Njseller, Home Seller in New Jersey

Is there an easy way to find out who the best agents are in your area?

Asked by Njseller, New Jersey Fri Apr 27, 2012

Answers

12
There are standard awards that the New Jersey Association of Realtors bestows upon the most successful agents in the state. The Circle of Excellence award (achieved by only 8 agents in the Warren County Board of Realtors in 2011) is a good standard as it is universal amongst different agencies.

Contact three agents that have been successful at selling in your community. Make sure they bring along copies of listings that they have sold recently. Give me a call at 908 343 5328 and we can discuss my success at selling homes in this market and see if I can assist you.
Sites such as Trulia and Zillow publish agent reviews that could be very helpful. The more good reviews the better and check to see if they are reviews from clients as opposed to friends and family members.

Asking for a referral from friends and family members are also a good way to find top notch local agents.
You can ask friends, family or co-workers in your area who they used, as referrals are one of the best ways to connect a Realtor with buyers/sellers. Or perhaps you have a realtor that you know from another area who can recommend you someone. For example, I have the ability to help buyers and sellers pick the top Realtors in any given area and most places abroad. I review their profiles and interview the agents before I refer them to my clients. I have been very successful with this process as it is my reputation that is on the line so I make sure that I help to pick the best agents available.

I also recommend that you interview multiple Realtors/Brokers. Not all companies provide the same level of service in terms of internet presence and marketing ability. After the interview process, you'll be able to make a better informed decision. Ask for references and recommendations prior to interviewing the agents. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
2010-2011 Coldwell Banker International President’s Circle Award Recipient
CARTUS & SIRVA Certified Relocation Specialist
Previews Luxury Home Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x-103
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
http://www.FrankDolski.Com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 31, 2012
I think best way is search in some good blogs. And also need to read their customers reviews. I got a company which is good for profession.
In apartment moves, you should take pictures of every room once it is empty and clean. Ideally, your landlord performs a move-out inspection. Attend it and get a copy of the move-out checklist. Try to get the landlord to sign off on your pictures during this time.
Send the pictures you took via e-mail (or better yet, print them out at a local drugstore and send them through certified mail) to your soon-to-be-ex-landlord. Send a copy of the package to yourself and do not open it. That way, you have concrete evidence that you did not leave the apartment damaged or messy. Unfortunately, too many landlords are dishonest and will say just about anything to keep your security deposit. Having this evidence will protect you especially if you are denied a large sum of money and must go to court to collect it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 31, 2012
John raises a good measureable - the Circle of Excellence awards accurately reflect agent production.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
You are right to focus on agent expertise and experience in selecting a resource to support your effort. There are thousands of agents in the MLS and a suprisingly large number have little to no production. The sale of your home is too important to entrust to someone who lacks the experience and know-how to get the job done.

Identify a short list of agents in your area- from referrals, by researching sites such as Trulia, and then interview them. Ask about their experience, read their testimonials, call their references. And do watch for heavy hitters that are oversubcribed. I always like to make the point that I have the commitment AND capacity to keep my promises. I do not take on more than I can handle well --- so do watch for that.

Good luck to you!
Jeannie Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
Yes, there are several ways. My first recommendation is to get a referral from someone you like, respect and trust. A referral is worth more than any web review in the world! Next, check out Trulia, Zillow and Google for reviews of agents and take some time to read them before choosing a few agents to interview. When you interview these agents, they should come prepared with a listing packet and presentation high lighting what sets them apart from other agents in the area. They should be able to communicate a solid marketing strategy to you, and it is also a good sign if they have their own website.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
Hi there NJSeller,

There is! Trulia has built the Find A Pro tool, which allows you to find the best real estate professionals in your area based in recommendations from clients and the quality and consistency of their contributions to the Voices community. You can think of it like a Yelp for agents.

Here are the top real estate agents in your area, according to our Find A Pro tool:
http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/07840-agent--43449

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

Andrew Wilkinson
Community Manager, Trulia Voices
andrew@trulia.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 2, 2012
Not to upset the Trulia world, but that link has several agents that are not even in the business anymore.
Flag Wed May 2, 2012
Buying or selling?

The easiest way of doing anything usually proves to not be the best.........

Investing time in the process and finding someone that knows the local market well, has a huge visibility, benefits for an effictive marketing plan, has large internet visibility, is commited to success, and has the right chemistry to work with you on this initiative can help greatly.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 28, 2012
NJ seller,

I think that interviewing several agents is a good way to start. If you know people in the area, ask for agents they used and thought did a good job. If that's not possible, call at the local agencies and start interviewing.

The first question I would ask them is, not how many listings they have, but to show you a print out from the MLS of all their listings, how many actually sold, how long they took to sell, how many price reductions there were along the way prior to the sale, and the final list price to sell price ratio. I would also ask how many of them expired and did not re-list.

A realtor who has many, many listings, and/or has been in the business for a long time, doesn't necessarily mean they are a good agent, it means they are a good "listing agent." It also means that if they are doing their job well for all their sellers, they may not have enough time to pay attention to details as a less "busy", but just as knowledgable and efficient Realtor.
Now, even the "best" agents can't work miracles, and sometimes even a well priced, well marketed home doesn't sell, but a pattern of their listings having price reductions, expiring, etc, will give you a good idea if the agent is a "listing agent" or a "sellers listing agent".

Ask what they, and their company provide, as far as marketing is concerned and if they have a market plan in place if the house doesn't sell as quickly as you would like.

Ask about their knowledge of the local market. Make sure they provide a CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) and have good reasoning behind their recommended list price.
If you are comfortable with their explanation of the local market conditions, and their rationale behind their CMA, LISTEN to their advice and don't say, well you recommend X so let's list at X + 20K, because we can always lower the price. Thats' what gets sellers into trouble by chasing the market. Plus an old listing, that started high, and has had price reductions sends a message to potential buyers you may be becoming desperate to sell. Oh and don't always go with the person who gives you the highest list price. If there's not much difference among two realtors and the third come in much higher, that should be a red flag that they just might be a "listing agent"

Ask for references of previous clients. Of couse this will be skewed to those clients the agent knows think he/she did a great job, but it helps.

Ask what distinguished them from other agents. It should include a promise to be accessible, a good negotiator, honesty, good problem solving skills (problems always arise in transactions) etc.

Also use your gut feelings to determine if the agent's personality is a good fit for you because you may be working with them for a while :)

Lastly, ask about what they charge for commission, and for reasons why they are worth what they charge. (Remember commission is negotiable, but the agent should have some valid answers to this question)

I disagree that the NUMBER of Trulia and Zillow reviews are useful. The quality of one or two good reviews is just a good as 10 of them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 28, 2012
Dear NJ Seller. I have the ability through our relocation department to locate the top Realtors and the top Brokers in any given area. I have connected sellers and buyers with agents all over the country. So to answer your question, the answers is yes. I have referred many sellers and buyers to NJ Realtors and I interview their Brokers, profiles and market share. The, I interview them personally before I recommend them as it is my reputation. Please email me or call me if you have any questions or would like some help.

Sincerely,Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
Previews Luxury Home Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x-103
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
http://www.FrankDolski.Com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 28, 2012
Typically you should start with people you know and trust personally to give you a recommendation. Then interview the individuals to find out how long they have been in the business and what their qualifications (designations) are. Just because an agent has professional designations does not mean they are excellent agents...but it does show a committment to the profession.

Secondly you need to know if you can "get along" with the agent. Are they going to listen to you...or are they going to spoon feed you what they think you need.

It's a hiring process relative to a very big investment...so be careful, and best of luck!!

You might start with Trulia in your area for some ideas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 27, 2012