Jen, Home Seller in North Richland Hills,...

Is there a way to make a listing new again by taking it off for a few days?

Asked by Jen, North Richland Hills, TX Mon Apr 18, 2011

Answers

6
Rick DeVoss’ answer
I have been selling homes in the NRH area for over 30 years, and statistics show that the average house takes 80 to 90 days to sell. But ask yourself: Is my house "average"? Better yet, ask your Real Estate Agent to evaluate the property compared to others on the market. You've got to beat your competition. And that means your house has to be priced below average if you want it to sell faster than average. And it has to be in better condition than average if you want it to sell faster than average. I suggest you go out and look at other homes for sale in the area, and see what buyers are seeing. Ask your Agent how the home is being marketed. Do everyting you can to make a showing go smoothly.
The bottom line answer to your question depends on which MLS system you are in, so answers from other parts of the country are worthless.

Rick DeVoss, with The Michael Group
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 7, 2011
In Austin you need to pull it for 90 days. You still have the combined days on market that will show the total days and every agent and many consumer sites will still show the total time on the market.

Instead of trying to make it new again you should focus on pricing the home correctly and preparing it to show in the best possible way. Nobody is fooled by the days on the market. I took over a listing that was on the market for over 150 days with another broker.

When I took the listing ti was honest with them about the price ranges their home would need to be i to attract an offer. I even took them to view the competition and that was an eye opener for them. Fortunately they were in a position to price the home correctly and we received a successful purchase offer in less than 14 days after putting the home back on the market.

Pricing trumps everything. Everybody, and I mean everybody, wants a deal. If you are moving up or to another location price your home right, sell it and move on. Then take advantage of the market with the purchase of your next home.

I understand that can be hard to do... I even have similar issues when I sell my own properties but you need to understand that we do not dictate a homes value, the market does.

Good luck with your sale.

Don Groff
REALTOR | Mortgage Broker | Consultant
Buy - Sell - Lease - Invest
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
Looks like you are in the DFW market where I work. Our MLS, run by the Metrotex Association of Realtors, requires that a property be off the market for 30 days before the days on market can begin at zero again. But the old DOM never goes away - any member agent can always find out how many days the home was previously listed. Trying to make a listing appear again as a new listing is kind of like the tail wagging the dog - better marketing and better pricing are better ways to get your property sold. I'm in the area if you need assistance and best regards, Kim
If your property has been listed for quite some time, and have received no offers, rather than worrying on how to make the listing appear as new, focus on pricing and marketing--review comps with your agent, recently closed similar properties in the immediate area, see what the data suggests and adjust accordingly; also review marketing, does it maximize your exposure, if not do adjust accordingly--do keep in mind that a home is worth what someone is willing to pay for it; it doesn’t matter what the seller needs or potential buyers can afford to spend. Market conditions do matter as does the immediacy for a transaction to take place.
Unless you withdraw your listing and relist with new MLS# the answer is no. Ask yourself this, if my car is a few weeks old and put it in te garage for awhile is the car still considered brand new?
Each area MLS system is different with this so you will need to ask your agent. In some areas it needs to be off for days or weeks or months. Our system has two date counters. One is the current listing days on market and the other is cumulative days on market. To make the clock go to zero it must be off the market for 90 days, so you see some large numbers on the cumulative days.