Ethan, Home Seller in Nassau County, NY

Is there an expiration date for permits in nassau county? Found a 1958 one for our house. If not, how do I go about closing it? tks!

Asked by Ethan, Nassau County, NY Tue Aug 2, 2011

Trying to sell our house and for the first time found an open permit dating from 1958 for a sewer connection. Not sure if the work was ever done, but would like to close the permit if not already expired. Thanks so much for your help!

Answers

4
Lillian Tramantano advise is questionable being that Complete Expediting is owned by her son Chris.
Used Complete Expediting would highly not recommend using this company. Bad experience!
For an accurate answer, check with your local building's department....
Hi Ethan,
You may just have a souvenir! In order to give you an exact answer I would have to know where you live. In general you will have to go to the building department in the municipality where you live. Example: unincorporated areas go to your town i.e. Town of Hempstead or North Hempstead or Oyster Bay. If you live in an incorporated village go to your village hall. Ask for for the file on your property. It has the entire history for work done on your home. If you have an open permit you will have to start with a new one and close that out. But you probably just have an old copy that was left behind.
I am pretty sure they will want you to start fresh. More than likely due to the fact that so much has changed by way of rules, setbacks, etc.
If you want , you could probably just go there with your paperwork and ask someone to look at your file. They may have something on file that you do not.
If you want to consult an expeditor: Complete Expediting @ 516-353-5360 or completeexpediting.com

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions,

Lillian Tramantano, GRI
Associate Broker/Certified Home Marketing Specialist
516-678-6648
ltramantano@coachrealtors.com
Successfully Marketing & Selling Real Estate For Over 25 Years!