Arianne, Home Seller in Auburn Hills, MI

Is there any real purpose to take a home off the market for a couple weeks durning the xmas holidays? My home

Asked by Arianne, Auburn Hills, MI Tue Dec 18, 2007

has been up for 6 months today with no offers?? In Michigan it's normal to have a house up for 6 months plus. My 6 month contract is up today and she wants to take it off for a couple weeks. The sign in going today, my worries are what if by chance the homes were competing with in the neighborhood sell or become pending ,because ours is "off the market". We have the best home in the sub, location, curb appeal ect. and second highest price. 3 grand above 5 others then 10 grad above some not so nice homes. Is there any real purpose to doing this?

Answers

11
Arianne

No one has the crystal ball that tells when one's buyer may be looking.

There is a possibility that your buyer could be using the holidays to conveniently look for their new home.

It is adviseable for any seller, once they decide to sell, to keep their property marketed and available for showing appointments.

Most buyers are flexible during the holidays not to infringe on family schedules, and will work with realsonably mutually agreement schedules.

It would be a shame to possibly lose a buyer to another property by arbitrarily taking a property off the market for even a short period of time.

Many realtors have written offers on Christmas Eve and day after Christmas.

Best of luck with the sale of your home
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 18, 2007
Arianne, Lisa's suggestions are very sound.

Some additional items to consider. In 2008, the MLS numbers for homes in your area will change from 27xxxxxx to 28xxxxxx. Savvy agents will be informing their buyers of this information so having a 271xxxxx number will really date your home. The area MLS also keeps a record of the history of your home, which includes dates of any changes in price or status as explained by Lisa. The total days on market number continues to count unless the home is off the market for 31 days. All buyers agents are able to view this number and must inform their buyers.

Please ask your agent to show you all homes that sold in your immediate subdivision or area. For example: Fox, Fox sub 1, and Fox sub 2 are 3 distinct immediate areas. Whatever number of homes sold in 2007 you can estimate that a similar number of homes will sell in 2008. This will assist you in correctly positioning your home to sell. For instance, if two homes sold during 2007 your home needs to be priced within the first 2 of your area to sell in 2008.

I hope that makes sense, if you have any questions feel free to contact a real estate professional through Trulia for more information. It's always good to get a second opinion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 18, 2007
There's no reason to necessairly take it off the market for a few weeks just because of the holidays unless it's by your request. If your agent wants it to appear "new" and "fresh" that can be accomplished by either letting it expire and then add the listing new or simply withdrawing it from market and again adding it new. It really accomplishes the same thing. That being said, your listing appears "new" for 14 days and therefore draws the greatest amount of attention during this time. Are a lot of people looking over Christmas? Maybe not.

One thing to keep in mind about your pricing, without knowing anything about your amenities, etc. homes that are priced below yours in the neighborhood will more then likely get shown in conjunction with yours. So, an agent may take them into a higher priced home and then show lower priced and say you can get all this and for $10K less. It's not necessarily the best situaiton to be priced the highest in the neighorhood unless you home really, really warrants a higher price such as much bigger, more bedrooms, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 18, 2007
Hi Arianne,

While I would typically agree that a break over the holiday isn't a bad thing, I would probably reconsider given my recent experience in this market.

One of my listings hadn't had very few showings the past few months. We just had two showings last weekend, both of which are considering the home--coming back again this week! If we had taken it off the market like they had wanted to do, we may have missed out on these buyers.

With buyers so few and far between these days, my personal opinion is that you just can't take a chance on missing out on any. Plus SERIOUS buyers still look over the holiday season, particularly between Christmas & New Year when they have time off or are coming in from out of town.
Web Reference: http://MichiganMoves.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 18, 2007
There are less buyers during these next few weeks in real estate but many less sellers as well because they chose to take their homes off the market. If you are serious about selling your home, (With the right marketing and exposure to drive traffic to your home) these next few weeks could be the key. I just sold one on a main road that had been on the market for six months with another agent and I delivered 3 offers to the seller within 10 days. In the end the seller accepted their full asking price from a buyer that waived their inspection AND had the ability to close in just ten days. While that is almost unheard of in this market, there are very serious agents out there that do work through the holidays to help sellers get their homes sold.
Some believe this is a good idea because it changes the days on the market on the MLS. However, an experience realtor who is a buyers representative will know to look at the history on the property and how many times it has been listed. If you home is not selling it may be good to pull it off in order to make some up grades such as painting, decluttering (packing), staging, and/or reconsidering your price.
I think it is really up to you. Personally, I think a lot of buyers start looking right after the holidays but many people working in other countries come and visit during the holidays, know they will be moving back and look at houses. This use to happen to me ALL the time when the Big Three were moving people in and out.
December has usually been one of my best month's of the year in real estate, and I am just a few miles away. Your home shows well now and you could miss the opportunity to work with any relocating buyers who only look for a few days and make a selection.
Web Reference: http://mioaklandcounty.com
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
leave it on the market...get a list of SOLDS in the past six months to get a handle on what the homes are really selling for...not what people are asking...then reevaluate your price in January
First let me say that without looking at your neighborhood and your home it is rather difficult to make this statement but six months without with out an offer you might want to ask yourself a few questions.
How many times has the home been shown? What has been the feedback from buyers and agents who have viewed your home? It only takes one good offer from a buyer do want to risk missing that by taking the house off the market ?

I hope you do have great success in selling your home !!!
I don't think it's a bad idea to take it off the market for two weeks... especially if your listing has been active for 6 months. In January - it will appear fresh & new to buyers!

If your house is competitive and gorgeous (like it sounds...) you shouldn't worry about the 2-3 weeks off the market. Yours will shine brightly, if it's priced competitively. Sounds like your agent knows what she's doing.
Web Reference: http://www.DanaSellsGR.com