and Linda on this question. A good point is made that your agent may not have seemed agressive when helping you buy your home because she or he was giving you some space to make this big decision. Brokers who have made it through the last four years are doing something right, and if your Broker has kept in touch with you, I think she deserves an opportunity to earn your confidence again. Ask the questions you want answered and listen to the answers. Remember, the important factors in selling your home is pricing it correctly for the market location you are in and working together with your Broker to present your property in the very best light to attract a qualified buyer.
Karla Divine, Principal Broker
Divine NW Realty
http://www.karladivine.com
503-819-6923
karla@karladivine.com
Linda, Janeese, and Brad
Thank you for answering my question with some honesty and not just giving me a 2 sentance sales pitch (Stephen, Mandy and Jesse) .
And Jesse, testimonials are like ********, everybody has one and it doesn't mean much to me!
We would be more than happy to discuss how an assertive broker in this market with a proven track record can actually be a benefit to helping you achieve the goals you want to happen with the buying and selling of real estate here in Portland. We look forward to talking with you.

Ticknor Properties Group - Keller Williams
503-336-6111
Cal, I’m the listing specialist for our team. Send me an email and I will send you our listing presentation. You won’t be disappointed. Here's a testimonial I received a couple of days ago from just one of our happy sellers....

Jesse Dill
John L Scott - Real Estate
503-969-3236
jessedillpdx@gmail.com

Glendale Ave - Seller: "Jesse responded to our need to sell. He was prompt, articulate, knowledgeable and honest. The house sold full price within 2 days. Amazing. He was excellent in acting as communicator between us the buyer. He kept us informed of the whole process from start to finish. Best realtor we ever had the privilege and honor to work with."
You need a Listing Specialist. Call us today at (503) 888-3180, and we will set you up with our phenomenal listing specialist who doesn't want to list your house, she wants to sell it and get you on to your next part of your journey.

http://www.pdxrockstars.com
Cal,

If you're selling in Portland I don't think you can beat this selling package: http://www.realestateagentpdx.com/portlandlistingrealtor/

Best marketing, value, and service.

Stephen